UKBouldering.com

Alternative for Scarpa Boostics (Read 3876 times)

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
Alternative for Scarpa Boostics
June 19, 2015, 10:00:23 pm
I have recently been told that Scarpa have discontinued the Boostic, which has been my staple indoor and bouldering shoe for the last few years.

I like this shoe for the combination of high stiffness, and the shape of the toe area.
I have found that the Instinct VS isn't as comfortable (on trial at a wall), as it feels thinner and slightly longer (not sure this is accurate though, may just be my foggy memory). I am put off the Booster S, as it has been suggested that they are much softer than the boostic (I use some marginally baggy dragons for a softer shoe).

Has anyone got any suitable suggestions for alternatives to the Boostic, or shall I sack off finding something stiff and go for something softer and smaller?

Thanks

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Alternative for Scarpa Boostics
June 19, 2015, 10:26:44 pm
http://www.scarpa.net/en/mago.html

Slightly different last to Boostic, but down turned and you can stand on matchsticks.

I love these shoes.

AlistairB

• addict
#2 Re: Alternative for Scarpa Boostics
June 20, 2015, 12:11:18 am
First they came for the Instinct Laces...  :shrug:

Rapidly becoming the new 5:10, discontinue the shoes everyone loves for UK lime and replace them with some atrocious soft crap.

abarro81

• forum hero
#3 Re: Alternative for Scarpa Boostics
June 20, 2015, 12:40:29 am
Instinct lace isn't discontinued, just not imported anymore - should be able to get them from European stores. It is dumb to stop Beijing them in IMO but apparently not enough people buy lace-up scarpas to make it worth it

AlistairB

• addict
#4 Re: Alternative for Scarpa Boostics
June 20, 2015, 11:06:18 am
Instinct lace isn't discontinued, just not imported anymore - should be able to get them from European stores. It is dumb to stop Beijing them in IMO but apparently not enough people buy lace-up scarpas to make it worth it

Yeah, I know in theory that's the case but I've tried both America and Europe now and not found my size. They're surprisingly thin on the ground  >:(.

abarro81

• forum hero
#5 Re: Alternative for Scarpa Boostics
June 20, 2015, 11:11:36 am
Yeah, it is a pain in the ass.
OP - Booster S is way softer than Boostic. IMO it's better in most scenarios, but maybe not if you like stiffness. Mago is very stiff. I find the Boostic thinner/lower volume than the VS  :shrug:

rodma

• forum hero
#6 Re: Alternative for Scarpa Boostics
June 21, 2015, 04:26:59 pm
You can still but them from Germany etc over the Internet, for now at least. Just checked on fleabay and there are still a few about and a few bargains to be had if you are the correct size

SEDur

• stalker
  • Edam Tarquin
  • The future
#7 Re: Alternative for Scarpa Boostics
June 24, 2015, 01:25:08 pm
Cheers all!
I have fed the rodents, and bought a pair from 'EpicTV' for now.
Will give a set of Mago's a try if I find a demo at some point.

I might try the Booster S at some point to, to get more used to something softer.

luckyjez

• addict
#8 Re: Alternative for Scarpa Boostics
June 24, 2015, 03:25:39 pm
Rumours of a new Instinct lace for Spring 2016 - will be able to confirm in a couple of weeks time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal