UKBouldering.com

Free downloadable supplements for Northumberland guides (Read 23706 times)

jdal

• regular
We (The NMC) are in the process of producing free downloadable PDF supplements for the two definitive Northumberland guides covering new stuff since publication. We are using issuu.com to host these, they are on a stack here: http://issuu.com/thenmc/stacks/f8ff12f0f58442aaa390d0fff4192397  (can't see how to do links properly in this forum)

This is a rolling program, so it may be worth your while subscribing to the stack if you're interested. Everything is currently bouldering and most of the stuff thereafter will be as well, although there are some tasty new "routeing" crags (like Si Lichfields stuff on Bizzle)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Looks great!

jdal

• regular
Cheers.

Yeah, I should've said all feedback welcome. You'll have Mr Blake to contend with though, I'm just the messenger. Steve's the new NMC Guidebook editor.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
These are great. The online club magazines are pretty good too, there goes my afternoon!

Wad point to you to pass on the Steve.

jdal

• regular
Another venue added to the list of free topos - Caller Crag, in 2 sections.

It does contain a plea for photos, currently these are, of necessity, a bit of a family album with a few Mark Savage + Dan Varian contributions. Also, there are a couple of missing grades where Bob S won't own up.
http://issuu.com/thenmc/stacks/f8ff12f0f58442aaa390d0fff4192397

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
Do you know why the Caller Crag pdfs aren't downloadable (as far as I can tell), but the others are?

Good work!

andy_e

• forum hero
I too have an issue with issuu. Are they downloadable as separate pdfs anywhere?

jdal

• regular
Not downloadable eh. Guess I ballsed up. Give it a try now.

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
All working now, cheers.  :thumbsup:

Do you know what (if) other areas are in the works?

Andy_e - to download them click on share.

lemony

• player
Looks great, have used the Blakey's guide and have The Stell guide sat on the coffee table at home waiting for a good day.

Have bumbled about at Caller in the past so it'll be good to have a guide.

jdal

• regular
Ben - The areas are in the preamble to each guide. The Stell, Whiteheugh, Raven’s Crag, Caller Crag, Corby’s and Edlingham, Greensheen Hill, Parkside Wood,The Maiden Chambers Area, St Cuthbert’s Cave, The Bowden Area,The Wanneys Group, Beanley Moor and Hunterheugh, Blakey’s Block, Cockenheugh, Kyloe Out Rothley,The Ravensheugh Area, Banno Crags, Titlington and the Turban, South Yardhope, Brady’s Crag, Coquet View, Shitlington, Lookwide, Howlerhirst, High Crag, Black Crag

There are also a couple of Si Lichfields guides (Aid/Little Wanney, Tosson, Fox Holes, Bizzle (not bouldering!)

And at least one stonking crag is being looked at by a few bods. Must keep mum though.

"In the works" is a bit grand though. Steve's beavering away, but for some reason he keeps disappearing to go climbing.

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
Nice! Good to see South Yardhope in there. I can think of a couple areas that stonking crag could be... Hopefully this will encourage people to check out the 'other' County.

Wood FT

• forum hero

SA Chris

• forum hero
Titlington

8) 8)

andy_e

• forum hero
From what I've heard, Shitlington is anything but!

lemony

• player
From what I've heard, Shitlington is anything but!

It certainly looks good, I think that quite a chunk of it is banned/private property though.

jdal

• regular
Just spoken to Blakey and Shitlington is almost done. It's one of the best crags in the county for bouldering, and would be clear winner if we could access the eastern end.

OT - Why can't I put smileys in? Or quote other posts?

andy_e

• forum hero
Shit the bedlington. Plus the Battlesteads in Wark is a great post-climb boozer too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Or quote other posts?

You should be able to?

Quote function on right?

jdal

• regular
Or quote other posts?

You should be able to?

Quote function on right?

:off: Doesn't work in Edge. Probably why it's blisteringly fast, it doesn't actually do anything  ;)

lemony

• player
Just spoken to Blakey and Shitlington is almost done. It's one of the best crags in the county for bouldering, and would be clear winner if we could access the eastern end.

Great stuff. Good job sorting that website bug out too.

Sam

sjw

• obsessive maniac
We were 'asked' to leave Shitlington by the farmer this summer before we'd started climbing. He said that we had no right to climb there under cROW and that no one had climbed there for at least the 20 years that he'd been there. We were definitely on the non-private part of the crag, but were obviously polite to him, packed up and left.

My friend did make the BMC aware of it, but haven't heard whether they made contact with said farmer.

We have since learned that the documented climbing is at the end of the crag which is out of view of the farm, although there was chalk on the blocs where we were.

Maybe just worth keeping a low profile as not to upset the situation further?

Ps. It looked proper class.

jdal

• regular
We were 'asked' to leave Shitlington by the farmer this summer before we'd started climbing. He said that we had no right to climb there under cROW and that no one had climbed there for at least the 20 years that he'd been there. We were definitely on the non-private part of the crag, but were obviously polite to him, packed up and left.

My friend did make the BMC aware of it, but haven't heard whether they made contact with said farmer.

Yeh, this has been discussed, I'm not sure if the BMC have approached the farmer yet. Not sure who owns what there though.

There has been another incident recently where we've cow towed to farmers & landowners when we are going about our lawful business & climbing on CRoW land. It looks like there is a de facto multi-month closure of The Stell now so the rearing of birds isn't disturbed  :furious:.  The advice of at least one of the BMC team who negotiated during the drafting of the CRoW legislation would be to stick up for your rights and continue climbing. The landowner would be committing an offence if he forced you to leave. The other point of view is that said landowner could tip oil all over the crag, or stack silage against it. It's an increasing problem, we're getting caught up in the Countryside Alliance v Townies war I fear, along with increased intensity of bird rearing.

Plus, just to complicate things, at Shitlington, a good few years ago there was an incident of some kind, gates left open and horses getting onto the road or something. Maybe that's a factor.

Dirty Lion

• regular
Is it just the farm over the wall at the far end of the crag (ie the out of bounds bit) that has beef with climbers at the crag or are we talking about the farm near the middle of the crag (where the pennine way crosses it) that is unhappy also?

jdal

• regular
Is it just the farm over the wall at the far end of the crag (ie the out of bounds bit) that has beef with climbers at the crag or are we talking about the farm near the middle of the crag (where the pennine way crosses it) that is unhappy also?

Dunno to be honest. Just need to get the access rep to get up there and talk to people. Offering to buy the crag has been considered.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal