UKBouldering.com

UK men who have recently climbed 8c or harder (Read 136909 times)

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
John Dunne

gme

• forum hero
The big man himself. Really surprised no one pointed it out earlier.

No confirmed grade for total eclipse but suggested 8c+ but he also did the 3rd ascent of cry freedom (if thats 8c) and i believe an 8c+ in el chorro, again no conformation of this.

Kingy

• forum hero
Haha, how could we miss Mr Dunne! Here is an article on Ondra's thoughts on Total Eclipse from his try in the wet in 2011 (he couldn't RP it due to the wetness but got through the crux I believe).

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2011/06/ondra_speaks_on_total_eclipse-62560

I have been to the sector at El Chorro (in the lower Gorge off the walkway) where Hari Kiri 8c+ is, John's magnum opus from 1994. He put a lot of effort into this I believe (it adds an 8a+ extension onto an existing 8c done by Bernabe Fernandez back in 1992) and it may have had a bolt on hold at one stage if memory serves? Anybody got the knowledge on this?
 Just googled the route and this website from 2006 confirms that it had not been repeated back then - some interesting info on the route as well. http://www.chockstone.org/forum/Forum.asp?Action=Display&ForumID=1&MessageID=37937&Replies=7

The sector is now sadly banned in effect due to the commercialization of the walkway, although that didn't stop us getting a cheeky RP in of Musas Inquietantas, the classic 8a wall climb just opposite Hari Kiri, on New Year's Day when the guards were away.  :dance1:

remus

• forum hero
Excellent knowledge as per usual Ted. I've bumped John up to 8c+/9a based on Ondra's comments https://github.com/bourbonspecial/UKStrongPeople/blob/master/men_routes.md

36chambers

• forum hero
Did Dave Birkett do any sport climbing?   

Kingy

• forum hero
I know he did 'Cover to Cover' 8b at Malham and that he was on Unjustified 8b+ years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if he had done it and not told anybody... :lol: I wouldn't bat an eyelid either if he had done an 8c either

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Interesting that Ondra thought Bat Route harder than Unjustified. Is there any consensus on what grade Unjustified is now? Several people seem to think its harder than Bat Route, in direct contrast to Ondra and indeed to Ted.

Idly discussed Total Eclipse on the catwalk the other day. Someone get on it! Ditto the original finish to Totally Free...

Kingy

• forum hero
Unjustified took a lot of flack for being a soft 8c about 7 or 8 years ago. I've heard it said at the crag that some people think it harder than Bat Route due to there being a relative lack of rest. I personally found Unjustified to be easier than Bat Route as the crux was a fair bit easier. (V6 as opposed to the V8 of Bat Route). Also there is more harder climbing higher up on Bat Route. However, maybe consensus is changing? It certainly hasn't had many repeats recently....and since going down to 8b+  :devil-smiley:

Unjustified is now climbed looping out right hence the downgrade as it was 8c going direct on the FA from Tony Mitchell (must have been a hard move this way). The controversy was that ppl still took 8c for it even though they were not going direct.

Every year people mention Total Eclipse and the original finish to TF. It would be great to try these things. However, getting a belayer on the upper tier is not trivial and there are plenty of other classics that seem to occupy people's time. I know Jim Pope and Will Bosi tried Total Eclipse a few years back and posted up this vid of the crux moves. I hope this works. If not its on Faceache...

https://www.facebook.com/william.bosi.3/videos/961728413926449/

gme

• forum hero
It would be great to see this repeated after all the controversy around the 1st ascent. It looks to be a classic and needs some attention. Sounds like John was spot on with his grade.

There is another route at kilnsey of steves that also needs a repeat, comes out left from true north. As well as the obvious old routes of mutation and violent new breed.

There are a few old projects about from the 90s as well that i dont think have been tried in years. Magnetic extension at malham, the wall to the left of nemesis on the cornice and one that Ben bolted in doveholes.

Oh and Brandenburg gate.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Unjustified took a lot of flack for being a soft 8c about 7 or 8 years ago. I've heard it said at the crag that some people think it harder than Bat Route due to there being a relative lack of rest. I personally found Unjustified to be easier than Bat Route as the crux was a fair bit easier. (V6 as opposed to the V8 of Bat Route). Also there is more harder climbing higher up on Bat Route. However, maybe consensus is changing? It certainly hasn't had many repeats recently....and since going down to 8b+  :devil-smiley:

Unjustified is now climbed looping out right hence the downgrade as it was 8c going direct on the FA from Tony Mitchell (must have been a hard move this way). The controversy was that ppl still took 8c for it even though they were not going direct.

Every year people mention Total Eclipse and the original finish to TF. It would be great to try these things. However, getting a belayer on the upper tier is not trivial and there are plenty of other classics that seem to occupy people's time. I know Jim Pope and Will Bosi tried Total Eclipse a few years back and posted up this vid of the crux moves. I hope this works. If not its on Faceache...

I think people seem to think its 8c whether you loop right or not! But I'm obviously only going on hearsay since I have never pulled on either! I remember an interview when Twyford did it (which sparked the downgrade from memory...) saying that she couldn't touch the boulder problem for ages and she normally flashes V6's and did V8's second go, or words to that effect. Is it possible that the Catwalk "8c's" of Cry Freedom, Bat Route and Unjustified are all just in the lower half of the grade?

If Jim Pope can get Total Eclipse done reach is obviously not the issue!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

I think people seem to think its 8c whether you loop right or not! But I'm obviously only going on hearsay since I have never pulled on either! I remember an interview when Twyford did it (which sparked the downgrade from memory...) saying that she couldn't touch the boulder problem for ages and she normally flashes V6's and did V8's second go, or words to that effect. Is it possible that the Catwalk "8c's" of Cry Freedom, Bat Route and Unjustified are all just in the lower half of the grade?

If Jim Pope gets Total Eclipse done down the line reach is obviously not the issue!

Kingy

• forum hero
The grade of Unjustified has been disputed for years - see this thread: https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,14812.msg273436.html#msg273436

The crux of Bat Route is certainly harder than the crux of Unjustified IMO, whatever V grade it is.

There is certainly a case for lumping all of the Malham 8b+/8c's together as either soft 8c or hard 8b+. Considering Cry Freedom, Unjustified and Bat Route there is not much between them. There are no easy answers.

Of the routes I have done at the cove, Something for Nothing is considerably harder and knocking on the door of 8c+.

JohnM

• junky
FWIW I had a play on Total Eclipse a couple of years ago. The crux is really morpho, but it is just a boulder problem in the sky as you go into it straight from a standing rest. I could physically span the move but not actually link it as I was too stretched. It felt like it would be about V9 to me if I could connect the hold. I am not sure how hard it is to the top from there as it was soaked and covered in gunk but I guess it would have to be quite hard/sustained to warrant a grade of 9a. 

Doylo

• forum hero
Adam Hocking. Something in Spain years ago.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
Re Unjustified, didn't Caff think it was 8b? When Nic originally did it with the glued on hold he gave it 8b+, and he finished up the pitch above (now called Overjustified).
It's not a hard 8b+ the way it's currently climbed and it's only getting easier as the belay gets lower and lower and the final tricky moves are missed.
It's telling that it's easily one of the best routes in Yorkshire and yet the queues have disappeared off it since it was downgraded.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
When Alan Cassidy did Unjustified in April 2011 he said this about it on his blog:

"Because a route is popular does not necessarily mean it is over graded. It is a real shame that people's hard work and achievements are stripped of them because they are not perceived of as being among the "strong". It is this very attitude of giving hard routes too much respect that holds the general level back in this country. I think that on the continent people are more inclined to try harder routes, whether they are a "somebody" or a "nobody" and this drags the whole community along."

Yet a few months later after doing True North:

"...I knew at the time I did it that it all went too easy to be 8c given my form at the time and True North, by no means a hard 8c confirms it; Unjustified is a good grade easier.  If Cry Freedom remains at 8b+ then even that grade may seem a bit much.

:lol:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

It's telling that it's easily one of the best routes in Yorkshire and yet the queues have disappeared off it since it was downgraded.

There is competition from Bat Route now which admittedly gets the higher grade but I suggest the greater attention is it is an obviously better and more compelling line at a similar level. Also it’s now not got the mystique and doubts of missing holds etc that it had before. My armchair assumption is that Bat Route is 8b+. Hope so anyway as if the Oak goes it would be my choice over Unoverjustified or whatever it’s called ;-)

Doylo

• forum hero
Why would you put all that effort in to do a nails 8b+ when you can get a 8c tick 10 routes to the left with the same effort ?  :shrug:
Grade mercenaries.

gme

• forum hero
Alan Cassidy’s comment re unjustified from 8a.whatever

My first UK '8c'. Now I don't want to hear about how soft Spain is ever again.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
The malham routes should just be given 8b+\c. I don't understand the problem with split grades where they work.

Did Dave Birkett do any sport climbing?

Dave Birkett has done 8b+ at least. There’s an 8b+ of his in Cathedral quarry called Caveman. I think that one of his trad routes is also 8b+, the one with the pinky mono move.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:49:52 pm by Ru »

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Rich Simpson. He may not have done this or that but someone must have seen him climb something above 8c at least once.

A Muerte?

Chris Doyle you were with him in Frankenjura when he did or didn’t do Action Direct. Did he do anything else?

Doylo

• forum hero
Not when i was there. Filmed him doing moves on a 8c+ and doing a 8b. Did Unplugged 9a after I left with Unclesomebody.

abarro81

• forum hero
There is another route at kilnsey of steves that also needs a repeat, comes out left from true north. As well as the obvious old routes of mutation and violent new breed.

The Kilnsey route is Magnetic North, and may not really exist anymore without manufacturing or being much harder... It has/had a bunch of flakey holds on - Gaz P apparently pulled some off; I had a quick look a few years back, ripped off some stuff and binned it. Suspect it would need some sika to make it exist, and permission for some manufacturing. Or to be cleaned hard and end up a 9a/+ or something...

gme

• forum hero
Surely the latter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal