UKBouldering.com

[Peak][Windy Knoll Cave][Twisting in the Wind][7A+] (Read 7583 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

Castleton - Windy Knoll Cave

Another Castleton micro venue, this is in the field NW of the short stretch of road between the top of Winnats Pass and the turn off for Blue John Cavern. The walk in in very short along a public footpath from a large parking layby.
The cave entrance is large and opens into a pretty hefty underground space. The vast majority of the rock is too high, damp and loose for bouldering, but on the far right is section which dries out fully in summer and is an ideal height for bouldering. The climbing is very steep on rough and well featured rock. A large stretch of the caves lip fell away  some year ago, which got rid of a gnarly thin band of rock which had put me off climbing here in the past and what’s left now seems safe enough. That said take care on the topout, or if venturing onto unclimbed rock. I dare say the owner, the National Trust, would rather not notice anyone climbing here as I think it’s officially closed since the rockfall, however the fence has fallen over in places and the signs are gone so it can’t be top of their worry list.

Twisting in the Wind 7A+
Sit start below a massive pair of nostrils. Climb the rib to a horizontal crack, follow this left to a jug, then exit direct up the vague prow bearing left to topout. The climbing is of the big holds big moves variety and is rather excellent I thought, quite tiring.
We also did two variation starts at roughly similar grades
Twist Again
A more tiring alternative start from sitting a few metres further right.
<ask Dave>
A direct start from big hollow flakes with a nice throw into the original. FA Dave Parry

Video courtesy of Cofe:

cofe

• forum hero
Fun problems. Potentially groundbreaking (if that herd of cows congregates above the roof).

dave

Quite a unique venue really, and despite the name its not windy. Not many places outside of Lancashire where you top out at floor level.

All these give some surprisingly fun steep climbing, quite long problems, worth an evening of anyone's time. Might be a good warmup venue for wads on their way to try The Darkroom.

Name for the direct start, hows about "Vandal In The Wind"?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Nice Dave. That's a thumbs up and a thumbs down for things I've developed all in the same post.  ;D

Looks good bonjoy. Good to have more things to do in the Castleton area.

andy_e

• forum hero
Nice Dave. That's a thumbs up and a thumbs down for things I've all in the same post

Yin and yang innit.

Where's the video of Dave's first ascent? I don't know if I believe it or not...

Looks like a good place, I love a good lowball jughaul thugathon!

dave

Sadly I don't even have an ex girlfriend, friend posting from my IP address, or even Juan my trusty spanish spotter to vouch for me, so I accept I will have my ascent stuck from the record. Anyway enjoy your witchhunt you bunch of keyboard jockeys, I'm off climbing.

Tommy

• junky
Nice one Bonjoy. It's cool problem. I delved a bit deeper in the cave, but came out running....! :-)

I went there with Pete and spent the entire time getting told off by tourists though, which irked after a while.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Both times I've been have been fairly late in the day and i haven't seen any tourists, just cows.

Tommy

• junky
And we both know I'd rather be moaned at by a cow than a tourist.

dave

Gets a bit awkward when you try to milk a tourist though.

tomtom

• forum hero
Gets a bit awkward when you try to milk a tourist though.

Its one way to express yourself (or someone else..)

andy_e

• forum hero
That joke was an udder disgrace TomTom.

Yet another thread ruined by the UKB PunTers©

tomtom

• forum hero
It was a bit sour..

dave

We can only hope this thread is read by people properly instead of just semi skimmed.

andy_e

• forum hero
Thankfully the short comments means it's easy to run it past your eyes.

dave

Ones of the great things about this venue is there's not too many small footholds, so should be OK for people who lack toes.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
I've been ruminating about a visit but don't really want to follow the herd.

tomtom

• forum hero
I'll give you a pat on the back for that Dave though I herd you cud have done it earlier.

Edit: arse, herd has already been done. I'll go and hide.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Feeling a bit too bullish?

Tommy

• junky
Any chance we could heifer break from all this punning? It's detracting from the lime, which is the real crime.

dave

Whey to go guys, whey to go.

haydn jones

• forum hero
i was grazing over this and have come to the conclusion that you guys are really milkin' this thread. This game you all play, the steaks are just to high and i'm out!

andy_e

• forum hero
Quite the rumination there. Hoof you been talking to to remind you about this thread?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal