UKBouldering.com

North Wales (Read 7291 times)

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
North Wales
July 26, 2015, 11:35:44 am
Whats the best guide/topos for north wales? Only been there for a few days with a lad who knew the area so didn't need one. Had a look online and can't seem to find one? Am I just being stupid?
If theres no up to date guide, whats the best place to get hold of some topos?

Cheers

petejh

• forum hero
#1 Re: North Wales
July 26, 2015, 12:04:17 pm
This one:

(I assume you meant bouldering (?), in which case there isn't one in-print, which is crazy.  :spank:)

Links to new problems and some topos here: http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: North Wales
July 26, 2015, 12:07:06 pm
They are like gold dust. You can't have mine. :sorry:

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#3 Re: North Wales
July 26, 2015, 12:16:59 pm
Yeah sorry, meant bouldering. So looks like will just have to wing it? Had a feeling there wasnt one in print, understandably it would be a serious amount of work, but surely there is demand?
A few of the links on that website aren't working

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: North Wales
July 26, 2015, 12:21:26 pm
I'm sure someone more informed will be along shortly but I believe there is a new guide in the making. There are some topos available on northwalesbouldering.com

ducko

• junky
#5 Re: North Wales
July 26, 2015, 12:46:08 pm
When is your visit? One of the locals may borrow you one whilst you're down? There are also many videos online and if you can specify which problems you'd like to get on directions can be given as most are easy enough to find

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#6 Re: North Wales
July 26, 2015, 01:01:15 pm
In about a week or 2 when the weather a bit more consistent. It's mainly for a hand finding the problems (roof of a baby buddah, lizard king) and telling the probs apart at the GoP (i think its called that). was hoping to have a good look about as well at a few of the lesser known places and didnt want to end up barking up the wrong tree so to speak

a dense loner

• forum hero
#7 Re: North Wales
July 26, 2015, 02:01:44 pm
you can't find any lesser known places than them 3 probs!

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#8 Re: North Wales
July 26, 2015, 02:09:35 pm
What about Will on Mallory Boulder. is that a pain in the ass too find?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#9 Re: North Wales
July 26, 2015, 04:10:23 pm
What about Will on Mallory Boulder. is that a pain in the ass too find?

Will you can see from the road. Just my the Mallory pub as you turn in to the pass. On the hill above the massive boulder with the split.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#10 Re: North Wales
July 26, 2015, 04:14:04 pm
It's mainly for a hand finding the problems (roof of a baby buddah, lizard king)

Lizard king is just on from Beginners mind and not very hard to find. Landing isn't great so take a few spotters.

Baby Buddha is tricky to describe. As you are heading out of Betws towards Llanberis, the road turns into a duel carriage way. Its pretty much the last turning on the left, and is very easy to miss first time round. You then park at the bottom and walk all the way up the track till you get to a place that has two bays for parking opposite each other. Park here and head up the track about 50 metres, and you will see a slight path on the right going through the trees. BB is just in front of you there and impossible to miss.

A local might be able to describe the turn on the dual carriage way better than me.

petejh

• forum hero
#11 Re: North Wales
July 26, 2015, 05:55:00 pm
All those are easily enough found using the info in the links you'll find by googling. Roof - nwbouldering news item (obvious line), Lizard - ukc logbook (obvious line), Gop - 'doylo99' and chris davies's youtube/vimeo channels plus map on ukc. Mallory boulder approach is probably the vaguest one.

It's all there but it'd be nice if it was all in one place!

Doylo

• forum hero
#12 Re: North Wales
July 26, 2015, 05:58:55 pm
Mallorys piss, you can see it from the road.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#13 Re: North Wales
July 31, 2015, 05:06:19 pm
I'm just about to hand the Gogarth South guide to the printers - once that has gone I will be, once more, pushing the NWB 2nd edition guidebook to the finishing line.

In the mean time you could check out the 10 free miniguides to areas around Bethesda and Blaenau that I have done:

http://hongian.cymru/boldro/?lang=en

Or any of the mini guides that Owen Hayward has made, and that feature regularly in NWB news items. For example:

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=787

metal arms

• menacing presence
#14 Re: North Wales
July 31, 2015, 05:36:06 pm
I'm just about to hand the Gogarth South guide to the printers

Finally a reason to start climbing again!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#15 Re: North Wales
July 31, 2015, 11:06:51 pm
I'm just about to hand the Gogarth South guide to the printers
Well staple my balls to the ceiling and swing me like pendulum, that is exciting news. I was just chatting to Coel this very afternoon - having borrowed his GGN prior to an imminent purchase - about how long overdue GGS was and how I would be really keen to see the varied (and excitingly chossy) stuff that it's sure to contain. Nice one.

crazy climbing pete

• regular
    • ChedelaBloc
#16 Re: North Wales
September 01, 2015, 03:39:05 pm
If you're up again, you can always give me a shout in stores at plas y brenin for some local info. You can look at my copy of the 2004 guide but you'll have to shoot me if you want to take it out of the room...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal