UKBouldering.com

Home Audio (Read 25013 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#50 Re: Home Audio
November 10, 2015, 06:07:45 pm
just picked a chromecast audio up today and using tunein to listen to R6 craig charles show.
Plugged in to my DAC via optical cable, seems really good so far.
Any recomendations for other apps to use it with?

If you go to Chromecast/audio it'll recommend you compatible applications. BBC iPlayer Radio now supports it (which is brilliant news for Steve L's Friday Free for All).

I'm really happy with mine, the new CC design means idiots like my Dad won't manage to snap it (too short USB lead, TV on a bracket etc.) and I've plugged the Audio CC into my old Creative powered speakers and they're doing a great job of providing a very neat audio-solution.

If they're discounted on Black Friday I'll buy another and a portable speaker for kitchen/fingerboarding use.

fried

• forum hero
#51 Re: Home Audio
December 28, 2016, 08:46:10 am
Without starting another thread.

I'm getting fed up with my wifi connection cutting, so I'm going to go back to wired in. In the past I used 10m of wire directly into the 3mm jack of my hifi, but the sound quality was bad, I'm thinking of going all HDMi, anyone have any idea what the sound quality would be like? (or if it will work)

I'll run it through yet another digital/ analogue converter, into the amp, although I could go directly into the TV (which is already wired into the amp) Any thoughts?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#52 Re: Home Audio
December 28, 2016, 09:02:53 am
my thoughts: what is this drivel you've just dumped out of your brain onto the internet!!!
You start off talking about Wi-Fi and then LAN cable, then move swiftly on to headphone jacks (3.5mm BTW) and then onto HDMI all of which do totally different things.
Without trying to decipher exactly what you are trying to do and with what, why not try and fix your Wi-Fi problem by either have a better router, a second router or with a Wi-Fi extender?
perhaps some details of your current setup and what the issue with it is would help

fried

• forum hero
#53 Re: Home Audio
December 28, 2016, 09:17:48 am
Made perfect sense to me!

I have a cheap laptop, connected by wifi to one of these, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010DM7M8W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, which is connected to the amp by RCA cable, the signal is excellent on the box, using a speed tester.

It's not the first product like this I've used and other users have had similiar complaints, just wanted to go back to a direct connection (needs to be 10m of cable) get a decent sound without cutting.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#54 Re: Home Audio
December 28, 2016, 10:03:55 am
I don't think it connects to Wi-Fi directly from the laptop to the box, more like it will connect via the router. Sounds like the Wi-Fi card/driver on the box is where it is falling down. Perhaps a firmware update might solve the issue? failing that next logical step would be to hard wire the box to the router with LAN cable, if its the Wi-Fi receiver in the box that is the problem then this should solve it.
Not sure how you're going to use a HDMI cable on that setup, it doesn't have a HDMI output on it?
The best quality output you have on that setup is the digital optical out (SPDIF) but you will need a DAC to be able to use this.
Looking at the reviews on the link, I would suggest that all you're problems are down to the actual box itself and if the solution you end up with costs anything more than a few fuck-alls, then I would replace the box itself

fried

• forum hero
#55 Re: Home Audio
December 28, 2016, 10:30:59 am
You are correct, the router is linked to the neetbox, already by LAN, I think the box is the problem too.

I was thinking of using the HDMi output from the laptop, into something like this  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musou-Extractor-Becoming-Converter-Splitter/dp/B01G6PW280/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482920758&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+rca+converter&psc=1, then directly into the amp by RCA.

My TV is already connected to my amp via toslink using one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/PROZOR-Digital-Toslink-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00KNNSKV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482920977&sr=8-1&keywords=prozor+dac+toslink, no HDMi inputs.

Seems like to much hardwear to me, and I don't really want to have to switch the tv on to listen to music.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#56 Re: Home Audio
December 09, 2017, 04:47:36 pm
I have just got my Onkyo TX-NR609 back after 4 years of it sitting the flat I rent out (mistake, but live and learn eh?).  The HDMI board has gone (common fault) and it's apparently £260 to get the board replaced. I might have a bash repairing it myself at some point.

Anyway, getting to the point.

I listen to music via Spotify and MP3/FLAC from the NAS - currently I do this via the PS3 but I was wondering if there is a nice way of doing this via a wifi streaming music player?  What I would like is a device that could connect to the Onkyo receiver and internet/wifi/NAS that has a nice tablet/phone based user interface - I particularly dislike trying to navigate folders full of music by dot-matrix display...   The Onkyo is net/DNLA enabled but it's pish for navigation.

Any thoughts?

I'd like mid-range quality and price.

fried

• forum hero
#57 Re: Home Audio
December 09, 2017, 05:58:02 pm
Bluesound node 2.

I'll add more later

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#58 Re: Home Audio
December 09, 2017, 07:01:46 pm
When I bought a new Rega hifi system a couple of years back (Turntable, CD player, Amp and DAC) I opted for a Sonos Connect box as the streaming/hard drive option going digital I/O into the DAC then audio/analogue cables into the Amp.

The interface is great and it all runs from the box so the phone is just the controller.  I’ve got Spotify and Tidal accounts, a NAS and stuff on the computers and it all runs sweet through the Sonos Connect.  You can get all the radio stations and stuff too.  Sounds mega...

fried

• forum hero
#59 Re: Home Audio
December 10, 2017, 08:48:54 am
And how much is mid-range for you?

On second thoughts why don't you just use Spotify connect from your phone/tablet/pc app. And use another app on the nas for those files.

Seems like a lot of expense just to get a better control app.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:09:06 am by fried »

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#60 Re: Home Audio
December 10, 2017, 09:28:32 am
I had totally forgotten that the Onkyo is net enabled and has Spotify built in. The app's not great but it works.

In our current flat I'm not sure I can run cat5 cabk, but aparantly I can get a wee WiFi USB dongle for the amp so that might work.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#61 Re: Home Audio
December 10, 2017, 11:44:45 am

Whoops - sorry Fultonius I missed the last sentence.   :-[

fried

• forum hero
#62 Re: Home Audio
December 10, 2017, 11:57:33 am

Whoops - sorry Fultonius I missed the last sentence.   :-[

One man's mid-range might include 200 quid rca interconnects  :ohmy:

cofe

• forum hero
#63 Re: Home Audio
December 13, 2017, 09:10:09 pm
Lower range still: I'm about to replace an old Pure dab radio and looking at wireless speakers - possibly smart speakers. Have binned off the Google Home as the audio reviews aren't great, but considering Sonos One as Google integration is promised next year. I'm wondering whether this means it might even link up with a Chromecast audio. Also looked at Sonos Play 1, Bose, Addon etc.

Any recs for this kind of thing, up to max £200? Listen to most music on internet radio and Spotify. Ta.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#64 Re: Home Audio
December 13, 2017, 09:43:07 pm
Recently got a Home mini (on the Black Friday deal) and the sound is pretty crap however the convenience of using it to play Spotify and Google Play stuff is pretty handy and the kids are loving being able to ask it questions. Kinda of wishing I'd gone for the Home not the Mini. Both are reduced again for Xmas. I might end up getting a Home anyway and putting the mini else where in the house, as being able to 'broadcast' messages such as 'dinners ready' without yelling up two flights of stairs is a big plus. Interesting to see what the Google Max will be like, it's quite large and pricey at the moment (and not yet released in the UK) but early reviews say the sound quality is pretty awesome. Maybe a bit big from kitchen use but will shake up the market a bit with that and the overdue Apple one.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#65 Re: Home Audio
December 13, 2017, 09:52:48 pm
Another cool feature of the Google system is the ability to group devices together. So I've created a group called 'downstairs' with a Chromecast audio and the Home mini. So when I cast to 'downstairs' it plays through both in perfect sync.  :dance1:

cofe

• forum hero
#66 Re: Home Audio
December 13, 2017, 10:19:13 pm
I did wonder about getting a mini for bedside. Not heard about Broadcast, which sounds good. Priority is audio, hence the Sonos, though I'd rather not be stuck with Alexa...

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#67 Re: Home Audio
December 14, 2017, 08:03:25 am
Anyone know the vagaries of Spotify bitrate?

My understanding is you only get 320 kbps if you pay for premium...but...when playing through PS3, or my Onkyo Amp, or through any of the other streaming players mentioned so far - I can't see anywhere to check/change the setting. I can on the laptop.

Anyone know if you get 320 kbps as standard through streamers?

cofe

• forum hero
#68 Re: Home Audio
December 14, 2017, 09:09:38 am
I think I read while researching stuff that Spotify Connect defaults to 320.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#69 Re: Home Audio
December 14, 2017, 10:51:45 am
You wanna get on neilyoungarchives.com - streaming master files at >4000 kbps 24bit/ 196Khz (CD is only 16 bit/ 44.1Khz). And it's free for now. Sounds INCREDIBLE using my MixPre-3 as DAC/ headphone amp, or as DAC pre-amp for my Audioengine A2+ speakers.

Having been unimpressed with my Airport I'm going to stick with the Audioengine active speakers. Future-proof, and if you insist on wireless a bluetooth dongle is about £10.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#70 Re: Home Audio
December 15, 2017, 12:22:37 pm
MixPre-3

8) This looks very interesting. I had no idea SD were making things that are so "affordable".

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#71 Re: Home Audio
December 15, 2017, 01:46:14 pm
It's fucking ace! I got mine via the states so 'only' £500. I used Chris Watson's 744T on a workshop a couple of years back and thought 'if only there was something like this but cheaper and smaller'. Word on the street is the pre-amps might even be better than the 7-series too! Let me know if you want to check it out...

cofe

• forum hero
#72 Re: Home Audio
December 21, 2017, 09:27:10 am
Here's a thing: gapless playback currently doesn't work on Spotify with a Chromecast Audio. Amazing. Thankfully I can use my time machine to go back to 2004 and use iTunes all over again with gaps between songs.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#73 Re: Home Audio
January 06, 2018, 07:39:37 pm
Not cheap but one day left for a deal on two Sonos speakers...
https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal