UKBouldering.com

Malham - overnight? (Read 3341 times)

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
Malham - overnight?
March 23, 2015, 04:53:29 pm
I'm surprised I couldn't find an existing thread on this, am I just being a tit?

Does anyone know of somewhere to doss nearby? Or if the campsite is open this time of year, and how much it costs?

Thanks!

J_duds

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 23, 2015, 06:19:33 pm
Moon farm next to malham or the one at gordale, are usually open for Easter. Moons campsite can  be busy at weekends.

abarro81

• forum hero
#2 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 23, 2015, 07:00:12 pm
I've stayed various places on the road between Malham and Kilnsey with a van or tent, never been moved on.

gme

• forum hero
#3 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 23, 2015, 07:39:33 pm
We used to sleep in the barn up on the left about 400m past the footpath to the cove. It had a mezzanine deck in it and a wooden ladder up to it. It was a really good doss, other than the constant rustle of rats, and we never had any problems with the farmer. We just kept a low profile.

Not sure if this is possible any more as I am talking 25 years ago, but someone else might be able to shed a light.

The campsite is open all year i think but its shit and was expensive, Gordale much better, but you need a car, and no pub, although that wont bother you i guess.

Doylo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 23, 2015, 07:50:09 pm
I slept in that barn once but was ill the next day.

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 23, 2015, 07:55:53 pm
Thanks for the replies. We'll drop in to the campsite to enquire but it does look expensive, not so keen on the barn. At the minute, plan B is to head to Kilnsey to doss there. 

J_duds

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 23, 2015, 08:03:25 pm
i've walked between malham (cove and pub) and gordale campsite it takes about 20-25mins. Just take a headtorch.

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 23, 2015, 08:13:04 pm
Yeah just had a look at some reviews of that one actually. Looks more affordable! We'll give it a look.

T_B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 23, 2015, 08:28:15 pm
I last slept in the barn about 6 years ago and it seemed a bit skanky. Not sure if it was the dead sheep in the corner, but it didn't seem quite as bucolic as the good ole days. I dunno, maybe I'm getting old.

In the spring doesn't everyone park their vans up on the road towards Malham tarn? Pop up tent wouldn't raise too many eyebrows I shouldn't think if you're wanting to save cash?

abarro81

• forum hero
#9 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 23, 2015, 08:30:19 pm
I've had a tent up for 1 night in that area before with no issues

mark20

• junky
#10 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 23, 2015, 08:46:56 pm
The one by Gordale is quite reasonable, £5 a night I think, and worth it to meet the guy who runs the place - think channel 4's obsessive compulsive hoarders...

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 23, 2015, 08:54:22 pm
Thanks all, we'll see what the dossing situation is like along the road, and head to the gordale campsite if it seems iffy.

The one by Gordale is quite reasonable, £5 a night I think, and worth it to meet the guy who runs the place - think channel 4's obsessive compulsive hoarders...

I've read some reviews of the place and that got mentioned a few times... Doesn't sound much cleaner than the barn.

JohnM

• junky
#12 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 24, 2015, 10:35:10 am
I always sleep on the flat grassy area on the left just after the cattle grid just before you get to Yew Cogar if you are driving from Kilnsey.  I either sleep in the car or put up a tent if I get there early enough and have never had any bother off the farmers.  Sometimes it is a fantastic place to wake up and make a brew in the morning.  On Saturday morning however, there was a freezing constant wind and I couldn't get out of there fast enough!  There used to be another unofficial campsite above Arncliffe in a field that was tolerated by the farmer.  However that got ruined (mainly not by climbers) and banned as people left a load of rubbish, bbqs and tents there which they tried to burn.  Also the woods got plastered in shitty toilet roll. 

Wood FT

• forum hero
#13 Re: Malham - overnight?
March 24, 2015, 11:43:38 am
Thanks all, we'll see what the dossing situation is like along the road, and head to the gordale campsite if it seems iffy.

I've read some reviews of the place and that got mentioned a few times... Doesn't sound much cleaner than the barn.

It's alright, honest. He just seems to collect toothbrushes and stuff like that but it's perfectly hospitable (£5!) and clean as a centuries old outhouse can get really. I had shit night, lost my sleeping bag and had to sleep in the car. Not his fault though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal