UKBouldering.com

Where would you go first week of December? (Read 5303 times)

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
Where would you go first week of December?
September 02, 2015, 12:16:20 pm
Looks like I'll be able to take time off for a climbing trip first week of December.

El Chorro and Costa Blanca sprang to mind for winter sun destinations but I've already been to those (not that I wouldn't go again). Though had a lot of rain in Costa Blanca when I went at a similar time a few years ago. I also considered Font but I don't know if it would be a bit of a risky choice weather wise.

Would be psyched to go bouldering or sport climbing - essentially I want as reliable conditions as possible to maximize on my meagre abilities on this only climbing trip of the year for me. Sport grades 6c-7c, boulder grades up to 7A+ would be the sweet spot.

Any suggestions from the UKB cognoscenti?

Thanks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Kalymnos? Turkey?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I spent the first two weeks of Dec in Montgrony on a big Euro trip some years back and conditions where ideal. Low temps but as the crag is S facing and on top of a hill it gets the sunlight right until sundown (some places like Terradets are good for a brief sunlight window and then unbearably cold once the shade comes round).
It's a good crag with lots of mid length tufa routes of all angles. Location is spectatcular. Think Rockfax may have a downloadable miniguide.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Chulilla is another good mid winter choice. Take a look at these topos:  http://chulillaclimbing.com/crags/

If you like pockets then Cantobre in France is a an established mid winter venue: Topo here  http://chadurif.fr/topo-5.html

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I'd prefer Chulilla to Montgrony, but that depends on the preferred style of climbing of course. The weather is more stable in Chulilla as well.

St Leger or Buoux or a number of spots in Provance?

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
Thanks for the info guys.

I don't know if I have a 'preferred style' - don't massively enjoy sustained crimping and pocket pulling is a bit tough on my finger joints. Juggy overhanging tufa wrestling always seems the easiest to train for at the Westway!

tomtom

• forum hero
leftfield suggestion but Tenerife? Weather will be perfect then...
I can lend you an unused guide if you like (it cost enough it'd better get some use!)
T

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Thanks for the info guys.

I don't know if I have a 'preferred style' - don't massively enjoy sustained crimping and pocket pulling is a bit tough on my finger joints. Juggy overhanging tufa wrestling always seems the easiest to train for at the Westway!

For juggy overhangning tufa style wrestling, St Leger is the best of the places I mentioned.

Montgrony isn't bad either. It's nice to stay in the hotel and have 25 m to the crag. The refugio gets mixed reviews.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Cimai with Chateauvert etc nearby, quite crimpy though.

andy popp

• forum hero
Personally, I'm going to Sweden in the first week of December. It might be optimistic, but I am hoping to boulder.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Bishop.

tomtom

• forum hero

Personally, I'm going to Sweden in the first week of December. It might be optimistic, but I am hoping to boulder.

By torchlight? ;)

*depending on how far north you get :)

IS2

• addict
Consider going back to the Blanca... Rain is rare, generally warm and several " newer crags " like Vallada and Coccentaina that get the sun and have lots of routes of the grades you seek. Also several new venues if you do the research.

Me, got to be Bruixes @ terradets, the warm enough window perfectly matches my "capable enough window".

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

By torchlight? ;)

*depending on how far north you get :)

Gothenburg should be fine in the beginning of December if, by some miracle, it doesn't rain.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

If you're going to the north of Sweden for bouldering in December, you'll need to have a more relaxed view on blow-torching than advised in much of the rest of the world. A lighting rig will also come in handy

andy popp

• forum hero
Jesus, that must be cold. Luckily, I won't be going further north than Gothenburg. Praying for a miracle already.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Personally, I'm going to Sweden in the first week of December.

you going to collect your Nobel Prize ?

andy popp

• forum hero
Ssshhh!!! Light under the old bushel and all that.

tomtom

• forum hero

Personally, I'm going to Sweden in the first week of December.

you going to collect your igNobel Prize ?

a dense loner

• forum hero
Lapland, get a jump on the little buggers!

Steve R

• forum abuser
Sorry slight hijack.  Where would be the best place to stay as a lone wolf in Chuilla and ease of meeting partners?  Can only imagaine this would be pretty desperate in most of the Cataluna places, terradetts, etc.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
In El Altico, Nuria and Pedro's Refugio. The parking lot with climbers staying in their vans is at walking distance if you fail to find partners in the Refugio

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
but this would surely be easier in Cornudella or Rodellar?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
if you have never been to Buoux.... go!!

WilliCrater

If you fancied somewhere well off the beaten track then you could try Cyprus.  It has enough spread amongst the island in the grades you mention to keep you going for a week, especially if you split your time between north and south sides of the island.  And the weather is generally pretty good in early December (not guaranteed of course).

Information on the Southside here: http://www.cyprusrocks.eu
and a bit of info on the north side here: http://www.murray-mountaineering.com/trnc_climbing.php

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal