UKBouldering.com

Boulder pads to U.S. (Read 2642 times)

groovedog

• addict
Boulder pads to U.S.
May 01, 2015, 09:12:27 pm
Does anybody have any knowledge on taking pads to the states?

I understand Virgin allows a free item of Sprorts baggage, but the problem lies on an internal flight to from New York to S.Fran. Basically three nights in NY is to keep the Mrs Happy!

I've been in Kanoo travel in Sheffield (super helpful) but it basically involves using Delta,United or Virgin America to get across America. Their excess backage seemed ridiculous. $200-300 to take a pad.

If we flew London SFran there would be no charge with Virgin.

The options are
-buy a pad in US, bring in back free SF-London
-or ship the pad via a courier to SF and bring it back for free

Does anyone have any current experience or knowledge on this one?

Thanks
Dog

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Boulder pads to U.S.
May 01, 2015, 09:46:23 pm
Ah - I saw a tweet from a cycling blog/website that listed the bike carriage details for all the uS carriers and I thought I would be similar/same for mats.. Maybe google it?

Duma

• forum hero
#2 Re: Boulder pads to U.S.
May 01, 2015, 11:35:00 pm
Buy an organic pad when you're out there

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#3 Re: Boulder pads to U.S.
May 01, 2015, 11:59:27 pm
A regular sized pad will often be just below the size limit for the airlines, and hence be free aside from normal baggage charges.  check it measure the pad, and then double check. 

I've been able to fly delta, united and Alaska Airlines at no charge for a "standard" sized pad.(the basic organic pad).  That was part of the rational for the size of "standard" pads. 

rodma

• forum hero
#4 Re: Boulder pads to U.S.
May 02, 2015, 07:54:20 am
Is the same for the black Diamond sizing isn't it. We bought one of their wee ones last year so that at could take it to font and back, since it was small enough to fit on the conveyor and when you add the length width height it was small enough by 20mm. The mondo is sized so that it just clears the sides of the outsized baggage scanner (by 10mm on each side ) . I'd have thought that the drop zone would be equally sensibly sized, but I've never owned one.

Unfortunately none of this helps smooth out the process at the airport

jmews

• regular
#5 Re: Boulder pads to U.S.
May 04, 2015, 04:13:28 pm
Baggage charges and rules on US internal flights are pretty steep and strict. Given the relatively low cost of pads in the US, I would probably suggest buying a pad in CA and then flying back with it for free on Virgin. I have flown with a bike in a box London -> SF on Virgin with no charge, and they are pretty reasonable about their sports equipment rules.

I know the Touchstone gyms in Berkeley and SF often have organic pads for sale - otherwise you may have to custom order one ahead of time and have it delivered to somewhere from where you will be able to collect it.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#6 Re: Boulder pads to U.S.
May 04, 2015, 04:33:16 pm
I know the Touchstone gyms in Berkeley and SF often have organic pads for sale - otherwise you may have to custom order one ahead of time and have it delivered to somewhere from where you will be able to collect it.

This may be the best bet.  The organic or Asana basic pads are under $200, so not a bad deal in the US...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#7 Re: Boulder pads to U.S.
May 04, 2015, 04:34:09 pm
If you know where you will be staying, you could also order a pad and have it shipped there.  that way no faffing about trying to find pad store. 

groovedog

• addict
#8 Re: Boulder pads to U.S.
May 04, 2015, 09:39:11 pm
Thanks for the knowledge.

When with the travel agent booker, we basically narrowed it down to Delta, United or Virgin America across US, all of which were going to charge a pad as excess oversize baggage with it being internal. Can't remember the exact price but it was cheaper to buy one there.

I may weigh up shipping mine out there to the hotel prior or like you say buy one there.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#9 Re: Boulder pads to U.S.
May 04, 2015, 10:38:48 pm
I rate these, and they do free shipping in the US. 

http://www.asanaclimbing.com/bouldering/bouldering-pads.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal