UKBouldering.com

Dovedale Church tidy up (Read 10616 times)

danm

• junky
#25 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
September 08, 2015, 05:38:10 pm
May be able to make it, depends if a last minute Verdon trip comes off.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#26 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
September 22, 2015, 02:49:59 pm
Have PMed everyone who has said they may be available. Please can you reply to confirm if you can make it or not. Cheers. And if anyone one else keen, please also PM.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#27 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
September 22, 2015, 03:08:59 pm
No idea what email address that goes to but if you emailed me I'm afraid I'm working this weekend. Really sorry Jon, hope it goes well. let us know if there is a round two

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#28 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
September 22, 2015, 04:12:33 pm
PM is the private message on this site. Do you not have a notification in "My Messages"?  :-\

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#29 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
September 30, 2015, 11:36:34 am

Before and after (doesn't really do it justice, check the album for more detailed pics)

Thanks again to the everyone who came along on Saturday. Was concerned earlier in the week that we wouldn’t have enough volunteers but in the end we had about the right amount I thought, and wouldn’t have been able to fit any more in the landrover.
The weather was great and we had a full day with lots getting done. Simon from the National Trust was a great help, not only did he drive us in and supply quality gardening tools, but he brought his own chainsaw and put in a massive effort clearing loads of big stuff at ground level.

Stuff done:
 Approach and base clear of vegetation
 Various trees removed from the sides opening up the crag and making access easier
 All gullies between pinnacles cleared of trees
 Routes on gully walls cleared of ivy
 Various tats replaced
 All routes on the front and RHS of the main frontal pillar, wholly or partly cleaned, including ivy clearance from the brilliant looking E5s and E6 on the right

The crag is now in a great condition for anyone after some late season lime trad. Can’t wait to go back there as I’ve yet to actually climb on the crag and the routes looked superb.

Here’s some more pics - https://goo.gl/photos/CgLP1ohrpawe3NDB7

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#30 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
September 30, 2015, 12:11:27 pm
Well done yoot. Apologies for the no show, I was ill. Psyched to get down there!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#31 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
September 30, 2015, 12:25:20 pm
No worries yoot. Lot of it about, my dose of ill came on Sunday, a day or two earlier and I might not have made it myself.

T_B

• forum hero
#32 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
September 30, 2015, 12:32:46 pm
Nice work!

Does Amazona rely on any fixed gear? Sounds as though Jungleland to the left was an aid route before it was freed, so presumably that's full of rotten stuff.

Only ever done Tales of the Riverbank - short lived if I remember rightly, but good rock in the middle section.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#33 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
September 30, 2015, 12:37:12 pm
Nope Amazonia is all natural (as is Wild Country I think). Ben said he snapped a peg on Jungleland whilst cleaning it on Sat, but it has a fair few others in the lower crack - a tough E5 by all accounts.

Here's a pic Mark20 took of ivy clearance at the gully crossroad.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#34 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
September 30, 2015, 01:50:00 pm
Many thanks again for this. I must admit Moff and I did think about it, and have the kit, but sneaked off to climb mountain routes in sunny snowdonia instead.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#35 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
September 30, 2015, 02:42:25 pm
Nice work!

Does Amazona rely on any fixed gear? Sounds as though Jungleland to the left was an aid route before it was freed, so presumably that's full of rotten stuff.

Only ever done Tales of the Riverbank - short lived if I remember rightly, but good rock in the middle section.

The peg I snapped cleaning was from the near the top on Jungleland - after all the hard climbing. Amazonia has no fixed gear and looks pretty well protected.

I climbed Jungleland a few years ago as well as cleaning it the other day. It's good, lots of pegs but they can all be backed up with the exception of the first few of which there is a) loads close together and b) some are newer replacements. There is a cheeky move at the start then the cool roof. At the top I traved R to the snakes alive belay. Think I did Tales afterwards and they didn't really feel the same grade.

Not sure of the routes on the rest of the crag but there is some pretty nice looking rock, especially now it is visible.

mark20

• junky
#36 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
September 30, 2015, 04:13:58 pm
Thanks for organising this John, and thanks to Simon and the National Trust  :great: Fun but exhausting day!

Before I forget, a few weeks ago I cleaned up Zulu Dawn, the big blunt E5 arete just over the river. All the threads can be backed up with wires / small cams and the pegs above seemed pretty good.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#37 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
October 01, 2015, 01:57:12 am
Been there, done that, and I even got the T-shirt. And it fits.

Well done organising that Jon, and great to meet the rest of the crew.

I've tried the link to the photos BTW, but nothing seems to appear.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#38 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
October 01, 2015, 09:49:57 am
Anyone else unable to open that link? Works okay for me.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#39 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
October 01, 2015, 02:19:34 pm
Works ok but it did say address invalid for a few seconds before finally opening up

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#40 Re: Dovedale Church tidy up
October 01, 2015, 02:41:01 pm
Nice work!

Three pics off the FA on UKC here http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/item.html?nstart=0&crag=962&route=Amazona . Gives some clues to the gear. Abbing down there looked to be a bomber small wire at the base of the line of pockets at the top, with perhaps a sprint from there to the break.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal