UKBouldering.com

Wooden Slopers? (Read 5066 times)

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
Wooden Slopers?
May 05, 2015, 06:24:25 pm
Does anyone know of any wooden sloper hold manufacturers other than the beastmaker ones? After quite a few and they are quite expensive!
Cheers

deacon

• addict
#1 Re: Wooden Slopers?
May 05, 2015, 08:11:45 pm
Could you make your own? Make them out of a hard timber like tulipwood rather than pine and you'll be fine.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#2 Re: Wooden Slopers?
May 05, 2015, 08:15:21 pm
I find bits of 5x3 put side on make good slopers, but board is steep enough that the are a good angle without needing much work. A bit of sanding of the front edge rapidly makes them harder.

Muesli

• addict

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4 Wooden Slopers?
May 05, 2015, 10:21:00 pm
Pop down to your local timber merchants.
A saw, a 2" and a 4" turned fence post (not peeled, too rough) and some judicious cuts will provide you with a myriad of possibilities. At around £2-3 for a 1.2mtr length.
You can also pick up turned post caps in a variety of shapes (acorns, balls, pyramids etc) for less than £2 each.

We have a workshop at the Bunker where we make all kinds of wooden holds and often use these as starting points. Even without a router, just using a mitre box and tenon saw with a bit of sandpaper; you can get some great results (a rasp helps).
We have some shaped in standard C16 construction timber (treated soft wood) that have been in use on our wall for two years now.

Also, a timber merchant will split a fence post on the circular/band saw for you (often free) and save a lot of work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal