UKBouldering.com

What are peoples attitudes to closed projects? (Read 16399 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Interesting question because I'm not sure of my answer. I'm not local to any climbing areas so unlikely to come across this in practice. Certainly with a route that someone has gone to the effort of equipping I find it easy to respect a closed status, for a certain amount of time (a year or two?)

But a boulder? I guess I don't know how much effort goes into cleaning a discovered boulder - is it a day's work, several days, a week? Is the effort put in/benefit to the climbing community proportionate to the 'harm' of imposing on other people not to follow their inclination to try it?

I think with boulders my inclination is not to respect a closed project, unless that person is a friend or showed me the boulder in the first place - i.e. I have a personal relationship with them that makes it 'dishonourable' to bag their project. Otherwise, if you're not good enough to do it quickly, get better quickly, or accept that someone who is a better climber than you will bag it first? It doesn't mean you don't get to do it, just that you don't get to name it. Doesn't seem that important to me.

Some agreement here.

I feel there are no rules here, just personal judgement/consequences.

I also don't think there is a fixed distinction between routes and boulders. There are too many variables. Some boulder problems can take days to prep, plus all the walking to find hidden gems!

That said, I don't think I'd ever top out on a route that I knew had been bolted but not completed, if it was just the one line. Simply no need. Conversely, bolting a route, if it's a last great problem, could be used as a cynical way to "get in first". Whose line is it anyway..?

I like the mix between the honour amongst local activists and friends, in which - hopefully - we're supporting each other to climb the best bits, and the potential threat of other competition raiding our best kept secrets. So for me, no rules, but definitely agreement/otherwise amongst people we know.

Thieving b**tards  ;D

tomtom

• forum hero
Don't tell Andy I did his route this morning... :p ;)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Don't tell Andy I did his route this morning... :p ;)

Don't worry, we'll leave that for you to do  :P

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
(I'm not based in UK, but have done a fair amount of development of bouldering areas/climbing areas.)

I do not respect closed boulder projects. They are ridiculous.

The idea that a boulder (or route) is 'closed' to others is ridiculous, I agree. Unless it's on private land of course, it's a lump of rock to which anyone has an equal right of access.

I find the term irritating tbh, it suggests a presumption of entitlement. Basically you are asking people to be nice to you... And I'm good with that to a point on a case by case basis. ...but there's no 'rule', just a bit of kindness regarding someone's aspiration.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 09:24:26 pm by mrjonathanr »

petejh

• forum hero
Ok, I think it's understood by all that nobody 'owns' the rock (unless you actually do own the rock!). But what experience do you have of equipping sport routes - any? How about really difficult to equip sport routes? Becasue there's a significant input of hard graft and personal expense involved with creating many sport routes. And it is a creative act that others benefit by. What incentive is there to flog your guts out equipping a new line, other than the little ego stroke and personal glow of achievement that comes with smashing the route in and 'I hereby name this section of cliff face xyz and god bless all who sail in her'.

Kingy

• forum hero
There is an 8b+ at Smith Rock called The Villain and rumour has it that in the early 90's the local who was trying it filled in the crux pockets with sika before Jibe Tribout arrived from France as he had such a reputation for ruthlessly pinching people's projects (Badman 8b+ and Scene of the Crime 8a being oblique references to his misdeeds). Once Jibe had safely departed, the pockets on what became the Villain were cleared of sika and the local was safely able to resume work on the project, which he later sent.

At Smith, the ethic is that there is so much cleaning and preparation involved of the rock beforehand that if the equipper/ preparer is actively trying a climb, it is generally left for them to finish. Similar to here I guess in that the effort of bolting generally reserves you a decent window to try your project alone.

Jibe's rep is not all bad as there is that touching tale in the BMC Peak Lime guide of him sportingly grabbing a quickdraw near the belay of what became Rumble in the Jungle at WCJ Cornice while a frantic Andy Pollitt wades across the river to save his project from being nabbed

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
You should have time equal to the time spent finding, cleaning, and prepping the route/boulder.  I'd guess that the folks saying no to giving the developer time to climb a boulder either don't do much developing, or only develop stuff at their "limit".  I've got a friend who spends countless hours exploring, finding, cleaning, prepping landings, etc.  I'll give him all the time in the world to work stuff.  It's both respect and self-interest.  If I start going about stealing his projects, he'll stop telling me about them and I'll miss out on way too much stuff.  He's also fair in that if it's too hard for him, he'll offer it up to me as well. 

I've got another friend who prefers to repeat/climb only really hard stuff.  He spends virtually zero time developing/cleaning, prepping, so if he had a project, i'd have no issues getting on it as he spends very little time at it. 

I think it's important to look at the person and their overall contribution.  I have little time for leaches, but will happily wait projects out for the hard-workers. 

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Now now Pjh, there's no need to get all aerated as nothing in my post contradicts your position or devalues your contribution or that of other equippers.

The question boils down to what is, or isn't, a reasonable way to behave and it's pretty obvious in my post tbh.

On a different tack, at le supermarche (so called so that its location would not be discernible if overheard chatting about it) the solution was to tell no one till the place was basically climbed out. That doesn't work so well in England and Wales, it's simply a question of respect.

petejh

• forum hero
 :shrug: I wasn't getting aerated? - I simply asked you an honest question about what, if any, experience of equipping new sport routes you have because it's very relevant to the debate about what the 'baggsy' ethics should be for new sport routes. New boulder probs I don't know about so I don't consider my opinion about them to have much merit.
It's one thing to believe projs shouldn't be hogged by one person (I know.. you're not saying that), but things look very different once you've experienced being on both sides of the situation by putting in significant effort/time/expense to equip new routes. As always it's a balance, like you say. 8 years - probably far too long. 1 - 2 years, probably fair enough.

If it's just the label 'closed' you don't like, hmm.. doesn't bother me so much - as said I think everyone realises nobody really 'owns' a climb.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
My bad, I misunderstood.

Oh I helped one afternoon  at le supermarche, that's about it. It was horrendous, bolting at arms reach in  a 90' roof then sitting on half placed bolts and tightening them up before going onto the next one. Did a few belay improvements at the gallery for the colonel, that was tricky in its own way too.

I have huge respect and appreciation for the people who put the routes up, after all we benefit massively from their endeavours...that's why the equipper names the route in France I guess.

I think most people would agree that the amount of consideration for the would-be first ascentionist should reflect their contribution, it's a basic courtesy. Which makes for a sliding scale where most routes would be a very different issue to boulders

I'd give someone their fair due, but the term 'closed' isn't the best really. Though that begs the question, obviously. :-\

abarro81

• forum hero
Is there a topo for Supermarche, or is it still on the downlow?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
I don't know, I never saw a topo, we climbed there very day so a topo wasn't relevant. Many route names painted at their base like Buoux. You should do The Moutchiki extension, big 8b prow into big lip of massive roof, about 8c+ stamina fest, brilliant line.

I did more belaying than climbing on it, to be fair  :)

Bruno is your man for info, Zips is in recent contact with him.

abarro81

• forum hero
Is this the same crag do you know? Looks totally amazing http://gerome-pouvreau.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/la-madone-9a-et-mercato.html (sorry for the off topic) Will ask Zippy for the knowledge

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
To be fair it's 20 years ago now...Bruno and Yann opened most of the routes. The crag is a big arc of steepness and that pic is a funny angle which doesn't show the full height but I think it is the crag.  :)

IIRC The prominent prow left of the climber that boundaries the cave is the line of the Moutchiki, the 8b breaks left onto the wall and the extension isn't visible as it arcs way up and back right above the climber, out of view.

Good pic.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
There's two different types of context I guess (within bouldering, sport is entirely different).

Stuff that has already been "discovered" - i.e. obvious gaps on long established crags are obviously fair game for anyone. Would anyone disagree?

Where crags have been newly or recently discovered then the developer(s) may choose to keep them secret until a time that they are ready to disclose such information. A lot of my peers who are developing Yorkshire Grit venues at the moment are recording on UKC as they go with a completely open philosophy. It would be nice if they kept it under wraps till I had a chance to visit to tick whatever I could in the low 7s range, but hey, I'm not the one who "found" the crag so it's hardly up to me! It could take me ages to get round to visiting so its hardly a reasonable request. Although not a new crag, I certainly kept Yeadon relatively quiet till I had The Cestrian done. I've always wanted to find a good, technical, tall wall climb, so I definitely didn't want that one to get away!

If there is a special case where a project has taken much cleaning and preparation then I think it respectful to stay away. I don't think anyone will have any problem doing that for Andy as he is a thoroughly decent sort.

Whilst at Yeadon I did make enquiries with a few friends as to coming up and getting a load of pads under the highball roof stuff on the Prune. One of them (he knows who he is!) asked me not to publicise, saying that "if it's less than 7C then we will get it done". I thought this a little galling as, on the numerous occassions I've invited him out to 'new' crags he has declined, dismissing them as shit. You've got to put the effort in to expect favours and in this case I'd rather just see the stuff get done, regardless of by whom.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
Started a discussion on this subject on the Irish bouldering forum, interesting to see if the Irish boulderers are in agreement with folks on here.

http://www.theshortspan.com/smf/index.php?topic=112.0

petejh

• forum hero
Had a read of that link. Somebody should take the time to articulate clearly what it is about a FA that gives it more value (to some people). Because that's what is at the heart of the issue of closed projects, route or boulder.

I've some half-formed ideas on why I find the challenge of doing FA's appealing but don't have time to explain them. A lot of it is related to ego. Put in perspective, when I think about my experience of climbing other routes/probs it realy doesn't matter at all to me who first 'did' them, beyond some very minor point of interest - I couldn't tell you off the top of my head who first climbed loads of the routes I've done, although I do enjoy knowing about the history of climbing.
When people get bent out of shape over naming rights/first ascents of insignificant stuff I think they should fast-forward 10 years in their minds adn realise nobody else coming along afterwards really gives the slightest shit who did what first, unless it's world's first 9a, first 9a O/S, first 9b+ etc. And even then, I'm more interested in what I can do/not do.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
Had a read of that link. Somebody should take the time to articulate clearly what it is about a FA that gives it more value (to some people). Because that's what is at the heart of the issue of closed projects, route or boulder.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing Pete, I didn't want to go into it there as I think I had said enough. But, I suspect, it's something that might be a little hard to understand from the outside looking in. I agree 100% that it's the heart of the issue, it make little sense to respect a closed project if you don't see any significance in FAs.

remus

• forum hero
...it make little sense to respect a closed project if you don't see any significance in FAs.

I don't think this is quite true. While some people may not care about getting FAs some do, so respecting closed projects (where you know them to be closed projects) is more about recognising and respecting the wishes of the potential FA, not so much the inherent value of getting the FA.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
And even then, I'm more interested in what I can do/not do.

:agree:

As impressive as Ben Moon climbing Raindshadow; Alex Megos on-sighting 9a; Ondra putting up Change/La Dura Dura*/flashing Jade etc.; Haston crushing routes +50yrs are, for me they're just something to pass idle time at work.  I'm far more interested in what I and my mates (including people here and on Twatter) are getting done and find it far more interesting as its more tangible to me.

* An interesting case to consider in this discussion given it was Shamraaaa's project that he "let" Ondra get on but whom eventually got the FA.  The impression I got from all the hype suggests that Shamraaaa was more than happy for Adam to get the FA and that the whole "v's" thing was hype by the Big Up/Sender(/whoever filmed it) people making the film.  For those that haven't seen it here's a film on it

blamo

• addict
I am curious, beyond the Jibe Tribout stories, are there many cases of people not respecting red-tags on routes? 

In some cases getting the FA is more about trivial recognition after having sunk a bunch of money, time, and energy into a scrappy piece of rock when you could have been climbing (as compared to manual labor).

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser

Sob sob...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
That looks alright for something climbing out of a toilet.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I am curious, beyond the Jibe Tribout stories, are there many cases of people not respecting red-tags on routes? 

[anecdote]
Erik Grandelius lost patience with an equipper who'd red-tagged a project on a local crag (the project had been red-tagged for a couple of years, the equipper lived in Thailand IIRC, and climbing was officially banned) and just climbed it (when he was still a teen ager). The red tag was a pink ribbon on the first bolt, so Erik called the route “The pink ribbon”. Much hilarity on climbing forums ensued. The equipper wrote that Erik had to “retract the FFA-claim and apologise”.
[/anecdote]

[disclaimer]
I have cleaned/bolted routes that have taken days to clean, and routes that have given me anaphylactic shocks due to the amount of pollen. Personally I couldn't care less if others free them before me, but I have never been particularly attached to the outcome of a single-pitch climb. I think this is at the hearth of the question, I can imagine it is much different for more outcome-orienteered climbers.
[/disclaimer]

roddersm

• stalker

Sob sob...

Nice looking problem dave...you should have vaselined the holds when you had the chance...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal