UKBouldering.com

Film proof discussion split from significant repeats (Read 41945 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
From a different thread:

And he understands that all you need is a phone to film it

I'm not saying that at the top level there is no need to provide proof, especially if your track record is under scrutiny.

However, the above is not correct. You either need:
a) a camera with a long battery life and a large, empty SD card; preferably (perhaps necessesarily) with a tripod;
or b) a friend who isn't required for spotting and a phone.

When you're trying something hard there is no telling if/when you're going to get up it. So you need to do option a and leave the camera running. This sort of setup is actually quite expensive. Perhaps not to the media obsessed film maker who loves spending their money on fancy kit, but almost certainly (perhaps prohibitively so) to the budding climber who is more interested in climbing rocks than making movies.

If you just have a phone you cannot take this approach as there is a significant chance that it will run out of memory/battery before you get the problem. Even if you have a friend with you who is acting as cameraman, you are likely to miss it. We are climbers, not footballers. The other people at the crag are not our entourage, they want to climb too. You can't expect to have somebody standing ready to film you at all times.

This is why I have more footage of me failing to repeat stuff for the camera than I have of me actually getting up stuff. Obviously nobody cares as I have a track record for not telling porkies about what I've done, and the climbs are generally on esoteric bits of rock at a grade that nobody gets all excited about. The same principles apply though.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
From a different thread:

And he understands that all you need is a phone to film it

However, the above is not correct. You either need:
a) a camera with a long battery life and a large, empty SD card; preferably (perhaps necessesarily) with a tripod;

Thats ok then it should have at least been picked up on one of Keiths permanent camera stations from when he did Gourmandsie.

tomtom

• forum hero
Can't agree with you Will. I always use a phone to film. I press start before I'm having a go - then press stop afterwards. If it's crap/no good I delete it. Never had any battery/memory issues.

If anything it's good for my 'redpoints' as it forces me to rest for longer...

Edit: plus if it was one of my projects/hardest thing s I've done is want a film for my own satisfaction/interest..

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I've done it with a cheapy camera and a £2 mini tripod. With a 4GB card.
I just deleted every time I took a break.
I have an old (2011) Olympus Mu and a spare battery. Always managed a full day.

Caveat:

Have never achieved anything worth filming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
What tomtOMM said, filming stuff is a piece of piss. Without spotter / tripod / fancy kit. The only tricky bit is in a boggy / muddy area and walking back and forth to camera.

petejh

• forum hero
What Fiend said about what TomtOMM said. Filming's piss with a phone - play, stop, delete, repeat. Mini tripods are a tenner - invoice it to the sponsor..

cowboyhat

• forum hero
But it still isn't mandatory.

And yet this subject lingers. I don't know Ellis Butler Barker, how many watts/KG is he pushing?

andy_e

• forum hero

36chambers

• forum hero
If I were a sponsored climber, doing what may possibly be my hardest/most significant climb to date, I'd want at least 3 different camera angles of the ascent, along with drone footage, footage of the drive to the crag and walk in, perhaps footage of me caressing the holds, cleaning my shoes, drinking coffee, falling a few times. Ideally whilst topping out once. Anything less and there's no point bothering really.

Doylo

• forum hero
And your Grandkids can look at your YouTube channel when you're dead and wonder what the fuck you were doing all your life.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Look, unless something has changed (since Brian?), as far as I know the sponsorship amounts to some free t-shirts and shoes and not much more. His Spanish trips were mainly self funded.
I don't expect he's in a position to invoice sponsors, even if they contributed to his trip.

It's not quite the same as a sponsor funded, organised, camera crew equipped exped; with 4* hotels and Limos/Helo transfer to the crag.

I think he will probably remember to take a camera next time.

I hope.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
wonder what the fuck you were doing all your life.

Walking back and forth between a camera to hit record, stop, and delete.

It sounds like for some the act of filming oneself climbing is as much a thing to enjoy as the actual climbing itself. That's fine, but please don't forget that not everybody will share this sentiment. To me it's an added chore that interferes with and inhibits the process of climbing. Hence why I normally try and repeat for the camera. I'd rather get up something and not have it filmed than have lots of film of a fruitless endeavour.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
If I were a sponsored climber, doing what may possibly be my hardest/most significant climb to date, I'd want at least 3 different camera angles of the ascent, along with drone footage, footage of the drive to the crag and walk in, perhaps footage of me caressing the holds, cleaning my shoes, drinking coffee, falling a few times. Ideally whilst topping out once. Anything less and there's no point bothering really. 
FFS, if there's no footage of you actually brewing the coffee, you might as well be filed under Si O'Connor....I mean who knows what stimulants could be in it.

I think the issue in the EBB case is not "young relatively new climber doing something significant e.g. 8B", but "y r n c doing something very significant indeed i.e. first ascent of fatman after holds have broken rendering it desperate", if I understand right?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
And your Grandkids can look at your YouTube channel when you're dead and wonder what the fuck you were doing all your life.

I dread to think what future micro Doyles will gleam from their doylo99 experience.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber

It sounds like for some the act of filming oneself climbing is as much a thing to enjoy as the actual climbing itself. That's fine, but please don't forget that not everybody will share this sentiment. To me it's an added chore that interferes with and inhibits the process of climbing. Hence why I normally try and repeat for the camera. I'd rather get up something and not have it filmed than have lots of film of a fruitless endeavour.

Indeed it can be.  I enjoy watching climbing videos, even of myself.  It brings me back to things I'd often otherwise forget.

However, I grant that there's a case to be made for filming being a Major P.I.T.A. 

Cost shouldn't be an issue though. As mentioned by a few, phones are readily available to use or cheap cameras.  I upgraded this year to a new gopro(total outlay of $500 for really nice setup), but as I was shopping, I found 1st or 2nd edition second hand gopros available for under $100, an extra set of batteries is 20, and a 64gb(4+hrs of 1080hd footage) memory card for $40.  Add in a cheapo tripod and you're at under $200. So less than the cost of a single pad.  I don't think cost is a really an issue. 

I think the issue in the EBB case is not "young relatively new climber doing something significant e.g. 8B", but "y r n c doing something very significant indeed i.e. first ascent of fatman after holds have broken rendering it desperate", if I understand right?

This is it to me.  First of all, the logic doesn't work.  He lists it as 8B, which was the original grade.  Do you honestly expect me to believe that with all of the ridiculously strong local and traveling climbers coming through font that no one re-climbed Fatman in a decade if it's only 8B?  I'm sorry, but that makes me extremely skeptical. I want to believe, but I'd bet that the same thought is going through ALOT of people heads.  Video, pictures, sequences, open discussion would all go along way to clearing it up.  Maybe he thought he did Fatman, but he did something different, maybe he did do Fatman, maybe he's lying.  Who knows?  He does, and the 4? people there with him.  It'd be great if he did it, it's a problem with history and importance. 

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
Look, unless something has changed (since Brian?), as far as I know the sponsorship amounts to some free t-shirts and shoes and not much more. His Spanish trips were mainly self funded.
I don't expect he's in a position to invoice sponsors, even if they contributed to his trip.

A mate of mine asked him a couple years ago what his deal with Mammut was. IIRC it was £2500 worth of stuff from them, and I think he was allowed to take some of that as cash towards trips. So less than fuck all compared to football or tennis, but a lot to an at-the-time ~16 year old lad who'd just done his first 8b, and pretty good compared to the majority of young sponsored climbers I'm aware of. and enough to buy a freakin camera and tripod

Split thread?

a dense loner

• forum hero
Yep pls split the thread

tomtom

• forum hero

If I'm trying something hard (for me) then I'll only have 4-6 attempts on it with lengthy (5-10min) breaks in between. So tbh I'm normally looking for something to do whilst resting - filming can fill part of that.

Anyway - for those of you for which the trek to phone and back again is too arduous - have a look on eBay and you can get a key fob sized Bluetooth remote for iOS or android devices that starts/stops video remotely etc for less than a fiver.

Either way and whatever your crag behaviour preferences might be - there's little excuse for not filming stuff if it's significant etc.. As most here seem to say.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Squatch: Reading about the "chossy Peak lime / Parisella's eliminate" style bollox and rules that rodma was describing on the other thread, maybe the simplest explanation is EBB climbed something about 8B somewhere in that roof and assumed it was Fatman as he's used to the clear outstanding lines that Devonian limestone bouldering is world-renowned for, and didn't know about the Fatman issues / variants etc...

petejh

• forum hero
But it still isn't mandatory. (to film)

Nor is it mandatory to seek external recognition or reward by climbing rocks. Nobody who really matters gives a shit what you climb.

The two go hand-in-hand - choosing to seek recognition/external reward for high achievement can't (or certainly shouldn't) fail to bring with it the burden of providing evidence of your claimed talent.

How much do you need that stroke..

tomtom

• forum hero
I seem to remember Dan Varian giving a very good post about filming/not filming things and how there was no real excuse not to...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
But it still isn't mandatory.

And yet this subject lingers. I don't know Ellis Butler Barker, how many watts/KG is he pushing?
More importantly what time can he run a mile in?

a dense loner

• forum hero
Whoever came up with the name Ellis Butler Bullshit deserves a wad

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
This has been discussed better and more thoroughly on UKB before. Since then nothing has changed except kit has got cheaper/easier and apparent bullshitters have got rarer (unsurprisingly).
It’s as simple as this, it isn’t a rule it’s a choice – you can say you’ve climbed anything under the sun. You’re not obliged to film anything and neither is anyone obliged to believe anything you say. If it looks dodgy they won’t and you’ll eventually end up the subject of a thread such as this if your claims are significant, or merely the subject of crag gossip if they aren’t. Do you want to be believed or do you want people to argue about whether or not you are a liar? The choice is yours.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Don't need to wait for Grandkids, my kids do it already. "Daddy what you watching?" "Daddy why did you fall off".

I record all my ascents for the occasion when I fall off and hurt myself so badly it ends up on YBF. Jut editing recent clip of that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal