UKBouldering.com

UK men who have bouldered >=8B recently... (Read 196859 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
Ding Dong and Desroy haven't in the last 5 years AFAIK.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Cheers, modified...

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
Malcolm Smith (has he done anything in the time frame?)

Thought we'd decided Firefight 8B was 2010, therefore in?

It was in April 2010 - He did Grande Tour (hard 8B) about half an hour before Firefight. Pretty productive afternoon at the Rock

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Beast!

tim palmer

• forum abuser
is the room project the thing in Squamish?
If so was that not done closer to ten years ago?

Nemo

• addict
yeah, The Room Project = The Singularity.

Done 2007 just after Tim moved to Squamish.

Doylo

• forum hero
And still unrepeated...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
If only there were some software available that allowed a web-page editable by anyone to be created and updated as required for these lists to save reposting a growing list repeatedly.

I've set up the structure and started filling in from the different threads (got work to do so don't have time to do it all now)

UK Cream of the Crop

Anyone bothered with copying the rest over and/or updating might find the information on spanning rows in Wikimedia mark-up useful, because without using rowspan for the cells in the grade column its tricky to start a new line within a tables cell for multiple entries within a grade.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Cheekbones is monkey boy

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
Are you nickname dropping now dense?

a dense loner

• forum hero
I can't catch a break, you guys are all over it  ;D

T_B

• forum hero
Ben West - Mooiste Meisie 8B

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Thanks Slackers! Have edited to include cheekbones and Ben West but for some reason I've ballsed up the table! Can't make it work - code punter...

monkey boy

• forum hero
I think 8 Ball is considered more 8A+ than 8B now but I haven't done it.

James Noble needs to be in the DM club although he thought it was 8B.

Mooiste Meisie is definitely not 8B/+ more like 8A+/B if your tall and all the ascentionists you have down are tall. Keep them in the 8B list but not the slash list.

Polish Dave needs to be on the list too. Not sure what he has done but definitely some 8B's.

Tom Newberry has done Serenity which is 8B.

On the women's list Sarah SS is considered 8A I think and everyone takes 8A for Chablanke. It got a silly slash grade in the guide but not sure why. It's a tough 8A but one of the few problems that is easier for the short.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:07:43 am by monkey boy »

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
yeah, The Room Project = The Singularity.

Done 2007 just after Tim moved to Squamish.

Yorkshire dark horse moves to Canada and inflicts more dark horseyness on the Canadians - always loved this story. But is there any footage? (sorry)

a dense loner

• forum hero
Not to my knowledge, however everyone I know or know of that's climbed with or seen Tim climb has all said the same thing. Same with the other dark horse Matt. Just a pair of monsters prowling around doing most things they set their minds to, normally very easily and with excellent style.
These are not to be confused with wannabes.
I've seen Matt climb a few times, one of the most impressive people I've seen. Great to watch. Never seen Tim climb.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

Polish Dave needs to be on the list too. Not sure what he has done but definitely some 8B's.

Serendipity, 8B+ and several 8Bs at home and abroad.

Ryan did Cypher in 2011, nevermind 8 Ball. http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60695

monkey boy

• forum hero

Ryan did Cypher in 2011, nevermind 8 Ball. http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60695

Oh yeah I forgot about Cypher. I was thinking Spectre but that was ages ago.

a dense loner

• forum hero
I'd say Farrar as well, the bed of procrustes is 8B. Never mind it's only had one repeat from carlisle slapper and got downgraded when they used to downgrade everything

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Not to my knowledge, however everyone I know or know of that's climbed with or seen Tim climb has all said the same thing. Same with the other dark horse Matt. Just a pair of monsters prowling around doing most things they set their minds to, normally very easily and with excellent style.
These are not to be confused with wannabes.
I've seen Matt climb a few times, one of the most impressive people I've seen. Great to watch. Never seen Tim climb.

I was only being flippant, don't think anyone doubts the ascent. I'd love to know a liat of those that have tried it and failed. Lived in Leeds for a while and heard nothing but good things about both of them. Generally talked about in hushed tones with raised eyebrows! I guess their lack of publicity seeking says a lot.

a dense loner

• forum hero
I didn't think you were being serious shurt, I wrote that since ukb gets a lot of traffic and I doubt most of the younger peeps coming through would have heard of either of them really. This is the downside of asking for video or other proof of people that are widely doubted etc, to some people it then becomes a blanket statement that everyone needs it. Like our friend has shown talking about people doubting V3's. Someone explain that grade to jasper when he gets back off his hols. More breaks than kit Kat that guy!
Anyway roll on another significant repeat!

Doylo

• forum hero

Oh yeah I forgot about Cypher. I was thinking Spectre but that was ages ago.
he's done The Ace too.

Nemo

• addict
"Yorkshire dark horse moves to Canada and inflicts more dark horseyness on the Canadians - always loved this story. But is there any footage? (sorry)"

Not very dark horse really.  He's just an older generation, so the new kids on the block never saw him climb.

He very rarely climbed alone.  Has footage of quite a lot of hard problems.  I've personally witnessed him climbing vast amounts of extremely hard stuff in the UK.  A lot of the hard stuff he's done in Font or Switzerland was done with the likes of Randy Puro and various other well known people.  A lot of the hard stuff he's done in the US has been in front of hoards of americans (as tends to be the way in places like Bishop).

The Singularity wasn't climbed alone - it was in front of one of the locals.  He wasn't even remotely a dark horse in Canada - he was pretty much running a climbing clothing company, so got to know most of the locals pretty quickly.

No video, but plenty of pictures.  e.g:

http://house-under-a-rock.tumblr.com/post/65102109201/tim-clifford-fa-on-the-unrepeated-singularity-v14

The reason it's unrepeated is because it's frickin hard.  And almost certainly harder than the vast majority of 8C's out there.  As I understand it, the likes of Paul Robinson have sunk quite a bit of time into it without success.

Basically he's a wad.  And probably the most honest rock climber I've ever climbed with.  To the extent that the tinyest dab on a spotter, where anyone else would just take it - Tim would be back around doing it again... 

In fact he ended up doing lots of problems twice - he had a nasty habit of losing concentration and dropping the very last move on lots of really hard problems - I pretty much guarantee that noone else has fallen off 8 ball at the point he did.  He slipped off on the 2a move with both hands matched on the ledge at the end!!!  5 minutes having a quick word with himself and then did the whole problem again, this time without the punter fall at the end.

The more amusing Clifford story isn't The Singularity anyway.  It's Dipende in Switzerland.  Tim was told by locals it was a project - did it and gave it 8A+.  Turned out Fred Nicole had done it a while earlier and completely unknown to Tim given it 8C!!!  Not sure how that went down...

Anyways, I'm sure The Singularity will get a repeat some time in the not too distant future - it sounds like it's hard, but not silly hard.  And there's a sit to it and a project to the left which both sound amazing, so plenty for uber wads to go visiting for.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Never seen that photo before. Nice one!

Does Tim have any interest in the sitter?

Nemo

• addict
He did have - think he spied and tried loads of pretty amazing looking projects when he first got out there...  He's now getting on a bit though with two kids so dunno...  Think cross country skiing is now the sport of choice, living that close to Whistler etc.... 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal