UKBouldering.com

North Lakes Family Friendly Adventures (Read 5142 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
North Lakes Family Friendly Adventures
July 28, 2015, 05:37:44 pm
So the UKB collective has come up trumps the last few requests lets try again...staying in Keswick next week with the family. Weather looks mixed. Kids are 4 and 7 so too young for Go Ape, Whinlatter red etc. The older one might cope with the blue but the 4yo on a tow bar might be a bit  too exciting. Any recommendations for family friendly adventures to be had. V easy scrambles, caves to explore or camp in? Islands to explore (commonly paddle to the ones on Derwent). Any other local knowledge? Probably know most of the touristy stuff as its a regular visit.

dave

Bit of a drive from Keswick, but the Lakeside & Haverthwaite railway is a decent dodgy weather option.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Immediate things that spring to mind are; Honister slate mine, some of the old slate workings above it on Fleetwith Pike and the bothies up there at Warnscale Head and Dubs. Bowderstone worth seeing if not been there before even just for the kids to run round it a lot. Seem to recall there being some "secret" cave in Stonethwaite somewhere. Watendlath is nice. Pencil museum?!

bolehillbilly

• stalker
A few tried and tested ideas.
Cycling into Keswick from Threlkeld is a good off road option with a couple of good paddling spots en route. 
Bowerstone and then cross the road and go for a swim in the river pools near Grange campsite.  Awesome dam building fun to be had here too. 
Armathwaite is easily accessible and has a small beach and paddling spots and can be dry when wet in the Lakes.
Pencil museum is really great for kids and free if you have a Blue Peter badge.
My personal favourite is sit in the van and read whilst dad climbs boulders on Carrock Fell but it never works out.

tomtom

• forum hero
Family day bouldering at Carrock? ;)

Isnt there the Osprey stuff just N. Of Keswick? Visitor centre - and you can walk up the hill on the opposite side and look at them through binoculars etc...

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Lots of great suggestions so far. Mirehouse is good fun for the family if you haven't been before: http://mirehouse.com

Cave down towards Black Moss Pot is the one most people know about, hard to describe approach details on here though! I walked from Watendlath to Dock Tarn, then down to Rosthwaite and back to Watendlath the other day. My Mrs described it as "kind of like Jurassic World" in terms of scenery and view (minus the dinosaurs). Was about 5 miles with good mix of up and down, and the Scafell to stop at for pint/tea. 4 year old may need assistance however.

Keswick climbing wall up by the stone circle now has a fully functional zip wire if you like that sort of thing. The walk from Keswick up Latrigg is also good fun, and gets you tremendous views over Derwentwater and Bassenthwaite Lake, and can be made into a loop that brings you back through Brundholme Woods.

If you're kids are into it, there is a Minecraft exhibition on at Rheged which can kill a bit of time. Can combine that with a trip to Pooley Bridge for a cool cruise on the Steamers and potter by the shore.

Whilst in Keswick, try the new Gelato on Lake Road, opposite the Dog and Gun Pub. Amazing ice cream!

If I think of anything else I'll post it up. Weather looking better I think, happy days.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Fossil hunting at Whitehaven - http://www.whitehavenfossils.co.uk/  It's mostly plant fossils but you get some very nice ones.

T_B

• forum hero
Fossil hunting at Whitehaven - http://www.whitehavenfossils.co.uk/  It's mostly plant fossils but you get some very nice ones.

OMG. I never thought someone would recommend Whitehaven for anything (other than a good place to get into a fight)!

But, if we're going to recommend heading out west, then the Maryport Aquarium would kill a couple of hours. I quite enjoyed it last time I went.

http://www.coastaquarium.co.uk/

And right next door is a Clip n Climb
http://www.clipnclimbmaryport.co.uk/

You can always stop in Cockermouth on the way to/from for a coffee & cake at Coffee Kitchen http://www.thecoffeekitchen.co.uk/

Trotters (now called 'Lake District Wildlife Park') is good if you're not anti-animals-in-cages:
http://www.lakedistrictwildlifepark.com/index.php

If it's still lashing with rain and you head north to Rheged for Minecraft action, or to the Eden Valley, it's worth knowing about Mrs Miller's Tea Room in Culgaith. Don't be put off by the name. It's probably the best cake selection of any cafe in the universe (ex Sharrow Bay chef or some shizzle): http://www.mrsmillersculgaith.co.uk/

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
You could "go to Centreparcs" with a day pass? ;)

T_B

• forum hero
Leave the kids at Centre Parcs and go for a slap up meal at Mrs Miller's!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
All good stuff cheers All, busy making notes....

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
When I was that age we camped up at Watendlath and did nothing other than mess around on the campsite and poke about in the stream. It was the best weekend of my life up to that point.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I took my two to Aira Force yesterday. Great fun stomping through the woods with lots to keep them engaged, and the waterfalls were bursting due to heavy rain so made for some exciting noise and sights. Car park is a total rip off, though we were lucky and someone kindly donated theirs with an hour left on it. Could tie it in with Rheged and the steamers as there is now a stop off point by the lake.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Brockholes Visitor centre usually has loads of kid friendly stuff on, including 2 kids treetop treks, the larger of which was certainly comparable to anything go ape offers to little uns.
http://www.brockhole.co.uk/attractions/treetop-trek/
 you did say a 7 year old and a 5 five year old?  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero

I took my two to Aira Force yesterday. Great fun stomping through the woods with lots to keep them engaged, and the waterfalls were bursting due to heavy rain so made for some exciting noise and sights. Car park is a total rip off, though we were lucky and someone kindly donated theirs with an hour left on it. Could tie it in with Rheged and the steamers as there is now a stop off point by the lake.

you can park up the road to the side (bigish Free car park) then walk down Aria force (and then back up again)...

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
They have parking meters installed at all the car parks now  :thumbsdown:

tomtom

• forum hero
'Kinnell.. These must be new from last year..

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
They are. They look quite shiny and new. Squeezing every last penny out of folk!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Thanks again for all the tips. Had a good week and managed to make the best of a typical Lakes week weather wise.

- Went to Rheged, decent outdoor play area. Good value (£1.50 entry to Minecraft exhibit, which was ok, but not great). Funny place which can't quite decide what it's trying to be. Very expensive shops. Cafe looked good but we had picnic outside.
- Headed East and tagged a decent road ride with a family visit to Mrs Millers (Cheers TB). As it was late afternoon cake range wasn't huge but the pecan pie I had was excellent. Briefly looked at Brougham Castle. Didn't go in but will return another time. Generally was impressed with what's on offer East of the M6. We rarely head over that way but it quieter than the Lakes and has quite a bit to offer. For the roadies out there did an lovely ride around the Eden Valley finishing with the climb up Great Dun Fell which is incredible. (Biggest road climb in England, 625m of ascent to a radar station). Highly recommended, a strip of perfect tarmac with no cars, gravel etc and a great contrast to the hard climbs in the Lakes.
- Got out on the water a couple of times, did the trip down from Grange to Kettlewell which we have done before and works well with kids as it's with the flow of the river and very sheltered except for the last section across the lake. Cooked kids tea on the beach at Kettlewell.
- Also visited St Herberts island, didn't overnight this time as we didn't get an evening/night/morning weather window, and waking up in heavy rain and paddling back in a high wind probably wouldn't leave good impressions with the kids. There plenty of room to camp on St Herberts, officially they ask you not to overnight but looks like plenty of people do. As long as you don't leave litter I'm guessing it would be ok.
- Also did some research and now know where the caves are in borrowdale and the Langstrath Valley. PM me if you want to know where as it's not the done thing to advertise it widely. That said I found the location pretty easily googling. Didn't visit this time but will do in the future.
- On a wet day the kids went climbing at the King Kong centre. We booked a session for a group of them so they had a go on a top rope, bouldering and indoor caving! They have built a fibre glass tunnel behind the main leading wall. Much better than it sounds, really quite challenging especially when they send them through with their lights off! Not bad value if you book a group. All the kids highly rated it. There's also a smaller play area for the younger ones.

All in all a good week, cheers all  :bow:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:50:06 am by Obi-Wan is lost... »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal