UKBouldering.com

sheigra-Land of Giants (Read 4628 times)

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
sheigra-Land of Giants
August 10, 2015, 11:46:22 am
We were up here a couple of days ago and there appears to have been a significant landslip/rockfall. A few of the boulders south of Zeus appear to have had starts/landings altered.I'm not particularly familiar with the area but looking at on-line vids and topos some of them don't make sense anymore.There is also a fair bit of shrapnel lying around the platforms.
Just a heads up really,will try and post some (poor quality)pics as soon as my technical support (Mrs.S) gets in from work.

JamieG

• forum hero
#2 Re: sheigra-Land of Giants
August 11, 2015, 05:39:05 pm
I've let my brother know about this thread as he is the one that wrote the little guidebook. Unfortunately I suspect rock falls like this are going to be common along that section of sheigra. Cheers for heads up anyways. Hope you had a good time there. Only been once and had a really good couple days there.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: sheigra-Land of Giants
August 12, 2015, 10:25:05 am
Cheers, Jamie.I emailed him a few days back.Suddenly occurs to me that we were poking round The Boulderfield a wee while ago and failed to find the classic (and sort -of -obvious -looking) Isis. We put it down to our usual incompetence but now I'm thinking......

andy_e

• forum hero
#4 Re: sheigra-Land of Giants
August 12, 2015, 11:53:40 am
Oh no! Isis looked amazing!

JamieG

• forum hero
#5 Re: sheigra-Land of Giants
August 12, 2015, 11:59:50 am
That would be a shame. Isis climbed very nicely. I also suspect the lower sections get battered by winter storms, which could easily move boulders around.

I get the impression from my brother that he thinks the bouldering at the promontory is overall the best. And probably also the least likely to change between visits. Nice hard rock (gneiss) and away from the rockfall areas. I need to get back up there, for the scenery and wildness as much as anything else. :-)

gardinrm

• menacing presence
#6 Re: sheigra-Land of Giants
August 14, 2015, 03:43:21 pm
I'll check Isis when i am back, it's actually quite tricky to find. In actual fact though, last time I was there the starting hold had broken off, so i think that it may be a short lived "classic". The rock there is a little friable.

The promontory is perfect quality and I can't imagine will change. Another area that i don't see changing is the land of giant but a bit further south. There isn't really anything to fall onto these and the rock quality is very good. The area where the land slip was is directly below a scree of rocks, so it doesn't surprise me really.

Just want to iterate again therefore, please take care in the decent to Land of Giants. It's pretty ropey anyway and this shows that the rock can move.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: sheigra-Land of Giants
August 17, 2015, 12:08:37 pm
Agree about the Promontory,surely some of the best bouldering in the North-West.Great problems and fantastic location. Also a good call in high summer when other locations are midge/tick infested and ground vegetation is running riot!
Re the descent to LoG,pretty spooky we thought. We found a vague wee sheep track but it disappeared about 2/3rds of the way down,possibly taken out by landslip.Thought the whole area had an air of gothic menace but perhaps I suffer from an over active imagination topped by a thick crust of cowardice.

gardinrm

• menacing presence
#8 Re: sheigra-Land of Giants
September 09, 2018, 08:28:51 pm
Having just looked properly at your flicker stream Sherlock (Nigel), I realised that you've been back to the promontory a few times and that you've climbed on the Southern-most side. I didn't realise you'd been there and so when I found it last time, I thought it had never been climbed on. My apologies for naming the wall and some of the problems in my video, I will rename them appropriately. Did you manage any others? Check out my video (its the first bit) and see if I've stolen any others? :)

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: sheigra-Land of Giants
September 10, 2018, 12:08:09 pm
Ah, Robbie no problem!
Quite happy for you to keep the names you posted on the video, though I suspect we'll keep using 'our' names out of habit. We also did some other stuff on the flat wall round to the right of Fish Tail/fish Head all finishing at the obvious break and traversing off rightwards.Didn't give these names so feel free!

Also did some quality stuff at Droman Pier (Droman Bass etc) but need to go back and sort the area out properly, pretty tidal though.
Thought I'd replied already but post seems to have played truant....
Regards,N

gardinrm

• menacing presence
#10 Re: sheigra-Land of Giants
September 16, 2018, 03:10:13 pm

Rob Thomas has done a bunch of stuff at Droman and put up some photo topos on ukc.
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=23229

Nice spread of problems and some quality climbing. He's also uploaded a few videos of these:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal