UKBouldering.com

UK men who have recently climbed 8c or harder (Read 137232 times)

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
It was an open project for a long time, hence being known as "Fred's project" in at least one guidebook. Ellis B-B claimed the FA in 2015, and it was also climbed by Mat Wright last year.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/cheddar_gorge_north-2280/fallingwater-360357

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
What was the deal with Ellis BB? Is the consensus that he did or didn't do the stuff he was claiming and why was there any doubt in the first place?

Alex-the-Alex

• menacing presence
It was an open project for a long time, hence being known as "Fred's project" in at least one guidebook. Ellis B-B claimed the FA in 2015, and it was also climbed by Mat Wright last year.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/cheddar_gorge_north-2280/fallingwater-360357

Ah yeah I'm being a div, sorry. I read it as the FA. Awesome either way. Solid insparation for some neglected projects.

Wood FT

• forum hero
What was the deal with Ellis BB? Is the consensus that he did or didn't do the stuff he was claiming and why was there any doubt in the first place?

Absolute weapon. Probably didn't understand some intricacies around trad routes in cheddar and what L1/L2 meant abroad. Undeniably strong boi though.

I might be misremembering but I'm not going to check the record and he doesn't give a shit anyway.

remus

• forum hero
Fred Mead joins the 8c club with an ascent of Fallingwater (AKA "Fred's Project") at Pride Evans Cave in Cheddar gorge.

Notable for the 15 year gap between bolting it and climbing it, and giving up climbing altogether in the meantime!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjLxh1Qjw2Y/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

That's mega! So cool that he's come back to climbing and gotten it done, strong return to form.

haydn jones

• forum hero
Alex hall joins the club with directa cornualles  :2thumbsup:

remus

• forum hero
Nice, always good to have another new entrant.

Looking at his UKC logbook it looks like he hadn't climbed harder than 8a+ before this year?! Three grades in a year is rapid.

Mullett24k

Josh Rundle has repeated the cheddar 8c Fallingwater.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpDe0WcJRYo/

Duncan campbell

• junky
Aryan wünderkind/walking muscle Luke Dawson repeated Escalatamasters 9a at perles in pretty quick fashion. Second 9a.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 11:08:13 am by Duncan campbell »

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
Aryan wünderkind

What is the context of this? Seems a little tasteless...

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Its a joke based on Luke's blond hair and blue eyes!

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac

Maybe I'm oversensitive from living in DE too long. Probably being a bit soft but as far as I'm aware the only context that word has been used aside from describing a specific bunch of indo-europeans is in the nazi context. Happy to hear some discourse from others as I'm usually well up for a joke but that makes me feel a bit wriggly. Could just be me.

PlainCroi$$ant

• regular
Yeah, bit of a weird one to throw in there.
Good effort Luke on the climb!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah

Maybe I'm oversensitive from living in DE too long. Probably being a bit soft but as far as I'm aware the only context that word has been used aside from describing a specific bunch of indo-europeans is in the nazi context. Happy to hear some discourse from others as I'm usually well up for a joke but that makes me feel a bit wriggly. Could just be me.

the Wikipedia page certainly makes that wriggly feeling seem well placed

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac

Good effort Luke on the climb!

It's a brilliant looking line, saw it in 2017. Definitely a great effort from Luke.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
I think we're all aware of the meaning of Aryan but I took it as a joke; no white supremacist overtones!

Anyway it is very quick work from Luke after the protracted siege on Rainshadow!

Duncan campbell

• junky
My bad… definitely didn’t mean to invoke any white supremacy overtones, was just a little joke on Luke’s blond hair blue eyes, to spice up a fairly to the point post. Didn’t really think it through.

Mods feel free to delete.

Sorry for any offence/ wriggly feeling caused, very much not my intention! And don’t want to take away from a friend’s achievement with silly (and not even funny) jokes.

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac
Hope I didn't come across as wanting to point the finger at anyone, definitely wasn't the intention! It's just tricky how little things like this can slip under the cultural radar but come from a very dark place.

A fun example from a personal perspective: I spent years over here joking about how I was a 'Brexit Refugee'. It wasn't until the Ukranians started arriving that I realised that maybe it wasn't funny, or at least not as funny anymore.

Anyway, apologies for the segway.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 03:19:17 pm by MischaHY »

Duncan campbell

• junky
No worries. Better to have these things pointed out rather than people feel uncomfortable  :)

andy moles

• forum abuser

I think you mean a segue, otherwise I'm lost :lol:

https://images.app.goo.gl/gciUTRd8QBtfShqB9

Is it becoming similarly wriggly now to describe what I just wrote as grammar-Naziism?  :unsure:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

Is it becoming similarly wriggly now to describe what I just wrote as grammar-Naziism?  :unsure:

Just Nazism.

andy moles

• forum abuser
Ignoramo  :slap:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

I've been on a segway and they are pretty cool, some black magic shit going on with gyroscopes and stuff. So I'd say it's fine to point out the difference.

andy popp

• forum hero

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac

Pahaha it'd be nice to blame autocorrect but I genuinely don't think I've ever seen it written before and assumed it was the same as the machine.

I personally always found grammar-nazi quite funny (disgust and contempt at others grammar inadequacy seems to fit the fascist image quite well) but the one time I said it in the office here people got quite weird about it. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal