UKBouldering.com

[Yorkshire][Sigsworth Crags][Various][Font 6A - Font 6C] (Read 2336 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Well, what can I say? I went up to Sigsworth amongst intermittent showers on Saturday and was so impressed I had to go back today as well, this time taking Footwork along for the 'out there' moorland experience. Considering its an hour and 20 minute drive from Bingley and then a 40 minute walk in, this has to be some sort of accolade?

Some of the rock at Sigsworth is a bit toss, but where the rock is good it is phenomenally unscrittly for moorland grit. Very compact indeed and a delight to climb on. I know Chris Sowden has climbed there before but not sure what he did. Still loads to go at that hasn't been done. With a bit of luck, a script will appear shortly. There is LOADS to go at with a few tricky things to be done. A few of the taller walls could do with a scrub with a stiff brush on ab.

Perilous Path - 6A. About Font 5/5+ to the lip, whereupon a tricky, perilous topout makes things much more interesting. If this was at Almscliff it would be as much a right of passage as the Matterhorn Arete is. Where else do you get a jug filled, steep wall like this?!

The Green Man - 6B. Steep arete from a low start. Good moves and all in the arms.

Owl 'Ave You For Breakfast - 6A. French start on the left to the obvious shelf and mantel through the pellets to the finish. Would be better if it was cleaned.

The Oyster Catcher - 6C. One of the stand out problems of the weekend. A big throw and a big catch on the obvious overhanging arete. Eliminating the v. large foot block will make this even better and be about 7A+/7B? Dare I say it would be one of the best dynos in Nidderdale?

The Wall of the Wild - 6C. The other stand out problem of the weekend. Fairly intense and with a high finish. Not a single move on it is given away lightly!

Redhorn - 6A+. Pleasant slim groove to a typically moorland top out.

Riding Shotgun - 6A. Tricky eliminate though without much quality.

A video will follow, of course.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:06:52 pm by Will Hunt »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
These look well good!

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
Ed, they're lovely!

The setting is certainly 'wild' when you walk in. The Oyster Catcher is slightly marred by the giant block as it's very hard not to use it but the catch is fantastic. A bit like how I imagine the Joker to be as you need to get the other hand on before the first slips off.

Wall Of The Wild feels high enough not to want to fall off and we forgot to brush the top which made it rather exciting on the first time up! Will did the top move by undercutting the pocket and going up again with his left, then cut loose trying to match the top :o

A great day had on the moors exploring. Will's been waiting for me to admit this for ages ;)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
YYFY.
Yes. The match to the top was a close run thing on Wild. Fortunately hit a good bit and held the flailing legs!

Unbelievable that the place has barely been explored and never documented before. There's some great lines still to be done...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal