UKBouldering.com

Live Music 2015 (Read 10319 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Live Music 2015
March 02, 2015, 10:16:36 am
Seems we didn't have a Live Music 2014 thread so I thought I'd kick this year's off...

Went to see Ryan Adams last night at the Liverpool Student Guild. Good venue, awesome gig... He did several from the latest album and plenty of old stuff. Was on stage for 2 solid hours. Great value... Highlights were Oh my Sweet Carolina, Dear Chicago, awesome solo rendition of My Wrecking Ball and last song, Come Pick Me Up. I'm not ashamed to say I was very emotional!

Only down side was some older guy asking me not to sing! I politely told him he was going to have to stand elsewhere, which he eventually did. The couple next to us sang even louder as a result of his request but there were a fair few shushers. Made me wonder what people's opinions where on this?

kelvin

• forum hero
#1 Re: Live Music 2015
March 02, 2015, 10:20:03 am
If people want to hear the artist sing on his own - buy the fuckin album. It's a live gig. People sing, clap and jump around. At least you'd hope they would, it'd be a shit gig otherwise.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2 Re: Live Music 2015
March 02, 2015, 10:20:33 am
Perfect answer! Thanks :)

andy popp

• forum hero
#3 Re: Live Music 2015
March 02, 2015, 10:47:10 am
It depends completely on the gig. Despite my advanced years I still tend to end up going mad in the mosh pit at a Dinosaur Jr gig and I (and the rest of the audience) will sing my heart out to Jesus etc. by Wilco but I want total bloody silence at Low or Mark Kozelek gig.

andy popp

• forum hero
#4 Re: Live Music 2015
March 02, 2015, 10:48:34 am
Anyway, a live music thread is a good idea - I meant to start one for 2014 but forgot. Glad the gig was so good Si.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Live Music 2015
March 02, 2015, 10:57:27 am
Not been to a gig in a few years, but going to see Foo Fighters at Murrayfield in June, with Royal Blood supporting. Well up for it. I think even if / when I sing at the top of my voice no-one will notice.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#6 Re: Live Music 2015
March 10, 2015, 08:27:17 pm
Went to Camden last night to watch The Fierce and the Dead and PHILM.

Matt Steven's band The Fierce and The Dead are like a rougher Tortoise with a bit of Explosions in the Sky.  He's like a big gentle giant, his Telecaster looks like a toy in his hands.  Really great complex melodic heavy math-rock with some beautiful crystal clear almost hi-life passages.  A bunch of great musicians at the top of their game.

PHILM - Dave Lombardo, the mainstay drummer of Slayer through their best moments who's since permanently quit (there's a great clip on YouTube of him telling why at a drum workshop - getting ripped off by the record company and management) but also a shoe-in for John Zorn's heavier jazz workouts and Mike Patton's avant rock outfit Fantomas has formed his own band.   A classic power trio Guitar/vocals, bass and drums.    I listened to a few songs on a Spotify and they were OK but not outstanding but last night demonstrated the power of live performance over recorded music. Breathtakingly good... fantastic songs with space, depth, crushing intensity, melody and power.  Lombardo had his kit assembled at the front of the stage which wasn't some muso show-off thing but just added to the intensity of the performance.  Outstanding.

Coming up: Winterfylleth on Thursday, The Necks in April, King Creosote's Yellae Ducks festival over the Easter Weekend, Nick Cave at the Albert Hall on May Bank Holiday and me at some point if I can get my shit together.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#7 Re: Live Music 2015
April 02, 2015, 09:47:34 am
Off to Anstruther in Fife tomorrow for King Creoste's tiny Yellae Deuks festival in Anstruther.  Will report back. 

Plattsy

• forum hero
#8 Re: Live Music 2015
April 02, 2015, 11:13:51 am
Fleetwood Mac in June and Deep Purple in December. Catching them before it's too late. Really looking forward to both.

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Live Music 2015
April 02, 2015, 12:10:50 pm
Went to see Ryan Adams last night at the Liverpool Student Guild.

Saw him at the Leeds gig. Really good if a bit odd in places. Not sure how deliberate this may have been. He threw a proper strop at some tosser in the audience taking flash photos after having been asked not to (on account of Ryan's medical condition, which unfortunately my own chronic cbaitis means I'm unable to google), a la "I'm going to come down there and fucking kick your arse..." before storming across the stage, picking up an acoustic and absolutely blasting through the next solo number. The gig calmed and continued good weird with improvised songs about hotel a concierges etc. Very very good, but christ I don't like the venue.

Dunno if it's my ears packing up or if gigs have got quieter? But if the audience aren't engaged (not the case at the Ryan Adams gig,  but at others I've been to at the 02 Academy - MGMT standing out as particularly shit) it gets really distracting with people chatting - I don't mean singing along or whatever and getting into it, which is great though no one wants to see the over the top tosser in a suit dancing like no one's looking. Seriously mate we're trying not to look.  Gigs in my youth, you couldn't hear your mate shout right in your ear over the music. This appears no longer to be the case. Hey ho.

Who else have I seen? Julian Cope at the Brunel Soc Club. Was okay I guess. More of a comedy turn. I was the only one in the audience to cheer as he namechecked his publishers Faber & Faber. (His novel's shite by the way, bar about two good chapters . Unlike Head On and the one that followed which have momentum and are great.) Oh and another guy with a lot of past (played with Crazy Horse ffs) and also in raconteur mode but scouser, Ian McNab. Brilliant gig at the Crukbarn in Appletreewick, great venue. Was never a fan and don't recognise many songs bar a few icicle works numbers, but he was well able solo to fill the room with great sound... Enough. 

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#10 Re: Live Music 2015
April 02, 2015, 01:02:12 pm
Last year ended well with Alestorm and then the who with my dad both great gigs.
Got a decent year of gigs coming up I think.

This month -
While she sleeps - sheffield metalcore supported by cancerbats who I also like

coming up
KoRn - touring there first album in full. Saw them on the untouchable tour in 2003 ish and they were awesome.
Within tempation - in London in December. At the O2 full stadium show.

Hopefully seeing no/fx with Alkaline trio as well.

Anyone off to temple fest? could be interested in heading down for that.
I hope mastodon do some headline shows really liking the new stuff and not seen them in about 9 years.

Also potential for a decent summer of punk gigs as it seems to be coming back into fashion again and metal core is fading

kelvin

• forum hero
#11 Re: Live Music 2015
April 02, 2015, 06:16:26 pm
I've really tried to love the new Masterdon stuff but I'm still left feeling it's a little bland  :shrug:

Saw Placebo at Hammersmith last week. Used to always come away a bit miffed with the crowd, always a little reserved but the last couple of times have been much better. People wearing colourful clothing for a start! Great gig, six of them on stage and the lady played a violin for a few tunes.

Love this band.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#12 Re: Live Music 2015
April 19, 2015, 10:22:23 pm
Godspeed You! Black Emperor at the Albert Hall in Manchester. Didn't recognise many of the tracks but they were, as ever, awesome - quite different to their previous gigs that I have attended in that the sound was like a wall of sound (reminiscent to me of how I think being at a My Bloody Valentine gig would be). Spoke to a guy outside the venue and it was his first GYBE gig and he was truly blown away by it all - related it to undergoing a religious experience which it was probably not that far off.

Nothing on archive.org yet but I suspect that the gig will be uploaded in time - there is a couple of the German gigs from earlier this month available =year%3A%222015%22]here for those of you who want to get an idea of what it was like.  ;D 

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#13 Re: Live Music 2015
April 24, 2015, 07:43:25 am
Last night was amazing fantastic gig. Currently hearing white noise and feed back which I doubt will clear before tomorrow.
Also Stubbsy was there which I found out on facebook after the gig.

This has made my decision about slam dunk very easy. I am going and I will see while she sleeps live again

I could happily spend all day at the desperado stage or the monster stagenot too bothered about the main stage.
Not seen finch since 2005 so will be nice to dig out the t-shirt and see if it still fits.

Gallant

• player
#14 Re: Live Music 2015
April 24, 2015, 08:16:10 am
Do not miss out on the Bronx, I urge you! Having saw them live for the first time when I was 14 might have something to do with my high opinion of them, but they're exceptional live. Comeback Kid are pretty damn fantastic live too, they delivered a killer set a few years back in Sheffield to a half-filled Corp and completely gave it their all.

(I'm unfortunately in the midst of my final uni exams that weekend, so shall be having to miss out, needless to say I'm hugely jealous!)

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#15 Re: Live Music 2015
April 24, 2015, 08:39:32 am
saw them 11 years ago opening for the distillers I was 17 and wasted on tequila so do remember the set too much but remember it being good.

They have played the parish in Huddersfield a few times recently (where the cancer bats are playing monday sold out in 15 mins .. arse)

Bank holiday weekend man two days to recover and revise  ;)

Stubbs

#16 Re: Live Music 2015
April 24, 2015, 08:55:07 am
Last night was amazing fantastic gig. Currently hearing white noise and feed back which I doubt will clear before tomorrow.
Also Stubbsy was there which I found out on facebook after the gig.

Sheffield's finest! Such a great show, rarely such whole crowd involvement from front to back.  Did you catch Loz when he jumped off the balcony?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#17 Re: Live Music 2015
April 24, 2015, 09:21:14 am
nah but was next to the mass rush that stacked it. then next to the hole in the pit which collapsed. shortly after it. He landed about 2 metres from me.

I was also under neath the mass crowd surf about third song in. at one point I had 4 people on my head I help the same guy up 3 times in that one song.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#18 Re: Live Music 2015
April 28, 2015, 11:43:49 am
cancerbats played my local pub last night  :???:
Absolutely brilliant!
 :dance1:

I also bought tickets to see bad religion in manchester and probably buying dead kennedy tickets too.
 :punk:

rodma

• forum hero
#19 Re: Live Music 2015
April 28, 2015, 12:42:37 pm
cancerbats played my local pub last night  :???:
Absolutely brilliant!
 :dance1:

that must have been awesome, well jealous. currently listening to hail destroyer on loop

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#20 Re: Live Music 2015
April 28, 2015, 12:52:20 pm
it was sold out months ago in 20 mins or so but spoke to my mate who runs the gigs there last night before the gig and he sorted me out.  ;D
Seen um twice in a week now.

rodma

• forum hero
#21 Re: Live Music 2015
April 28, 2015, 06:20:12 pm
You lucky lucky bastard

If only you could combine a job like demolition with one of their live shows, you'd get over one metric fucktonne done I reckon :)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#22 Re: Live Music 2015
May 21, 2015, 10:25:15 pm
Saw Steve Gunn on Monday at the Lexington.  What a great gig and thankfully a really quiet respectful audience.  If you get the chance please go see.  Just him singing with guitar, Tommy on bass and Eric on drums.  The palette they conjure is really diverse and the songcraft is amazing.

Nick Cave at the Albert Hall was suitably magnificent.  A solo performance with various members of the Bad Seeds including Warren Ellis, Martin Casey & Thomas Wydler.  It's such a great venue for this kind of concert. 

We went up to Fife for King Creosote's Yellae Deuks low-key weekend in Anstruther.  In the local village hall over three nights, it was great.  Many of the Fence artists plus Dan Lyth and the Euphrates, who's album from last year, Benthic Lines should have been in my list; Charlie Cunningham; Sorren McLean and Hannah Fisher and a fantastic full King Creosote band played to an intimate audience in this lovely little fishing village. 

Got some great live music coming up.  Aidan Moffat & Bill Wells in a couple of weeks then The GZA/Tortoise/Loop/Lightning Bolt all on one bill and Jesus & Mary Chain plus Bardo Pond on another as part of Mogwai's thing at the Roundhouse.  A two day Ben Chasny/Six Organs of Admittance thing at Cafe OTO.  The Necks at the Barbican.  GME and Dave Lamacraft are coming down for King Creoste in October.

I've been writing some songs and music with a new friend down here so they should see the light of day and maybe some play some live later this year if we can pull our finger out and get them finished and practice enough.

webbo

• forum hero
#23 Re: Live Music 2015
May 23, 2015, 08:39:43 pm
James last night at Scarborough open air theatre, brillant very atmospheric as it went dark.
A lot of dad dancing though. :2thumbsup:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#24 Re: Live Music 2015
May 24, 2015, 01:48:22 pm
Bet that was great.

Steve Gunn is playing on Leeds tonight (Sunday) at the Brudenell.  If any locals can make it, you should go.

andy popp

• forum hero
#25 Re: Live Music 2015
May 24, 2015, 04:12:14 pm
Belle and Sebastian later tonight at Liverpool Sound City. I'm not really a fan but everyone I'm going with is a huge fan.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#26 Re: Live Music 2015
May 24, 2015, 04:21:32 pm
Andy - do you want to come down for the Ben Chasny/Six Organs two day residency at Cafe OTO?  I have two tickets... 20/21st June.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#27 Re: Live Music 2015
May 24, 2015, 06:34:38 pm
Awesome day yesterday at slam dunk.
Bronx put on an awesome show. Slightly ruined by losing my phone during while she sleeps not there fault.

Next up korn for me then bad religion in august

SA Chris

• forum hero
#28 Re: Live Music 2015
August 21, 2015, 12:47:53 pm
Got Foals tickets for November! Aberdeen Music Hall, stoked it's not AECC.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#29 Re: Live Music 2015
August 21, 2015, 02:27:33 pm
I go to leds fest on thursday   :look: :look: :look:

:punk: :bounce: :punk:

Lets hope I don't lose phone number 3 at a gig this year ...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#30 Re: Live Music 2015
August 21, 2015, 03:31:00 pm
Is that just for led zeppelin fans? :)

What days you going? V97 in Leeds was my first ever UK Festival, happy memories.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#31 Re: Live Music 2015
August 24, 2015, 12:24:45 pm
full weekend thursday through to monday or sunday night if I stay sober sunday

andy popp

• forum hero
#32 Re: Live Music 2015
August 24, 2015, 08:07:57 pm
Had a great run recently

Sun Kil Moon at Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester the night before flying to states - stunning, intense set (and the bonus of Sonic Youth's Steve Shelley on drums)

Angel Olsen in Portland, Maine - a totally unexpected bonus gig. Her album was on several people's albums of 2014 lists here on UKB. Beautiful, intimate solo performance.

Iron and Wine and Ben Bridwell doing their covers stuff, Union Transfer, Philadelphia. Great, very happy gig in a great venue.

Just back from Green Man last night. Many highlights; Calexico, Malian band Songhoy Blues, seeing Television perform Marquee Moon, Viet Cong, and the return of Super Furry Animals.

Coming up I have My Morning Jacket and Low, both in Manchester, and Godspeed You Black Emperor in Liverpool. Oh, and a ticket for Sun Kil Moon in Philadelphia in October. Cannot wait for that one.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#33 Re: Live Music 2015
August 25, 2015, 01:43:42 pm
Liverpool Psychfest in September Andy?

andy popp

• forum hero
#34 Re: Live Music 2015
August 25, 2015, 04:09:48 pm
Would love to JB but have to go to Edinburgh that weekend with daughter for university open day

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#35 Re: Live Music 2015
October 16, 2015, 02:27:43 pm
If anyone's in London tomorrow with nothing to do, I'm standing in for a mate playing bass for Hijakkt (a terrible name - great poppy rock songs) at the Acklam Village, Portobello at 3pm.

*~*~*~*~*

Hijakkt is playing in Notting Hill this Saturday afternoon at 3pm…

When:  Saturday 17 October at 3pm (sharp)

Where:  Acklam Village Market
o   Great venue just off Portobello Road under the Westway
o   Sofas, easy chairs, private bar, international street food market just outside, room for 200 of our best friends
o   No cover
o   All ages welcome (including children)

It will be a full band, electric gig with special guest Ben Tye will be on bass so it should be a fantastic show.

https://www.facebook.com/Hijakkt

If you want to hear some of the tunes from the shows, please check out the links below.

https://soundcloud.com/hijakkt
www.reverbnation.com/hijakkt

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#36 Re: Live Music 2015
October 20, 2015, 12:22:07 pm
wheatus (remember teenage dirtbag?) are playing my local pub on wednesday then antiflag in sheff on thursday

chillax

• forum abuser
#37 Re: Live Music 2015
October 23, 2015, 10:34:09 am
Done shag all climbing this year due to ankle surgery and recovery, but its been a great one for gigs (mostly in a jazzy/hip-hoppy vibe). Going out with a professional musician definitely helps! All in Dublin. Don't think I've even left the country this year. Some of the better ones in no particular order...

Damien Dempsey n Vicar St just before last christmas. Pure Dublin. He has a crazily devoted fanbase, almost like a religious experience.

Gogol Bordello in the Academy, sweaty fun.

Flying Lotus in Vicar St, trippy AV show and I was still on meds after surgery. Lots of fun.

Bill Laurance in The Sugar Club, beautiful jazz-fusiony soundtracky vibes. I'm really digging his 2 albums too.

Hiatus Kaiyote in The Sugar Club, I felt like one of the cool kids.

Little Green Cars in The Workmans, warmup gig before they toured the states. Was surprised how much I enjoyed it!

The Gaslamp Killer in The Sugar Club last night. Great DJ set/electronic producer set. I'm still deaf...

andy popp

• forum hero
#38 Re: Live Music 2015
October 23, 2015, 10:50:34 pm
in a nutshell; Wed 7th, Low, Manchester Cathedrail, (). Sat 10th, Sun Kil Moon, Theatre of the Living Arts, Philadelphia (). Sun 11th, The Gloaming, Annenberg Center, Philadelphia ().

It was like some Holy fucking Trinity of gigs.

andy popp

• forum hero
#39 Re: Live Music 2015
October 23, 2015, 10:55:59 pm
That's kind of decipherable with a little care.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal