UKBouldering.com

[Cheshire][Harmers Wood][The Mudlark][7A/+] (Read 5229 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
[Cheshire][Harmers Wood][The Mudlark][7A/+]
August 13, 2015, 04:42:25 pm
The obvious cleaned, brown stained wall in the bay directly opposite Harmers Arete. A little dusty still but better than it looks in this unappealing picture with pretty good rock and some interesting climbing. I've no idea of the grade, it felt nails on Monday but went fine today.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Hooray! Thought this might be the wall left of Dark Ark for a minute. How goes that one?

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Good work. I beat the truly forgettable 'Bank Robber' into submission recently in the main quarry. Let's just say there was more gardening than climbing.

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
Tried this yesterday evening; felt every bit 7A+, i.e. a good deal harder than babyblock in the other quarry.

Unfortunately i snapped a foothold off - a little protrusion just below the lefthand mono and continued trying the move using a tiny v-shaped edge a little lower and to the right. Solid at 7A+ for sure...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Crag wrecker...  ;)

andy popp

• forum hero
Thanks Ally, good to have the grade confirmed. Were you turning the righthand pocket into an undercut to go up for the high LH crimp?

The foothold probably isn't critical, there are quite a few possibilities and it doesn't sound like anything I used. I might go back and brush some glue into a few of them though.

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
I was turning the RH pocket into a sidepull/finger jam, and tickling the edge out left - i felt too out of balance to flip it to an undercut. I'll have to go back and try the alternate method if the summer rain-ocalypse ends

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Sounds good, hopefully I'll get a chance to get on this at some point. Have you looked at The Dark Ark, Ally? An essential problem if this sort of thing is up your street.

andy popp

• forum hero
I was turning the RH pocket into a sidepull/finger jam, and tickling the edge out left - i felt too out of balance to flip it to an undercut. I'll have to go back and try the alternate method if the summer rain-ocalypse ends

It did feel off at first but I found a nice position for turning it round, which I do after having also turned the mono into an undercut. It isn't over when you've got the high edge either.

I might be there early tomorrow afternoon if it stays dry.

tomtom

• forum hero

It did feel off at first but I found a nice position for turning it round, which I do after having also turned the mono into an undercut. It isn't over when you've got the high edge either.

I might be there early tomorrow afternoon if it stays dry.

Text me if you're heading over Andy - not sure what my movements will be tomorrow but might be keen for a afternoon hour..

andy popp

• forum hero
Will do Tom.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
If it helps, I was running on the hill last night and popped by. Main quarry a bit damp, new problem dry apart from big obvious footholds next to the ground.

andy popp

• forum hero
Cheers Steve. In fact Tom and I popped in for a brief play this afternoon and it was all dry (the big low footholds aren't used anyway). Or it was until it started raining ...

andy popp

• forum hero
Nige Hunt repeated this this evening and confirmed the grade at 7A+. He seemed to enjoy it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal