#25 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 06:03:07 pm
Ok, it seems:
around £5 only gets you 500-800 lumens.
around £10 gets you 1800-2000 lumens.
£15 gets you 4000-5000
£20 = 6000
etc

I guess there's a limit to the amount you need when using a headtorch for climbing a rock right in front of your face.  Not sure the greedy chub I caught the other night was happy to have 1800 shone at it from 2ft while I tried to disgorge the hook from deep in it's mouth.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#26 Re: Headtorches
February 18, 2015, 10:59:27 pm
Ok, it seems:
around £5 only gets you 500-800 lumens.
around £10 gets you 1800-2000 lumens.
£15 gets you 4000-5000
£20 = 6000
etc

I guess there's a limit to the amount you need when using a headtorch for climbing a rock right in front of your face.  Not sure the greedy chub I caught the other night was happy to have 1800 shone at it from 2ft while I tried to disgorge the hook from deep in it's mouth.

Just bear in mind those numbers are very very Chinese. False advertising isn't a real thing there yet presumably?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#27 Re: Headtorches
February 19, 2015, 08:28:35 am
That's the great thing about the Nao - automatic dimming when you look at a map. Or a chub.

galpinos

• forum hero
#28 Re: Headtorches
February 19, 2015, 10:00:50 am
That's the great thing about the Nao - automatic dimming when you look at a map. Or a chub.

I’d read mixed reports on the auto dimming of the Nao, from “it’s excellent” to “it really pisses me off”.

So, is it good when nav-ing in the dark (I’m thinking running), say descending (ab-ing) at night and have you tried it when it’s raining/snowing? I thought the rain/snow falling might make it dim when it shouldn’t.

Any thoughts?

tomtom

• forum hero
#29 Re: Headtorches
February 19, 2015, 10:12:21 am

Yup - but for £100 vs £10 I could live without auto dimming...

psychomansam

• forum hero
#30 Re: Headtorches
February 19, 2015, 10:24:52 am

I’d read mixed reports on the auto dimming of the Nao, from “it’s excellent” to “it really pisses me off”.

So, is it good when nav-ing in the dark (I’m thinking running), say descending (ab-ing) at night and have you tried it when it’s raining/snowing? I thought the rain/snow falling might make it dim when it shouldn’t.

Any thoughts?

I also hear slightly mixed reports though I know a couple of fell runners who are happy enough with them. When I was shopping in this budgets range, I decided against the Nao since the Zebralight linked above is:

roughly the same price or cheaper
twice as powerful
simpler design with less to go wrong
uses the same (18650) battery but without a proprietary bit of plastic around it, meaning that:
A) the torch is more compact
B) spare batteries cost a quarter of the price
C) you can purchase higher capacity/quality batteries as the tech arrives

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#31 Re: Headtorches
February 19, 2015, 11:58:27 am

Yup - but for £100 vs £10 I could live without auto dimming...

My Cree has manual dimming, fucking bright, stupidly bright, bright. And strobelight. STROOBELIIGHT!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#32 Re: Headtorches
February 19, 2015, 01:50:14 pm
Most of the time it just seems to work. When running in snow or chuffing hard it occasionally dims due to stuff floating past the sensor, but it's more a reminder that it works than a bother.

I made the mistake of plugging into the management software which gave a frankly baffling variety of options. The basic switch always gives you the simple choice of high, low, or 'active' though, what you can change is where each of those is pegged.

Like I said, I get them cheap though.

horn

• regular
#33 Re: Headtorches
February 19, 2015, 05:33:09 pm

Any thoughts?

Absolutely love the Nao - the auto dimming is really useful, previously I was constntly jabbing at the button to cycle through the power outputs which is pretty bloody hard with a Myo XP and ludicrously fat fingers. Yes it does get triggered by heavy snow and heavy breathing in cold air, but I don't find this a problem - without dimming the glare would dazzle you, and it helps with getting a useful battery life out of it. You can manually over-ride the dim setting, but you'll only get an hour and a half on full power like that. With the dimming I get about 6 or 7 hours on max.
They are really bloody expensive at full price though (I get them cheap too)

Tikka RXP is also really good, a lot more compact, not quite as bright, still pretty pricey.

USB rechargeable lithium batteries are ace if you're out a lot. I've saved a small fortune in batteries since getting the nao (reckon i would have spent close to £100 on AAs over the winter if I'd kept using my MYO).

Cheapo option for Will would be a fairly dim headtorch to wear while climbing (really doesn't matter that much whether you get a Petzl Tikka/Black Diamond Spot/Alpkit, you don't need it too bright to illuminate the rock in front of you, and if it's dim the battery will last ages - constant output is well worth having though) plus a CREE or whatever rechargable spotlight/bikelight/headtorch thing off ebay that you can leave on the ground and point at the crag. We've had some good trad sessions at Electric Quarry with a couple of 1600 lumen bikelights tied to the fence.

Luthor

• menacing presence
#34 Re: Headtorches
February 20, 2015, 09:37:34 am
All my night runs have been done with an LED Lenser, which I have found very good.

Another vote for the LED Lenser. The H7R is significantly brighter than the Alpkit torch I used before. About 35/40 quid for the rechargeable model and has adjustable brightness and beam. Most of the people I run with have switched to these now.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#35 Re: Headtorches
February 20, 2015, 12:13:29 pm
Andyd had a Cree at Caley the other night. Fuck me, it was brighter than the sun. Used that as a ground lamp at times whilst wearing a dimmer headtorch.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#36 Re: Headtorches
August 18, 2016, 07:12:46 am
Was reading the IT bargains thread, which took me to Amazon where I noticed the Cree headteacher sitting in my basket had drastically dropped in price.

Stock up now before winter returns.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00SFCLIK6?vs=1

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#37 Re: Headtorches
August 18, 2016, 08:14:05 am
Holy crap, does she do domination? ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#38 Re: Headtorches
August 18, 2016, 08:24:00 am
The cheapest has a high p+p charge (£6?) with only. 90% seller rating (shipped from China). For prime members there is the same for £10.60 shipped from uk etc...

tomtom

• forum hero
#39 Re: Headtorches
August 18, 2016, 08:24:17 am
Great spot btw Mike. [emoji106]

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#40 Re: Headtorches
August 18, 2016, 11:06:34 am
That's a hell of an auto correct!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal