UKBouldering.com

[Peak][Various grit & lime][27 probs 6A-8A+] (Read 25258 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
It’s about time I did a roundup of stuff I’ve done, seen, or heard about which hasn’t been reported on here yet, so here one is. The first lot is new stuff I’ve done, the rest is stuff I’ve been around to see or heard about that hasn’t been mentioned on here. Loads of really good ones among them, especially the two harder roof lines at Crich Tors and Ned’s hard stuff obvs.

Gardoms Woods - Repetionista - 6B
Left (100m west) of Sauvito and down the hill a bit is a 6m wall above a bit of a pit. This is home to a fairly well known about LGP (see below). Repetionista climbs the blunt rib to the left of the steep wall with a crux move at the top. A decent highball to add to the circuit. Old money E2 6a/b

Kinder, Upper Tor - Blocksmith - 7A
Seems like yonks ago I did this. It’s on the steep downhill face of the biggest boulder below the main bit of crag. Probably the best none-highball prob at the crag

Froggatt - Hot Toddy LH - 7A+
Moved a boulder so I could try climbing this from a LH sitter. It didn’t really work from the low holds but did manage to climb from a reachy SS pull on a few holds further. One tricky slap and a bit of foot jiggery pokery to get into the normal really.

Froggatt - Georgie Porgie - 7A+
This is on one of Haydn’s vids from a while back. It is on the same block as Roman Orgy, which is beside the descent route between Tody’s and 3 Pebbles. From a sit start on the flake climb the left arête without using holds on the right. Only feels eliminate for the first move of the sit. 7A from standing. The landing slopes a bit and I tied the pads off to a runner of some sort, but you’d get away without this if you have someone to spot the pads.

Black Garden - T-Bonier - 7A+
An extension start to T Bone Wilson. SS matched on the ramp out right, make a couple of trickyish moves into the original, which then feels a bit harder.

Black Garden - Milky Joe - 6C
This is on one of Emlyn’s recent vids. It on the block directly above T Bone. Climb the right arête on its right. Great jump move. Emlyn rinsed the direct start off face holds and said 7A but it felt heinous to me, I think lank helps.

Black garden - Solo Polo Vision - 7A
Above Milky Joe is a scooped wall. Climb the right arête dynamically.

Wind Hill Farm Outcrop – Wind Power - 7A+
This is another super obscure venue with an offputting write up in the guide. To be fair there isn’t loads there but it is close to the NW of the city and the new thing is good and could be combined with a trip to Smallfield or Hurkling. Grid ref SK24259855. Obvious parking on road to the south, 5min walk in. The main block is full of passages/caves and looks to be a well used local youth hangout.
Climb the bulge left of the central flake crack (which is out for hands and feet obvs). There’s five or six easier lines which have no doubt been climbed before and make decent warm ups.

Curbar – Back Slab SS - 7A+
On the block above the one with Veale Thing on. The guide has a stand start prob called Back Slab going up the vague left arête of the slabby side. The sit start is quite slappy and a bit dabby.

Burbage South – Mudbugs - 7A+
About 100m right of The Alliance and 20m downslope from the edge not far from Notorious BLG and Midge is a leaning pinnacle boulder. From a sit start (low slab is out for feet) climb the leaning wall via pocket and flake then exit via the left shoulder. A direct dyno to the apex would be worthwhile 7B/C but you’d want a enough pads (4 would probably do it) to level the step in the landing.

Blackwell Dale – Bog Standard – 6C+
Keep following the stream down past B&D buttress for maybe 500m, until you get to a vertical wall on the right bank (looking downstream), the left side of which is actually above the water. This is Streamside buttress in the BMC guide and has a couple of E2s on it, one up a flake at the water’s edge, one up the left arching groove where the ivy starts, both finish at an insitu rope sling, This and the next problem climb the nice blank wall between these on Chee Tor quality water featured holds. Bog Standard climbs a vague shallow groove the break. The name applies to the ground underneath not the quality of the climbing. I kept my pad dry by resting it on some dead branches.

Blackwell Dale – Petrified Snails – 6C+
Just left of Bog Standard. Hug up between the BS groove and the vague slopey arête to its left until the big flatty on BS can be reached and hence the break. Nice mono.

Crich Tors
This place traditionally gets a poor write up in guides which probably explains why the roof hasn’t been developed before. Anyway the roof bit is perfect highball height and has a very good landing. The slab was super mossy prior to cleaning and could still do with some more sweeping, so it’s worth bringing a short rope to ab clean the lip holds which are likely to have loose strands of moss on them. Access is fine but you are in eye/ear shot of local back gardens so please don’t be shouting/swearing etc and dogs are likely to set the local dogs off barking so are probably best left at home. We did have a chat with a couple of fellas from the houses and after some initial wariness they were very friendly in the end. The RH section of the crag, past a fence has some interesting looking slab routes from back in the day but appears to be officially or unofficially part of someone’s garden, so is best left alone. I’ve just listed the new things on the main roof, but Bolehillbilly has done some other things left of this, I think these are documented on the UKC database.

Crich Tors – Elephant Hawk Moth - 7A
This problem is a solid gold classic and climbs the wide righthand side of the roof into a tricky direct exit roll onto the slab, you then have some HVS 5a type solo territory to the top.

Crich Tors - Caterpillar - 6C
Start up the right arête to gain the lip of the roof, follow this left past the exit of EHM to an easier topout a bit further left using the obvious crack/flake hold. Finish up the slabby crack.

Crich Tors – Highrider - 7B+
The hardest and best prob here, the roof about 2m right of the obvious roof crack. Took me a while to figure the sequence, good toe-hooking shoes are useful. The lip turn is easier and not as high as that on EHM making it feel a lot less of a ballsy problem.

Left again the roof crack has been cleaned and climbed above pads is a great 6B+. The guide grade of E1 5c seems a bit harsh

Crich Tors –  <TBC> - 6B
A good head warmup for the main roof. Start up the groove left of the roof then gain the arete and holds on the front. The easiest exit is up the top crack of The Roof. FA Marc Bellinghall

Burbage South – Thick End of the Wedge - 7C+
This is a sit start to Home Cooking and a bit of a stunner. We had to move a fair sized block to make this work. The lower section of the prow is steep and bar one crimp is pure fridge squeezing. FA Ned Feehally

Curbar – Jamie and his Magic Torch SS – 7B+
The sitter adds quite a bit more balancy technical climbing. Seemed pretty good when I tried it with Kershaw a while back. FA Jamie Lilleman

Stanage Marble Wall area – You Fink I’m Freaky – 7B/+
This is a left curving prowy arête just down and right (looking uphill) of the ‘green room’. Haven’t tried but I hear it’s good. FA Jamie Lilleman

Ramshaw – Scratches – 7C+
Right of Old Fogey buttress is an undercut slab with an obscure 7A up its right arete called Ae Line. Sit start on the right and climb the rising exceedingly slopey lip leftward to an exit at a thin crack by the left arête. Well good. FA Ned Feehally

Rowtor - Thalidomide Thumb Wars – 7C+
An extension start to the rarely climbed Kim’s Slap (reachy 7B+/C), starting matched on the flake on the right. FA Ned Feehally

Robin Hood Stride – Path of the Righteous Man direct start – 7A+
Stand start direct to jug, drop off. FA Ned Feehally

Robin Hood Stride – Path of the Righteous Man RH start – 7B
Start in the flake crack on the right and make a hard step across the wall into said jug, drop off. FA Ned Feehally

Mother’s Pet – Mother’s Ruin – 7B
Some way left of the main block (100m?) is a slabby ‘ball’. The obvious desperate ball maul. FA Ned Feehally

Secret Garden – Savage Garden – 7C
Climb the prow forming the left side of Hulley Pulley from sitting. Quality squeeze monging. FA Ned Feehally

Gardoms Woods – Pit Fighter – 7B+
AKA the Pit project/ Welford’s project. The low start LGP is still to be done but the upper half swinging in off the block on the right is a fantastic highball in itself and a friendlier prospect now the landing has been sorted out a bit. Gain the central flake and some slopey crimps then exit left via the niche. For location see Repetionista description above. FA Ned Feehally

Burbage South – Heavy Skies – 8A+
Talking of LGPs he’s only gone and climbed the sit start to Intense! Thereby turning a scrappy height dependant eliminate into a hard quality test piece. Haven't got any more detail than that am afraid. FA Ned Feehally

Blackwell Dale – Black, Sack & Crack – 7B
Continuing down dale from Black & Decker Buttress, after passing a vertical buttress you get to a bulge capped roof with a weird tufa pillar at its base. This starts in the break under the roof then crosses it at its widest and punches up slopey crimps to the obvious hanging jug rail. As good if not better than Ovine. FA Ned Feehally

Consider the beans spilled. Enough for a new guide yet Cofe?  :jab:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Various pics and vids to follow.

T_B

• forum hero
Nice one Jon

My missus did a new problem at Stanage End last month - 'Grizzly Traverse'. It's on the wall around to the right of Love Handles and is pretty decent, though a little sharp in places.

Starts sitting at an obvious flatty then heads rightwards across the wall before finishing via two obvious pockets and a jug. I thought about Font 6B.

cofe

• forum hero
Nice one yoot, about flipping time. Like the sound of Black, Sack and Crack and the Crich stuff. I eagerly await your photographic and video documentation of these climbs.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Heavy skies 8a+? What drugs were used here? It's 8a to jump start and the moves to this are at least 8b! Tho you could be right you haven't got all the details, try and find out if he started matched Jon. Shit that's such a small grade for that I can't really think about it  :'(

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
You know what he's like, not one to splash big numbers about etc.

Stubbs

Pic here from https://instagram.com/beastmakers/

(not sure this will embed)

a dense loner

• forum hero
Fuck that looks intense!

CJDavies

• regular
  • Crimp Brusher.
  • Crime: Not owning a video camera.
Wow - I had no idea that this had been done.  A great long stander.  This should have been news surely?  8a+ huh!

Looked at this years ago, although the slot was always full of ice.  Cool stuff.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Is he leaning off a massive toe-hook in the gully or what? Might explain the 'lowly' grade...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Beastly stuff, should be news aye!

Crich Tors....I told Oggers about this a decade ago, he should have listened...

CJDavies

• regular
  • Crimp Brusher.
  • Crime: Not owning a video camera.
Agreed Mr Brown - that is a large toe hook going on there.  I hadn't really considered that years ago, so thought proper hard. 

dave

Is he leaning off a massive toe-hook in the gully or what? Might explain the 'lowly' grade...

Be a bit disappointing if he is, but would make more sense. I envisaging the lower start going up via the high left sidepull, now that would be properly intense.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
He did start matched in the slot for this, then go right hand first for the miserably slopey edge with decent thumb catch.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Was it a sit start or was it an American sit start with his right toe already in that position? Tell me everything, except that that makes me sick!

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Proper sit start, right hand first then a bit of foot jiggery to get the heel toe in

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
The line has just been turned from a weird eliminate into a proper problem and already folk seem to want it to go back to being one again.   :blink:

cofe

• forum hero
Ned's such an arsehole.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
The whole thing's one big embarrassment. No wonder that guy training for it can't sleep at night.

cofe

• forum hero
I certainly don't know how Ned can sleep at night if he was alive today while he's sleeping in Jerry's grave at night.

bolehillbilly

• stalker
Consider the beans spilled.

Good underplayed bean spillage sir.

Crich Tors –  <TBC> - 6B
A good head warmup for the main roof. Start up the groove left of the roof then gain the arete and holds on the front. The easiest exit is up the top crack of The Roof.

The left hand line on the roof is called Peak Practice 6b.

On a small buttress 50m left of the roof (mentioned in the old guide) are two new problems based on the arête.

Wind Singer 6a
Left side of the arête.

Fire Song 6a
Right side of the arête.

Both on good rock with some unusual nipple like protrusions.

Some roof footage...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Just remembered, Ned also did a mantel through the middle of Scratches at Ramshaw, looked hard (7b?). He nearly linked it to the SS of Scratches but heel popped at the last moment, so that's still to do.
He also did the project mantel left of Journey to the Centre of the Mirf in the new guide, again a vague mention of 7b was made.
Whilst I'm documenting the Ned-machine, since doing this thread he has climbed the left arete of the Guplets wall from SS low start at 7c+ - this is called Black Asteroid and is a real belter.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:34:24 am by Bonjoy »

a dense loner

• forum hero
This is by far his best prob around, and unfortunately has got me psyched to climb outside again  >:(

monkey boy

• forum hero
Black Asteroid is awesome but just to avoid confusion it isn't a sit start, unless you stack a good few pads.

It goes from LH on an obvious pinch/slot thing and a RH on the arete at the same height as LH. First move is the crux but next few are fumble-able and top out adds a nice bit of spice.

Wood FT

• forum hero
great name that

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal