UKBouldering.com

Colorado beta (Read 7008 times)

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
Colorado beta
February 20, 2015, 02:28:52 pm
Hopefully heading to Colorado for 2 weeks, end of May beginning of June.

Anyone got any beta on the best area to stay (Estes Park?), I think that at that time of year it will be between being too warm lower and too cold higher up, so somewhere to give us plenty of options would be good?  Ideally would like an apartment with kitchen facilities.  Will probably be mainly bouldering (hopefully flying two mats out as checked luggage see separate thread), but also tempted to try and pack a sport (and possibly trad rack).

All info/tips welcomed!

andy_e

• forum hero

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Colorado beta
February 20, 2015, 02:45:36 pm
Hi Andy, I am in fact also going on the back of a conference but in Arizona (IMS) my work are letting be fly in/out of Denver (with an internal flight to/from Phoenix).  My girlfriend will be joining me after the conference, hopefully with two bouldering mats...

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#3 Re: Colorado beta
February 20, 2015, 02:58:28 pm
Hopefully heading to Colorado for 2 weeks, end of May beginning of June.

Anyone got any beta on the best area to stay (Estes Park?), I think that at that time of year it will be between being too warm lower and too cold higher up, so somewhere to give us plenty of options would be good?  Ideally would like an apartment with kitchen facilities.  Will probably be mainly bouldering (hopefully flying two mats out as checked luggage see separate thread), but also tempted to try and pack a sport (and possibly trad rack).

All info/tips welcomed!

Do you mean colorado springs? If so I'd say down by the Old Town.  Make sure you head up to Ute Pass and Rampart Road Range although the later was properly highball (pre mats, with mats probably fine)

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Colorado beta
February 20, 2015, 03:00:29 pm
At the moment I have the choice of anywhere, though am flying in/out of Denver.  So was thinking of the Front Range/RMNP area weather dependent.

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: Colorado beta
February 20, 2015, 03:16:06 pm
I met a lad named Max who lives out in Boulder whilst I was in Chironico last autumn. He seemed keen to hook up so need to give him a shout. He suggested RMNP would be in great condition. I said I was keen for Lincoln Lake but he said it's good but not great. I doubt I'll be able to take a pad though so having someone to hook up with would be handy  :2thumbsup:

What dates are you going out? I haven't actually booked any flights yet. My conference is from 31st May to 3rd June.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Colorado beta
February 20, 2015, 03:28:18 pm
Will be climbing from the end of my conference ~22nd May (when my partner will be flying out) to the 6th June, will keep in touch, happy to hook up if that proves convenient.  Am also considering buying some some organic pad/s and shipping them back or just renting.

blamo

• addict
#7 Re: Colorado beta
February 20, 2015, 04:04:45 pm
If the weather is too cold in RMNP you can always go to Carter Lake or Horsetooth.  You might look for cabin rentals if you are going to stay in Estes Park. 

If you can get your hands on Emerson's guidebook for RMNP or Benningfield and Samet's book for the Front Range that might help.  There is a TON of rock you can climb in all seasons.  Have fun!  :)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#8 Re: Colorado beta
February 20, 2015, 04:19:24 pm
There is a TON of rock you can climb in all seasons.

So, one small boulder?  ;)

blamo

• addict
#9 Re: Colorado beta
February 20, 2015, 05:26:47 pm
Well played!  :clap2:

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Colorado beta
February 24, 2015, 04:11:01 pm
That time of year can indeed be tricky Sidewinder. The lower elevation bouldering (Horsetooth, Carter Lake, Flagstaff) will be too hot. The alpine will likely be quite snowy. Best options are around 8,000 ft elevation: Poudre Canyon, Moraine Park and Endo Valley (both near Estes Park) should be in good nick.

Staying in Estes makes good sense, lots of roped climbing there and it's gorgeous. Probably best to rent a cabin, should be many available up there.

I have pads and guidebooks you can borrow, I live in Fort Collins so not too far out of your way.  I'm unfortunately retired from climbing now due to injuries, would be good for the pads to get out. They complain bitterly about being stuck in my basement  ;D

Hope that helps!

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Colorado beta
February 24, 2015, 04:58:15 pm
That is great Blunk, I will look into booking flights, a car and accommodation (in Estes Park) and get back to you via email regarding borrowing mats/guides, will be good to also be able to pack the ropes and rack and sample some of the routes.  Sorry to here you are retired from climbing!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#12 Re: Colorado beta
February 24, 2015, 05:11:11 pm
Given the current levels of snowpack in RMNP (folks were up bouldering at Emerald Lake a week or two ago), I'd agree with Scott that Estes is a good bet.  You can easily head up or down to find the right conditions, regardless of how much snow happens between now and then.  Moraine Park, Endo valley, and Elkland are all under 30 minute drive from there, and pretty short hike.  Big drawback in guides though.  Jamie's bouldering guide has Moraine park, but I don't know of any guides for Endo Valley or Elkland. 

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Colorado beta
February 24, 2015, 05:57:17 pm
I have pads and guidebooks you can borrow, I live in Fort Collins so not too far out of your way.  I'm unfortunately retired from climbing now due to injuries, would be good for the pads to get out. They complain bitterly about being stuck in my basement  ;D

Hope that helps!

Sorry to hear you've retired Blunk :(

a dense loner

• forum hero
#14 Re: Colorado beta
February 24, 2015, 06:01:05 pm
 +1 :(

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Colorado beta
February 24, 2015, 06:16:42 pm
Big drawback in guides though.  Jamie's bouldering guide has Moraine park, but I don't know of any guides for Endo Valley or Elkland.
Seems there is some info on these crags around the web, perhaps at least enough to get us there if necessary.  Got the Front Range guide already (pre trip excitement buying), happy to buy any guides Scott can't lend me.  As long as there are at least a couple of crags in nick I don't think we will be running out of stuff to do within 2 weeks!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#16 Re: Colorado beta
February 24, 2015, 07:41:53 pm
With a touch of looking, you may be able to find someone to give you a tour, which could make a big difference. 

andy popp

• forum hero
#17 Re: Colorado beta
February 24, 2015, 09:16:41 pm
I'm unfortunately retired from climbing now due to injuries, would be good for the pads to get out. They complain bitterly about being stuck in my basement  ;D

Really sorry to hear you're retired Blunk. Hope there might be a comeback one day.

Blunk

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: Colorado beta
February 25, 2015, 12:47:20 am
Thanks for the sympathy guys. I had 41 great years, can't complain a bit. Just got sick of being in constant pain. Fortunately I can still hike and backpack  ;D

Best of luck out there!

andy popp

• forum hero
#19 Re: Colorado beta
February 25, 2015, 07:49:13 am
I suppose 41 years isn't a bad innings. I'm coming up on 36. And I like to think that the being outside is just as important as the actual climbing. Enjoy the hiking!

andy_e

• forum hero
#20 Re: Colorado beta
April 16, 2015, 05:31:18 pm
Just (finally) found out today that there is funding to send me to Denver. What are your movements sidewinder?

andy_e

• forum hero
#21 Re: Colorado beta
April 22, 2015, 11:00:17 am
Anyone got any car hire beta? Do I need to splash out on an SUV?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#22 Re: Colorado beta
April 22, 2015, 11:13:55 am
Where you planning heading to? AFAIK all roads in RMNP are good tar, get a cheapo if it's just you on your tod and you aren't planning covering any big distances. Unless you want to hire a SUV!

andy_e

• forum hero
#23 Re: Colorado beta
April 22, 2015, 11:26:07 am
Cheers, not sure on any of those points yet! I'd ideally like to get into the spirit of things and hire a massive pick-up  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#24 Re: Colorado beta
April 22, 2015, 11:31:28 am
Last US trip we book a sub-comact and got a free upgrade to an SUV.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#25 Re: Colorado beta
April 22, 2015, 03:44:19 pm
Don't let doylo see you posting stuff like that Chris  :-*

tomtom

• forum hero
#26 Re: Colorado beta
April 22, 2015, 08:46:53 pm

Last US trip we book a sub-comact and got a free upgrade to an SUV.

Ditto. Anyway. A hire car goes where no other car can..

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: Colorado beta
April 25, 2015, 02:24:51 pm
Just (finally) found out today that there is funding to send me to Denver. What are your movements sidewinder?
We will be in Estes Park from the 23rd May to the 6th June with a car and hopefully kit for bouldering trad and sport. Not sure of plans beyond that. Currently finalising wedding plans which are having to take precedent over trip plans.

andy_e

• forum hero
#28 Re: Colorado beta
June 07, 2015, 01:03:08 pm
Here's a tip for future reference, which I unfortunately learned too late: if your colleague suggests dropping you off at Mount Sanitas whilst they go sport climbing, don't do it. I think it's one of the shittest bouldering venues I've ever visited, with dodgy landings, thousands of American hikers and nothing of worth above V1. In fact, nothing of worth below V1 either. The only decent problems I found had terrible rocky landings which was not inspiring on my own. I only put my boots on once and even then only had a few goes on a shitty painful V6 (the hardest climb there). Honestly, I'd rather have the Wilton 2 lowballs any day over that place, even if the shooting club is in there! Massive waste of a sunny day in the Rockies. Gutted.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal