UKBouldering.com

First DSLR... (Read 13857 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
First DSLR...
August 10, 2015, 03:08:34 pm
So I like taking photos and have a decent eye for good shots (according to various uncertified sources) and reckon I'd take even better shots using something better than my phone. Particularly where any kind of zoom is required. It's my 40th in January and I'm thinking of asking for a Digi SLR, thing is, I haven't the foggiest where to start. There are a number of not half bad photo bods in the parish and would highly value your advice... Probably not looking to spend more than £300 and would consider second hand if advisable!

Thanks...

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: First DSLR...
August 10, 2015, 03:34:01 pm
I would pick canon or nikon, depending on which one you feel more affinity with.  Once you've picked a family, that's your family.  Barring divorce level ructions.

I'd pick them rather than the others - pentax, sony, etc. - as they are better at the top end, have more accessories/lenses, and are just, as a family, better even though you could argue for hours about specific models.

Once you've picked your family... pick the most up-market one you can afford, stick a kit lens on, and proceed until you have experience and know what you want.

This site is quite good for reviews and tech specs and things:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Ignore "ken rockwell", IMHO.

Lastly... you might note the canon EOS 100D.  It's very light, which might appeal to you as a smartphone user.  Bit pricey though perhaps, but only by 25 quid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EOS-100D-Digital-Camera/dp/B00BYOY9EO/ref=sr_1_1/277-5278358-0310049?ie=UTF8&qid=1439217202&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+eos+100d+dslr

dave

#2 Re: First DSLR...
August 10, 2015, 03:49:12 pm
Assuming you also want a decent lens too you'd be looking at something a few years/generations old with a 300-sheet budget. You might be able to pick up a Nikon D90 and kit zoom for about 300 bananas. Might be worth buying from a dealer with guarantee, or someone you know, as some of these cameras will have seen a hell of a lot of traffic by now.

Be sure you want to carry something as big as an SLR around. Mirrorless systems like the Fuji X, Olympus/Panasonic m43rds etc are a very worthy (for most folk better), option these days.

General points - if you have the option then money is always better spent on lens than camera. Kit lenses can often be the limiting factor, no point putting a top notch body behind a shit lens. Consider a decent prime lens, contrary to they want to sell you, you don't actually need a lens that goes from ultra-wide to long tele straight away.

Dunno if its the case now still but Nikon's cheap kit lenses always had a much better reputation than Canon kit lenses.

Consider extra crap you need to budget for, memory cards, card reader, camera case/bag, batteries etc, especially if second hand cameras don't come with the original charger/leads etc.

Also, try to have a look at some shit in a shop first, try them out. The bigger the viewfinder view the better. The less often you have to delve into a menu to do anything the better.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3 Re: First DSLR...
August 10, 2015, 04:02:10 pm
I just wrote a long reply then found Dave had written everything I was going to say (and more).  :lol:

You can search Flickr by camera model and quite often look in the "exif data" for each image that comes up to see what lens was used. This is a great way to reassure yourself that a camera is capable of taking pictures as good as you hope to create. You'll find it confirms what dave says about lens> body too.

Ignore "ken rockwell", IMHO.

:agree:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:13:18 pm by cheque »

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: First DSLR...
August 10, 2015, 04:19:03 pm
For your budget I'd be looking at buying a micro 4/3rds camera kit (prime and zoom) used.

Buy used.

Join talk photography and make 30 posts and last for more than one month and you've got good access to a buyers market for used camera gear (all dealing is to be done in post etc.)

A quick look on Harrison's used has thrown up a GF3 (admittedly not the best) body for £70!!!

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Used/Used-Cameras.htm

nic mullin

• menacing presence
#5 Re: First DSLR...
August 10, 2015, 11:48:48 pm
Lots of good advice so far. As above - if you're after an SLR, go Canon or Nikon - more cheap secondhand lenses/accessories to be had, more chance you'll be able to borrow/swap things with your mates, more chance of tracking down a charger when you forget yours on holiday. Also neither Canon or Nikon have made a bad SLR for years - whatever you get, it'll blow you away compared to your phone.

Are you bothered about video? If you are, you'll want to go lower spec and get something newer. If not, just get the best specced body you can, unless weight is a consideration - cheaper SLRs are usually smaller and lighter, but slower in use, have smaller, dimmer viewfinders and are more fiddly to get at the settings. I'm sure you've been told already, but don't worry about how many megapixels it's got. Canon make it easy to work out where in the product line you are - the more digits before the "D" the further down it is. Nikon make it confusing - "D" then one digit is top-end, next down is 3 digits, then two, then four. Something like a second hand Nikon D90 or Canon 50D should be in your price range with a kit lens.

Second hand is very worthwhile for digital cameras because they go obselete so quickly, but as mentioned above, it might well be worth buying from somewhere that'll give you a guarantee if you're buying something high-mileage. London Camera Exchange, Ffordes, Mifsuds and Harrisons are good places to look.

As to whether you want an SLR or mirrorless/micro 4/3 - what are you going to be using it for? If you want to to take it out running/walking/biking and still have something you can tweak about with mirrorless is a good option. If you want to take pictures of things that move fast or in low light, or would like to do more tweaking with your settings more quickly, an SLR is probably a better choice. While mirrorless cameras are quite small and quite light, they are definitely not pocketable - you'll still have to carry it as a separate item. Unless weight matters, I wouldn't choose mirrorless on the basis of thinking it'll be massively more convenient to take out and about than an SLR.

For gear reviews, Ken Rockwell and DPReview have already been mentioned - DPreview tend to obsess over technical details which may or may not be important, KR is more opinionated and but a livlier read. Both are worth a look, as is Thom Hogan for Nikon and some mirrorless stuff. Take them all with a pinch of salt though, only you know what you want from your camera, and if that reviewer doesn't care about the things that you do the review is of limited use.

Unless you already have something specific in mind (like birdwatching) I'd get a kit zoom (18-55mm is pretty normal and covers moderate wide angle to short tele on a crop sensor SLR) first and work out what you want after using it for a while.

If you like taking landscapes, a tripod (even a cheapo one) is a cheaper way to get sharp pictures than a good lens, so worth thinking about.  Software is worth thinking about too - lightroom is fantastic and much easier if you use it from the start.

Hope that's of some help.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#6 Re: First DSLR...
August 11, 2015, 06:19:46 am

A quick look on Harrison's used has thrown up a GF3 (admittedly not the best) body for £70!!!

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Used/Used-Cameras.htm
If you're Sheffield based Fatneck, definitely pay Harrison's a visit, by far the best shop around IMO and given that my old man still shops there (he's a retired photography lecturer from Sheffield poly days) I guess that means it's not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#7 Re: First DSLR...
August 11, 2015, 08:15:06 am
Thanks all...

I'm going to digest the info and have a look around and will probably pop back with more questions soon!  :great:

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: First DSLR...
August 11, 2015, 08:17:53 am
Thanks all...

I'm going to digest the info and have a look around and will probably pop back with more questions soon!  :great:

I can probably lend you one (a Nikon) for a month or so if you like Fatneck - mine never makes it out of the cupboard nowadays...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#9 Re: First DSLR...
August 11, 2015, 08:22:28 am
Hi Tom, a very generous offer! And one I will happily take you up on... Not sure when I'm out next (very busy at the mo) but will keep you posted... Cheers man!

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: First DSLR...
August 11, 2015, 09:25:34 am
I also have a micro 4/3 mirrorless that I haven't got around to selling (after upgrading to a new body) if you would like to try that as well? It is only a bottom of the range Olympus epm1 with kit lens however you will get a feel for just how compact mirrorless can be compared to a DSLR.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#11 Re: First DSLR...
August 11, 2015, 01:03:11 pm
Appreciated Ste! Give me a shout next time you're around...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#12 Re: First DSLR...
June 22, 2018, 03:12:27 pm
So I'm resurrecting this thread as I've outgrown the Olympus micro 3/4 and after getting the insurance through for my lost wedding ring I have a budget of £4-500. The above advice is great and I feel I have a better grasp on what I need and what I don't need. Also, the zoom is buggered on my current camera which has forced me to really think about compsure - this has definitely helped my photography.

I need a good zoom for bird helmery, not so bothered about video as I have no time to edit footage anyway. I'm used to carrying binoculars and camera in a seperate bag when climbing, walking and general family days out etc so not particulalry bothered about compactness.

One thing I would like to be able to do is blow up some of my better shots.

I like the look of this Canon EOS 100D

Opinions (and minions) welcomed...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: First DSLR...
June 22, 2018, 04:19:36 pm
for bird based zoomery you will probably need to spend as much again on a lens. Need at least a 300mm I reckon.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:28:23 pm by SA Chris »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#14 Re: First DSLR...
June 22, 2018, 04:53:56 pm
Hmm. Bird helmery is the reason I've been thinking of picking up an Olympus m4/3 rig. It's currently the cheapest and lightest way to get a serious telephoto. AF for flight shots will not be as good as a pro DSLR but won't be any worse than a 100D.

I'd look at a something like a second hand EM1 plus a Panasonic 100-300.

Any DSLR or 4/3 body made in the last five years will have a decent sensor for big blow-ups.

Second Thom Hogan's site for good unbiased reviews.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: First DSLR...
June 22, 2018, 05:00:36 pm
Do a swopsy

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#16 Re: First DSLR...
June 22, 2018, 05:12:21 pm
Panasonic 100-300.

:agree: I had one of these.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#17 Re: First DSLR...
June 29, 2018, 08:54:31 am
Any opinions on this lense?

http://amzn.eu/1h6g7EM

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#18 Re: First DSLR...
May 28, 2020, 09:09:52 am
Hello learned photography helms...

Progressing with my photography apprenticeship and very pleased with the photos I am currently taking, getting a handle on the manual controls on my camera and relying on auto less and less. I have some budget (£300-400) for a new lens and looking at something with a bit more length (fnarr fnarr) - maybe 500mm for better photos of birds mainly.

Any advice or links to specific lenses appreciated - happy to go refurbed or second hand...

Also, I've come across the concept of lens extenders - any thoughts?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#19 Re: First DSLR...
May 28, 2020, 09:42:54 am
What Camera did you go for in the end? And what weight are you prepared to carry. I've got a 12 - 400 crop sensor which i am using with my full frame sensor lens, and find it just about adequate for LBJs, so reckon you need about 500, but could probably cope with  a bit of copping if you got something shorter. A prime will be lighter than a zoom too.

I'd avoid a teleconverter unless i had the shorter lens already. Lose at least a stop or two, and some quality.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#20 Re: First DSLR...
May 28, 2020, 09:57:10 am
Cheers Chris, ended up with a Canon EOS 100D and standard kit lenses EFS 18-55mm and EFS 55-250mm.

Have actually been really impressed with the photos I've been able to take but am a total luddite and don't think I've got geeky enough about the whole thing :lol: Maybe I should do some reading around the subject rather than just take lots of photos! Blog recommendations etc appreciated...

Don't think there are any extenders that will work with the lenses I've currently got in any case...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#21 Re: First DSLR...
May 28, 2020, 11:44:42 am
That should be 120-400 in my last post btw. It's quite a heavy lens, but well made (I drove over my camera bag once, and dragged mine across the tar in the process and it seems to be OK). The "Bigma" 50-500 is meant to be good, but they keep their value and are sought after. Maybe something like that?

Paul B

• forum hero
#22 Re: First DSLR...
May 28, 2020, 01:28:55 pm
Also, I've come across the concept of lens extenders - any thoughts?

As with anything in photography they come with a trade off; it's going to depend on what you're sticking on the end of the teleconverter (you do mean a 1.4 or 2x?). Some refuse to AF once you go beyond f/8 (from memory). I seem to remember looking at a cheaper brand (perhaps Cokin) where there were good reports of taping over the contact that allowed the lens to know the aperture with AF then 'working'.

I bought a 400mm f/5.6 prime specifically for taking some shots of the Verdon vultures. I couldn't afford to keep it long term so had insured it and sold it soon after the trip (I didn't lose much, perhaps £20). I nearly dropped it (and the rest of my camera equipment) into the gorge jugging with the zips on my bag closed at the top (always put them to one side instead).

What I learnt from this lens is that f/5.6 is fine in the S. of France but when I took it back to Sheffield and tried chasing a Kingfisher around the gloomy River Don I realised it was pretty slow and I really struggled without IS.

andy popp

• forum hero
#23 Re: First DSLR...
November 24, 2020, 02:05:47 pm
Very similar question - 13 year old has been asking for a "proper" camera for ages but I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to these things. We're hoping to leverage the grandparents into buying and they're in the US, so not sure what to say about budget. She is, to put it politely, not the most careful child so robustness would be quite important.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#24 Re: First DSLR...
November 24, 2020, 02:46:33 pm
I'd suggest something second hand as you get a lot more for your money. Micro 4/3 would be good for small hands, or a quality bridge camera like a Sony RX10. I'm not sure any of them are particularly robust.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal