UKBouldering.com

Crag X fly tipping (Read 11654 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Crag X fly tipping
June 07, 2015, 09:51:08 pm
Hi all.

I was out at Crag X (in the Peak) earlier today, with a few folk (especially the esteemed mrjonathanr of this parish - great session  ;D).

As we were leaving, we noticed a lot of rubbish dumped over the wall near the usual parking spot. We were considering clearing it up there and then, but were short of time, and noticed a pile of black bags further down the slope too.

I have a couple of questions/proposals.

Obvious one first. Anyone free this week to go out and clear it up? I don't have transport, but will gladly join anyone who wants to head out. PM me. I'm in Sheffield.

Secondly, I'd like to start a crag cleanup thread, with a view to having a link on the Peak Park website, or something similar, if they agree to it -reports, plus photos of cleanup efforts. Could be great for many reasons, including improvement of the dialogue/relationship between the Peak Park and us (climbers).

Perhaps something like this already exists, but if not, let's do it.

Mods, what do you think?

Dave T.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 08, 2015, 05:12:53 pm
The Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA) website only has this basic page for contacting them.  I couldn't find anything specific about such fly tipping.

I suspect though that responsibility for such fly-tipping falls under the responsibility of local authorities (it does within Sheffield as I've reported it in the past myself).  Getting PDNPA to accept reports and then pass them on is potentially adding in another layer of beuracracy and administration they might not have the manpower for, so it might be quicker/more appropriate to report directly.  To which end these are the boroughs listed on PDNPA's website that cover the Peak District and the links are direct to their pages for reporting fly tipping...

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council : Report Fly Tipping
Cheshire East  Council : Report Fly Tipping
Derbyshire Dales District Council : Report Fly Tipping
High Peak Borough Council : Report Fly Tipping
Kirklees Borough Council : Report Fly Tipping
North East Derbyshire District Council : Report Fly Tipping
Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council : Report Fly Tipping
Sheffield City Council : Report Fly Tipping
Staffordshire Moorlands District Council : Report Fly Tipping

Obviously you need to know which Council borough the locaiton rubbish you come across falls within, but perhaps using a smart-phones GPS to pin-point the location when reporting it would assist with that.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:21:11 pm by slackline »

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#2 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 08, 2015, 08:07:05 pm
Hi Slackline, and thanks for the links. I may report it to the relevant authority.

What I was/am hoping to achieve, was a way of perhaps highlighting some of the clean up work that already gets done by climbers - sort of "setting a good example". I wasn't thinking in terms of reporting issues to the PDNP for them to sort out.

Anything that expands the possibility of "feel good" dialogue (rather than complaint) has to be a good thing; you're more likely to discuss future developments with those people you're already in dialogue with, in my opinion. ?

Anyone who fancies a trip out, and to help clean it up, PM me.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 08, 2015, 08:09:46 pm
What I was/am hoping to achieve, was a way of perhaps highlighting some of the clean up work that already gets done by climbers - sort of "setting a good example". I wasn't thinking in terms of reporting issues to the PDNP for them to sort out.

Anything that expands the possibility of "feel good" dialogue (rather than complaint) has to be a good thing; you're more likely to discuss future developments with those people you're already in dialogue with, in my opinion. ?

Yep, I think thats a great idea to demonstrate that climbers as a group are interested/willing to do work to protect/care for the environments they use and would stand them in good stead when meeting with official bodies.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 08, 2015, 08:19:42 pm
Maybe one of the local councils/nat park could be coaxed into swinging by and picking up the bags of rubbish collected? IE if a group collects it and leaves it by the lay by they could take it away?

T_B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 08, 2015, 08:32:27 pm
Dave, I didn't even notice the rubbish when I was there Saturday morning. What I did notice is we now have 2 paths leading to the crag, due to that fallen tree. Obviously it's too much like hard work to spend 30 seconds taking yer pad off and chucking it under the tree, so a new path has been trampled above. Plus, the path below is very quickly eroding away as it's been pushed onto steeper ground. What would be really great would be if someone who knows what they're doing and isn't accident prone (i.e. not me) took a chainsaw to that tree!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#6 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 08, 2015, 08:47:38 pm

Secondly, I'd like to start a crag cleanup thread, with a view to having a link on the Peak Park website, or something similar, if they agree to it -reports, plus photos of cleanup efforts. Could be great for many reasons, including improvement of the dialogue/relationship between the Peak Park and us (climbers).

Seconded. Perhaps a 'leave only footprints, take only photographs bin bags' sort of a thing. Highlighting climbers' good husbandry re the crag environment can't be a bad thing, can it?

I do think that collecting the rubbish and carting it out is a great idea. I'd want to avoid trampling random ferns in the process though  :blink:, so tread lightly.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#7 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 08, 2015, 09:50:01 pm
Dave, I didn't even notice the rubbish when I was there Saturday morning. What I did notice is we now have 2 paths leading to the crag, due to that fallen tree. Obviously it's too much like hard work to spend 30 seconds taking yer pad off and chucking it under the tree, so a new path has been trampled above. Plus, the path below is very quickly eroding away as it's been pushed onto steeper ground. What would be really great would be if someone who knows what they're doing and isn't accident prone (i.e. not me) took a chainsaw to that tree!

Yes. +1 for that.

I admit, I took the lazy option on the way out. Of course, the old path should disappear, but yes, we Ned to be very sensitive about it. On a similar, but less sensitive vein, what was responsible for loss of brickwork atop the wall?

erm, sam

• forum hero
#8 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 08, 2015, 09:57:30 pm
'd like to start a crag cleanup thread

I did start the below thread a few (a lot) of years ago but nobody joined in.

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=12574.0

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#9 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 08, 2015, 10:16:18 pm

I will check it out!  :icon_beerchug:

..and post on it if we get to clean up the mess.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#10 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 08, 2015, 10:49:14 pm

Sam,

I'll +1 for that thread!

Can we rename it/restart it as:

"Pick it Up and Post it Up!" - which is such a great line, by you? Then share with whomsoever..?

Dave T.

Seb

• addict
#11 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 08, 2015, 11:28:38 pm
Im up for helping clean up a bit when im out. Even if its just take a black bag out every so often and fill it with rubbish.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 09, 2015, 06:40:51 am
Not fly tipping but theres no reason why everyone can't pick up at least a few bits of rubbish whilst walking to/from or at the crag and take it home (and obviously avoid dropping litter of their own).

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 09, 2015, 08:27:56 am
I'd leave the tree.. Give it a year or so and the old path will disappear if no-one uses it (blocking it off at the fork might precipitate that..). A case of chopping it up might/would make more disturbance than leaving it with the other path etc.. (Plus dead trees lying on the ground is an important part of an ecosystem..). Lower down its a bit more of an issue and maybe a little trimming to allow the path just before the crag to be straighter would help..

For those who've not seen the rubbish, (it's now a little more overgrown) there are bags of shit thrown down the (steep) hill by the lay by - and it's pretty steep there. So it's sadly not just a case of pick up a few cans when leaving - it requires (as Dave suggests) a bit more organisation and possibly a rope to make scrambling easier etc.. Though that area has been a dumping ground of old - a few 100m upballey and there's an old car wreck down in the woods!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#14 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 09, 2015, 10:07:33 am
Yeah I'll repeat what tomtom said. I thought i'd be able to pick up a few bits of rubbish last night, but it essentially looks like someones household waste strewn down the hillside, plus a few full black bin bags way down the slope, didn't really fancy getting Tetanus. I've thrown some bin bags and rubber gloves in the car for the next time I'm down there.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#15 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 09, 2015, 10:25:53 am
didn't really fancy getting Tetanus. I've thrown some bin bags and rubber gloves in the car for the next time I'm down there.

Good idea.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#16 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 09, 2015, 12:09:45 pm
A litter picker is a good idea to avoid having to touch rubbish. A little over two fuck alls from B&Q.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#17 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 09, 2015, 02:39:44 pm

Mods, what do you think?

Dave T.

A separate crag clean-up thread / initiative can only be a good thing, albeit keeping Crag X out of it. Not sure a
link on the Peak Park website is such a good idea as the Peak Park is only one out many landowners and managers and personally I wouldn't want to appear a "try-hard" as my sons would say.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#18 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 09, 2015, 03:32:12 pm

Mods, what do you think?

Dave T.

A separate crag clean-up thread / initiative can only be a good thing, albeit keeping Crag X out of it. Not sure a
link on the Peak Park website is such a good idea as the Peak Park is only one out many landowners and managers and personally I wouldn't want to appear a "try-hard" as my sons would say.

Hi Shark.

What do you think of "erm, Sam"'s thread, with a possible change to "Pick it Up, Post it Up!" - as per my earlier proposal, if he's agreeable to the change.

Asking of course, because he'd already made the effort of starting that thread.

Regarding the rubbish at Crag X. Of course we want to keep publicity of exactly where it is, hidden.

I see a little pay back for the privilege of using such a beautiful place, to be an act of gratitude and appreciation. By the way, the rubbish there would take very little time to clean up. The stuff at the top looked like a typical car clean out, and the refuse at the bottom was all bagged up, ready to go! PM me, if you're heading out, anyone, tho busy tonight - unless someone else gets there first.

Can't see that it would hurt to at least make the Peak Park aware of any crag cleanup thread. ?

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#19 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 10, 2015, 05:10:34 pm
I've moved the tree so that's sorted, forgot to take a black bag with me but there isn't masses to do.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#20 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 10, 2015, 05:38:26 pm
Make sure you post up some photos of your handy work, if you collect the rubbish! ("At a crag near W-C-J"?) Did you see the black bags lower down the slope? I doubt they'll be much hassle to retrieve either.

Crag X is probably getting a lot more attention these days, and obviously we need to be especially sensitive here. I wasn't sure about the wisdom of moving the tree, but things should revert to how they were before.  :)

erm, sam

• forum hero
#21 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 10, 2015, 06:16:13 pm

"Pick it Up and Post it Up!" - which is such a great line, by you? Then share with whomsoever..?

Fine by me!

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#22 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 10, 2015, 11:22:45 pm
Excellent, I'll see what the Great white Shark thinks  8)

T_B

• forum hero
#23 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 10, 2015, 11:33:53 pm
Moo did a great job with the tree :great:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#24 Re: Crag X fly tipping
June 11, 2015, 09:42:03 am

Fine by me!

Done and moved from the Bouldering Board to this one ie "get involved: access, environment, BMC" and set as a 'sticky' topic

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal