UKBouldering.com

UK men who have recently climbed 8c or harder (Read 135603 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
Varian - Malcolm x

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Doesn't seem to be any mention of Matt Pickles who's done True North

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I was racking my brains to think of any Scots outside those mentioned, but must names I can see are missing the crucial + in the grade.

Only one I can find is "Stewart B"

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=47412

But he thinks it's not 8b+?

andy_e

• forum hero
What about Tim Rankin?

turnipturned

• forum abuser

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
John Cooke?

SA Chris

• forum hero
What about Tim Rankin?

He's one of those confirmed 8b, but not confirmed 8b+, although I think he has. Need to have a look at FAs in the Sport Guide, most up to date info!

Lund

• obsessive maniac
Then out them.

I'm not sure I should.  I mean, there are a few reasons why not - but given that lots of people on here know our Russell Howard lookalike, and I hear the duke spent pretty much all last year falling off the top of the extension on redpoint, then it's hardly unknown knowledge.  So I'll leave it to others.

It does illustrate what I think is the pointless nature of these lists though.  Kind of the opposite of needing video evidence for every name on the list - there will be plenty of people that do stuff and don't spray enough about it to get on the list?  Or does that not happen?

Kingy

• forum hero

Kingy

• forum hero
Char climbed mecca in 2010

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk

It does illustrate what I think is the pointless nature of these lists though.  Kind of the opposite of needing video evidence for every name on the list - there will be plenty of people that do stuff and don't spray enough about it to get on the list?  Or does that not happen?

That's exactly the point of these lists. It's surprisingly hard for dark horses to hide when you crowd source the knowledge of who's climbed what. So we get to find out if there are plenty of people who don't spray. If everyone keeps schtum, we learn nothing.

Teaboy

• forum hero

I'm not sure I should.  I mean, there are a few reasons why not - but given that lots of people on here know our Russell Howard lookalike, and I hear the duke spent pretty much all last year falling off the top of the extension on redpoint, then it's hardly unknown knowledge.  So I'll leave it to others.

I'm not sure what the issue is, I certainly didn't ask anyone's permission before 'outing' them. I'm sure there  are people who should be on the list but aren't but that's because they are unknown or forgotten and not a conscious effort to keep someone off, why would there be? If you know someone stick their name up, cant imagine anything worse than climbing the required grade and not making the list!

Lund

• obsessive maniac
Char was"outed" above by kingy anyway, but my point was actually really the second one - I wonder if the dark horses are indeed outed simply by crowd sourcing.  Maybe at the snore, where there are millions of people, it's impossible to hide.  Although gaskins managed it didn't he?  :worms:

Anyway, point discussed to depth, move on, nothing to see here.

T_B

• forum hero
Surely Char was outed when he made a half-hour film about Mecca!?  :lol:

Teaboy

• forum hero
I hope we do get to whittle out all the dark horses but I guess there's no way of knowing. I'd be surprised if many northerners slip through the net but there seems to be a paucity of southern climbers. There are certainly plenty of strong dudes in the walls down there who may, inexplicably, chose to project routes in Kalymnos or Catalonia rather than the Tor and I expect we wouldn't necessarily know about these (does UKB have a London correspondent or at least a couple of stringers?). Talking of which..........
Yann Genoux (not sure of spelling)

T_B

• forum hero
Speaking of dark horses who shy away from the limelight, Tim Emmett did Captain America (F8c) at Chekamus Canyon last year.

maybe_si

• player

Yep, Yann did Mecca a few months back

T_B

• forum hero
Yeah, I know a few French climbers who've climbed 8b+ as well

Teaboy

• forum hero
Is this not a European wide list? I wondered why UK climbers were so well represented.

Good point T_B, it leaves the London dark horse spot vacant once more

Lund

• obsessive maniac
Char and Jim Pope live in London.  Buster Martin too?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Another Brit abroad is Ali Kennedy - Kalea Borroka 8b+

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Good point T_B, it leaves the London dark horse spot vacant once more

Liam Halsey ??

SA Chris

• forum hero
I browsed the Scottish Sport Climbs book last night, and Dave Redpath has the FA of an 8b+ from 2012. Can't remember where, though, Dumbuck or Dumby or something. Maybe Adam L knows. Will look again tonight.

Doylo

• forum hero
Dave Redpath did Devestation Generation in 2010. Think it gets 8c.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Thanks Doylo. I think he's done some other stuff about that grade too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal