UKBouldering.com

Kids+camping+beach (Read 3833 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Kids+camping+beach
July 16, 2015, 05:51:05 pm
Weather looks good this weekend so thinking of heading to East coast with the kids and a tent. Liked the look of Wold farm but they are fully booked. Any recommendations of tent friendly sites in the Filey, Brid area? Probably want to avoid one of the massive caravan sites if poss. Also any beach recommendations? Can drive further afield but as it's only one night  ideally want to avoid driving for half the weekend.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Kids+camping+beach
July 16, 2015, 06:20:50 pm
Fileys my pick of the E coast resorts.. Less arcady than the others if that makes any sense. If you're further south Fraisthorpe beach 2-3 miles south of Brid is my favourite (nothing there apart from beach and kite surfers etc..).

Soz - no camping recommendations...

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Kids+camping+beach
July 16, 2015, 06:21:39 pm
Some new bouldering on the cliffs just north of Filey too.. lees been posting about it on Facebook.

rich d

• forum hero
#3 Re: Kids+camping+beach
July 16, 2015, 06:30:05 pm
Staithes or sandsend are my new favourites - much less arcady - near Whitby so not too far.

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#4 Re: Kids+camping+beach
July 16, 2015, 06:49:15 pm
try bobby bees, we've been going there for a few years - its near filey and is ace, lots of random farm animals wandering around, fire pits, breakfast wagon, great for kids - not far from hunmanby gap, filey etc
http://www.bobbybee.co.uk/home.html

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#5 Re: Kids+camping+beach
July 17, 2015, 06:40:28 am
stayed here a few times 6 or 7 year ago - nothing special, but good location for the Flamborough beaches

http://www.thegrangeholidays.co.uk/touring-camping/

looks like they've been putting some work in since I last went?

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Kids+camping+beach
July 20, 2015, 10:44:19 am
I went to filey 11 years on the trot as a kid, until my parents branched out to exotic Sheringham. Anyway, I know the Yorks coast pretty well, and prefer further north... 

Robin Hood's Bay's great. Years since we stayed here: http://www.hookshousefarm.co.uk/ , but I see from google it gets 5* on tripadvisor and I remember it as a really nice place to say. 10 mins to RHB which has beach/shops/pubs/cafes

Runswick's a bit quieter but has a nice beach and is a great bit of the coast. Not stayed there but friends recommend: http://www.runswickbaycaravanandcampingpark.co.uk/

Finally, https://lythecc.campstead.com/CheckAvailability.asp ...is nice, couple of hundred yards behind the pub in Lythe. Does pods. It's a mile down a steep hill to get to the beach at sandsend though and you'd probably be using the car more (to go goth spotting in whitby). A couple of miles or through the woods is Mugrave Castle, which is worth a look...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Re: Kids+camping+beach
July 20, 2015, 03:48:14 pm
Cheers all, as the forecast for Sunday wasn't great we didn't camp this time just ended up going for the day to Danes Dyke, just past the Brid golf course. Lovely spot, beach was almost empty all day. Steep short walk down from car park to big beach with rock pools etc. Cafe is nice and good value (I'm used to South and SW beaches so prices for parking and food were great!). Headed in to Brid later for a F&C supper. Quality family day, will be back and will check out the recommendations.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#8 Re: Kids+camping+beach
July 20, 2015, 04:23:16 pm
we went here for F&C in Brid last month

http://149fishandchips.co.uk/find-us-bridlington/

perfect

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#9 Re: Kids+camping+beach
July 20, 2015, 04:47:10 pm
we went here for F&C in Brid last month

http://149fishandchips.co.uk/find-us-bridlington/

perfect
Looks good, we went to one in the centre which got a good Trip Advisor write up and has apparently has won awards. Was ok but they left the skin on the fish which is apparently a 'thing' and something they are famous for, personally I wasn't keen. Otherwise good. Think you are spoilt for choice with F&Cs in Brid.

webbo

• forum hero
#10 Re: Kids+camping+beach
July 20, 2015, 05:51:44 pm
Leaving the skin on is an East coast thing. Humanby Gap is another good beach to visit.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 Re: Kids+camping+beach
July 20, 2015, 09:01:07 pm
chippy in wetwang is also good on the way over or back (thomsons I think?)

webbo

• forum hero
#12 Re: Kids+camping+beach
July 20, 2015, 09:07:37 pm
Harpers these days, chain of chippies round East Yorkshire.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#13 Re: Kids+camping+beach
September 07, 2015, 03:25:06 pm
Not sure where to post this, thought there was a 'days out with kids' thread but couldn't find it, maybe we need one...

Just had a winner of a family weekend biking the Cinder Track from Burniston to Whitby. Stayed in Boogle Hole YHA the Saturday night which is awesome and comes highly recommended. It's nothing like a YHA I remember (and unlike most others currently as far as I can work out). If your kids like beaches, pirates, treasure trails, dressing up, making lots of noise, playing hide and seek etc etc it's a kids paradise. Similarly if you enjoy drinking nice beer and eating tasty (and cheap) food sitting by a fire whilst your kids do one or more or all of the above in a very safe location with only the lightest supervision required...you get the picture. NB: I would recommend booking a room in the main building, as you may not want to leave kids asleep in the separate accommodation block, depending on their ages.

The Cinder Track is an old train track similar to Monsal trail but with sea views. Kiddie friendly slight inclines and descents, there aren't many cafes or shops directly on the trail so take packed lunch, although The Raven Hall hotel did a good hot choc and cake whilst we sheltered from the one shower we got . We ended up in Whitby where we spent the afternoon on the beach. The dads biked back and collected the cars on each afternoon which took about an hour (Approx a quarter of time it took the kids).

Good fun all round.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal