UKBouldering.com

Equip Outdoor Technologies sell Podsacs (Read 9483 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Equip Outdoor Technologies sell Podsacs
October 25, 2013, 02:06:57 pm
Got a press release from our sponsors Equip:

Equip Outdoor Technologies Ltd (owners of Rab® and Lowe Alpine) has reached an agreement to sell the Podsacs brand to Planet X Limited in a deal that was concluded on 23rd October 2013.

Equip acquired the Podsacs brand in 2007 from founder Pete O’Donovan and expanded the collection from packs and bouldering mats to include a successful range of accessories. The sale of Podsacs is the final move in a process that will see the Equip group now focus on its two major international brands, Rab® and Lowe Alpine. 

New Podsacs owner Planet X Limited will make a separate statement regarding their future plans for the brand.  The final deliveries of stocks from Equip Outdoor Technologies Ltd have been completed last week.

Planet X

Podsacs stays in Sheffield with Planet X Limited.

Founded in Sheffield by Pete O’Donovan in the early ‘80’s, Podsacs today moves to new owners, the online cycling retail giant Planet X Limited, of Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.

Planet X are the fastest growing UK bike company, with a strong retail heritage of over twenty five years. Employing over 100 staff in their South Yorkshire headquarters they design, manufacture and assemble high performance road and mountain bikes and componentry from £500-£5000, retailing to a global market over the internet and in their destination stores.
Podsacs joins Planet X’s existing brands, On-One, Titus, Holdsworth, Sab, Tomac and Viner.

Acquired from Equip Outdoor Technologies Ltd (owners of Rab and Lowe Alpine), Planet X are set to take the product on to new heights, with the team of designers, factories and athletes intact and in place.

CEO David Hanney said “It’s fantastic to be in a position to take a classic brand like Podsacs on to the next level, and the systems we have developed at Planet X will allow us to make those differences.”

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Podsac panniers?  :-\

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I can see the packs being of interest to a bike company, but not sure what they will do with bouldering mats?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I can see the packs being of interest to a bike company, but not sure what they will do with bouldering mats?

Ride to Stanage early in the morning and flash The Ace.  ::)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

Wait just one goddamn minute...for your multi-sport hols...

A foam bike bag that doubles up as bouldering mat. Inflatable middle like those pricey Ronin ones...
 8)
They can send me my royalties to the usual address...

SA Chris

• forum hero
Bloody marvellous.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
My sister in law is a buyer for Planet X and helped negotiate the deal. She say they won't be selling climbing gear apparently.....

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
But don't quote me on that

SA Chris

• forum hero
Wait just one goddamn minute...for your multi-sport hols...

A foam bike bag that doubles up as bouldering mat. Inflatable middle like those pricey Ronin ones...

And if you zip 2 together it could hold surfboards!

Paul B

• forum hero
They can send me my royalties to the usual address...

Lagerstarfish Towers?

But don't quote me on that

were you in Stonelove?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
a bike bag that turns into a set of panniers that inflate into a Ronin style bouldering mat?

so if some gets the midnight train from London they could be flashing 8A at the plantation before the sun comes up?

8)

a mate at work mentioned that Planet X are expanding their customer service team and have been advertising for new meat

dave

#11 Equip Outdoor Technologies sell Podsacs
October 25, 2013, 08:12:32 pm

My sister in law is a buyer for Planet X and helped negotiate the deal. She say they won't be selling climbing gear apparently.....

By this do we mean the bouldering mats will be discontinued? If so thats a bit of a blow. i should go out and stock up.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
Never had one so don't know whether it is a shame.... Is it?

Duma

• forum hero
yup, though my next mat will be thicker I think. they are very well built bits of kit

underground

• forum hero
Since the Banana Bag, Cragsac, Teardrop, Super Teardrop, Escape Pod etc. are no longer available, they should have changed the name ages ago. podsacs my arse. I almost bought a Berghaus sac for the missus and decided a £20 no name thing off ebay did the job instead. Appalling.

Having said that, they have the best customer service by miles. Mended my 20+ year old Cragsac FOC as well as replacing a Rab shell that was leaking, also FOC. For that reason alone, I'll buy their kit whenever I need kit. Thanks Equipe :)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Having said that, they have the best customer service by miles. Mended my 20+ year old Cragsac FOC as well as replacing a Rab shell that was leaking, also FOC. For that reason alone, I'll buy their kit whenever I need kit. Thanks Equipe :)

I had the opposite! Great use of my pod granit 25l bag for just under 2 years, then the zip went dodgy on the main compartment and eventually derailed with knackered teeth on a small section. I asked about the possibility of a repair and was quoted 27.50 which is about 2.50 less than I paid for the bag as new (through work)  :thumbsdown:

dave

#16 Re: Equip Outdoor Technologies sell Podsacs
September 30, 2015, 01:13:52 pm
Just to unearth this one again.....Anyone know whats happening with the "Podsacs" brand these days? Since Planet X bought it we've seen most of the existing stock sold off at knockdown prices, they still have the website with remaining dregs on there (mostly stuffsacs and short back length rucksacs). No more bouldering mats, no stock in shops etc.

CEO David Hanney said “It’s fantastic to be in a position to take a classic brand like Podsacs on to the next level, and the systems we have developed at Planet X will allow us to make those differences.”

Maybe "the next level" was a euphemism for death. Was it just an asset stripping exercise? Big shame to see such an iconic Sheffield/climbing brand evaporate.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#17 Re: Equip Outdoor Technologies sell Podsacs
September 30, 2015, 02:26:22 pm
Just to unearth this one again.....Anyone know whats happening with the "Podsacs" brand these days? Since Planet X bought it we've seen most of the existing stock sold off at knockdown prices, they still have the website with remaining dregs on there (mostly stuffsacs and short back length rucksacs). No more bouldering mats, no stock in shops etc.

Maybe "the next level" was a euphemism for death. Was it just an asset stripping exercise? Big shame to see such an iconic Sheffield/climbing brand evaporate.

Unfortunately David Hanney parted company with Planet X shortly after and is now with Alpkit. Martin "Basher" Atkinson is now Chairman of Planet X so there maybe some hope.... 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal