UKBouldering.com

Use of pegs in British climbing - BMC position statement (Read 3458 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
www.thebmc.co.uk/use-of-pegs-in-british-climbing--bmc-position-statement

In situ pitons (pegs) can be found on many sea cliffs and inland crags in the British Isles. In most cases pegs have been used to provide protection on rock with limited natural protection and where bolts have not been an acceptable option. Avon Gorge, Wintours Leap, Pembroke, North Devon & Cornwall and Gogarth are examples of venues where pegs are common. This article provides an update on the BMC's position on pegs in British climbing as agreed by National Council on 6 December 2014.

In December 2008 an article was published on the BMC website comparing the merits of different peg types and providing guidance on their use: Is there a future for pegs in British climbing?

The view of the BMC Technical Committee at the time was that:

‘…pegs should be considered as leader placed protection in the same way as nuts and cams.  In other words, only the person placing the peg can have any real idea about how much security it provides.  Obviously this relies on individual experience and judgement to have any great accuracy.  Pegs should not be relied upon for semi-permanent placements because of their inherent unreliability and variability.’

BMC position

a. In general climbers should be suspicious about the holding power of in-situ pegs.  Pegs are not bolts, and they cannot be relied upon as such.  Pegs on sea cliffs should be treated with even more suspicion than those on inland crags; salt water corrosion has a detrimental effect on most peg types.

b. The decision to clip a peg is down to the personal judgement of the individual climber; individuals must take personal responsibility for their own safety and make a case-by-case assessment of the quality of a peg before placing trust in it.

c. The holding power of a peg is determined by the quality of rock in which it is placed, the position and angle of the placement, the way the peg is placed (and the experience of the person who placed it) and the type of peg used (some pegs being stronger than others).  Pegs in horizontal placements (i.e. horizontal cracks) are generally, but not always, stronger than those in vertical placements.  Pegs placed in loose, soft, unstable or expanding rock will generally have lower holding power than those placed in harder rock types or on solid / stable cliffs.

d. The strongest pegs are those made of hard cast, stainless or chrome-molybdenum steel; soft steel pegs generally perform poorly in test pulls compared to hard steel varieties.  It is advised that climbers attempt to gain knowledge of any pegs on a route before attempting the route.  If a route is particularly reliant upon a peg(s) pre-inspection of the peg(s) may be advisable before attempting the route.  Those not wishing to pre-inspect a peg(s) should approach the route on the basis that fixed gear may not be reliable and the route may be more dangerous than implied by the grade and description.

e. Those placing new pegs for the first ascents of new routes are encouraged to be open, honest and explicit about the fixed protection used and its importance in protecting the route.  This is especially important on sea cliffs where pegs corrode at a faster rate.  In general the BMC would advise that new routes on sea cliffs should be established without pegs so that future ascentionists are not faced with an unfairly greater risk due to peg deterioration. 

f. When compiling and editing route descriptions guidebook writers and contributors should be mindful of the limitations of pegs and the reliance that climbers may place upon them.

Agreed by BMC National Council, 6 December 2014

Teaboy

• forum hero
Disappointed they didn't just say no new pegs on new routes.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Disappointed they didn't just say no new pegs on new routes.

That would be too dictatorial and would also outside of the BMC remit as a representative rather than governing body for climbers

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I like pegs. Statement seems fair to me.

Teaboy

• forum hero
Actually what I meant to write was no pegs on sea cliff new routes but as othe rpeople have already replied it'd be disingenuous to edit my original post.

I like pegs. Statement seems fair to me.

Me too, which is why I hate questing up to the sanctuary of crucial peg only to find a rusty stump.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
What Fiend said.

I didn't particularly like the research done a few years ago in the BMC's name, which seemed to conclude that because some pegs are bad we shouldn't use them. It seemed dangerously like a step towards the argument that fixed gear is fixed gear, so let's replace them all with bolts.

petejh

• forum hero
I don't think conflating concerns over retro-bolting with the seperate issue of pegs helps the debate. First of all there should be a debate about pegs. Without the fear-mongering / straw man distraction of retro-bolting.

Bolts may or may/not be part of a proposed 'answer' in some areas, but that's a seperate debate.

There are clear and generally agreed upon guidelines/consensus regarding:
Drytooling
Bolting (sometimes/often ignored..)
Winter ethics in Wales and the lakes
Bouldering etiquette/impact
Access

One of the biggest issues in British climbing is the widespread phenomenon of rotting pegs - yet no real debate or consensus about their use seems to have been 'hammered out'. This is apparent when climbers think that it's still OK to litter sea cliffs with pegs when they feel a need to bump up their profile - Chicama etc. - while many others feel this is big-time bullshit.

The issue is more relevent a little lower down the grade scale. So many E5s, 6s etc. that rely on old pegs for their grade.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I didn't particularly like the research done a few years ago in the BMC's name, which seemed to conclude that because some pegs are bad we shouldn't use them. It seemed dangerously like a step towards the argument that fixed gear is fixed gear, so let's replace them all with bolts.

The one written by the chap who manufactures bolts for a living and is brother of the BMC president? He seems to know his engineering onions but if you ask an engineer you will get the solution an engineer would deem optimum. This isn't just an engineering issue.

I think the statement is good. The BMC couldn't use the exact phrase "Don't fix pegs in sea cliff new routes, this is either stupid or selfish" but that's what they are saying in so many words.

In general the BMC would advise that new routes on sea cliffs should be established without pegs so that future ascentionists are not faced with an unfairly greater risk due to peg deterioration. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal