UKBouldering.com

Big multipitch and the Dolomites - tips for the punter (Read 16168 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
The purpose designed wall packs like the Petzl Bug generally seem over-featured to me - too many straps and widgets. I have a ten litre £10 Decathlon minimal day pack that I think is near perfect.

They even do a purpose designed light'n'fast rock route sack. Looks well designed, costs next to nothing and is less than half the weight of the Pod one I currently use. Order placed.

Update on the Decathlon bag, which had its first multipitch outing today. Construction quality seems fine and I'm generally quite pleased with it. Where I would fault the design compared to the Pod is that the Decathlon bag is longer, narrower and therefore sits further down my back, which obstructs chalkbag access a bit.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
One thing I've started doing depending on the route, if its got hard and easy in it and is 10+ pitches, is to take two pairs of boots. 5.10 velcros for hard pitches and 5.10 ascents for the others. This worked a trick this summer in the dolys when climbing in the sun. A pair of velcros is 600g and justifying the extra weight soon paid off with minimal pain and confidence to go at the hard stuff.
Keeping your socks (floppy walker ones) in pockets and sticking booted feet in them on belays to keep them toasty when needed, is another obvious trick but not seen so often.
Tried using 2 of the new 7.4mm superlight ropes... these were a nightmare, super light and super knotty, the weight saving against time effing about untangling on abs :no: pff major stress.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
One thing I've started doing depending on the route, if its got hard and easy in it and is 10+ pitches, is to take two pairs of boots.

Amen to that, especially if hauling a small bag.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal