UKBouldering.com

Eastern grit: Gibraltar Rocks and Tor Quarry anyone? (Read 2320 times)

deacon

• addict
Anyone got any info on these, any access issues, established problems/routes, quality?
I drive past them regularly and am often tempted for a look about.
Can find very little online about them (although I may just be looking in the wrong places).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Gibraltar quarry is disappointing to say the least. I've done a couple of fairly worthwhile problems on the edge below the road, and one not great one in the quarry. We did see a hare though.

deacon

• addict
That's a shame, looks fairly promising for the road.

cofe

• forum hero
Sadly, it gets no bigger as you approach it.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
G rocks is not great but i haven't looked at the far left side.
The lower rocks are Tor Quarry (see Burbage Guide) and Tor Tor (I just made that name up) both now access land so ignore the iffy access notes in the guide.
The edge\tor has a very nice highball feature The Hmmm Prow circa E4 6b . Cofe has a nice shot of me bottling the last move. Not much else of interest though. The quarry is a bit of a swamp with a few old routes and scope for more. The cool looking blank arête is actually blank, shame. I reckon there are three or four good short solo\highballs to do further right but they all need ab cleaning and you'll deffo need to bring stakes as there's no belays. The cleaning is mostly to sort out the flaggy tops and heather cornices, the meat of the climbing looks fairly clean and solid. Two interesting offwidths on the left also.
I'd say worth a look seeing as you pass there often.

deacon

• addict
That sounds a little more promising, and hearing that access isn't an issue I'll go and have a mooch around.
Cheers for the info   :)

cofe

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal