UKBouldering.com

working at heights certificates (Read 2437 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
working at heights certificates
March 03, 2015, 11:42:31 am
Hi, just a quick question for rope access types.  I have a job that might require lots of use of elevated platforms / cherry pickers (being lowered down a big stack) and the 3rd party are insisting that I have a "Working at Heights certificate" and provide my own harness. 

I have had a quick look online and prices seem to range wildly from £25 to £200 for a half-day course.  Is there an accepted minimum qualification (IWATA, RoSPA?) to look out for in this circumstance?  I'm not interested in knowing how to operate platforms and set up abseils - just being a passenger in a basket operated by a third party (something I have done many times before, in similar circumstances with no questions asked).    Any recommended providers in the Ilkley - Leeds - Bradford area?

Also, presumably, full body harnesses are mandatory in these circumstances?  I would presumably be turned away if I turned up with a sit harness and a cobbled together lanyard!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: working at heights certificates
March 03, 2015, 12:38:15 pm
Harness and lanyard for a picker should be restraint - i.e it keeps you inside the basket (not a scaffolder's fall arrest lanyard clipped to the handrail). It would normally be a full-body harness.

There is no standard course. Normally it would be bundled in with picker training.

Any cheap full-body harness and restraint lanyard will do you - £50 max.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#2 Re: working at heights certificates
March 03, 2015, 01:31:32 pm
Cheers for that.  At the moment, it looks like the operators of the picker will not offer us any training (their Principals are not inclined to be co-operative), and my fear is that they refuse to accept whatever certificate we obtain.  Might be best to insist that they specify any qualifications they deem necessary.  Any recommended suppliers of training (or cheap harnesses for that matter) in West Yorkshire?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#3 Re: working at heights certificates
March 03, 2015, 05:16:03 pm
The operator of the picker won't offer you any training. Who is the weak link insisting you have training? Find out off them exactly what they mean and just do the cheapest one. I'll look through my stuff, I did picker training in Leeds

a dense loner

• forum hero
#4 Re: working at heights certificates
March 03, 2015, 05:21:28 pm
Nationwide Platforms, Leeds. They have courses for passengers as well apparently. That should be all you need if you're not operating the picker

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#5 Re: working at heights certificates
March 03, 2015, 05:31:04 pm
Cheers for that.  From what I can gather, the people who have arranged the picker, are just being difficult - perhaps feel I'd be to their benefit if we didn't have access to it, but can't justifiably deny us its use, so are just trying to make life difficult.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: working at heights certificates
March 03, 2015, 06:11:10 pm
Cheers for that.  From what I can gather, the people who have arranged the picker, are just being difficult - perhaps feel I'd be to their benefit if we didn't have access to it, but can't justifiably deny us its use, so are just trying to make life difficult.

Maybe get one of them to go up with a video camera - several times - until they get it right/or decide its actually more bother to send their own people up than let you use it without the hassle?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 Re: working at heights certificates
March 03, 2015, 06:30:24 pm
Lee's plan sounds good. I can't blame them tbh, there are a lot of morons on construction sites and I'd want to know my arse was covered.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#8 Re: working at heights certificates
March 03, 2015, 06:47:07 pm
Standard procedure like jb says, basic course would be how to put a fall arrest  harness on and what different types of lanyards are, difference between fast arrest/restraint, do and don't etc. If it's just the two of you would also need to know how to get the thing down if the driver becomes incapacitated (or an emergency procedure) lone working is not brilliant. This can seem a bit over the top but hse have been pressing this for years and companies will want everything in place.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal