UKBouldering.com

Down Jacket Repairs (Rips) (Read 9868 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 04, 2016, 09:38:53 am
I managed to catch my RAB Microlight on a fence recently and ripped the pocket open from the outside (just the stitching, which is sewable). I also tore a sizeable hole 8cm square in the actual fabric beneath the pocket which means feathers flew everywhere.

Whilst it might be repairable with the ever-brilliant duck tape, I think it might be best to get it done properly as I'd no doubt do a crap job overall.

Has anyone got a jacket repaired professionally? If so, any recommendations of where I should contact?

dave

#1 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 04, 2016, 09:48:43 am
Send it to Rab?

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 04, 2016, 09:49:33 am
Dolly recommended somewhere in Sheff to me yesterday but I've forgotten. Maybe drop him a DM if he doesn't pick up on this?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 04, 2016, 09:59:08 am
I had my Rab repaired by Rab / Equip Technologies themselves.  Options were a fabric repair, which is fairly neat, or the cheaper option was having a Rab patch sewn on.

When looking for a zip replacement there were two other companies I found, one in Scotland and the other in the North East I think.  Didn't use either as Equip are Peak based and costs were abouth the same. Think they're in Tideswell so if you're local it could be as cheap to drop it off as post it.

Dolly

• forum hero
#4 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 04, 2016, 10:00:30 am
It was Franklins but it looks like they went under a few years ago and their business has been taken over by
http://www.elitecleaningandaftercare.co.uk/

Careful though-  they're in Rotherham  :)

dave

#5 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 04, 2016, 10:04:56 am
It was Franklins but it looks like they went under a few years ago and their business has been taken over by
http://www.elitecleaningandaftercare.co.uk/

Careful though-  they're in Rotherham  :)

Nice one Dolly - Franklins was about 100yards from my house but thought they had just disappeared completely. I had my down jacket cleaned by them about 6 months before they shut and it came back as good as new, amazing really. Basically like buying a brand new jacket for £25. Glad to hear someone is still doing it.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 04, 2016, 10:30:51 am
I can strongly recommend this chap for zip repair/replacement and washing down. Cumbria based or will happily chat through the options over the phone.

Spinnaker tape is the best DIY fix for tears. Dirt-bags never wear micro down jackets and further loss of credibility through not using duct tape is trivial in comparison.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 04, 2016, 10:56:18 am
Second sending it to Rab, I've had a zip repaired on an old smock by them and a Pertex Microlight down jacket repaired too when I put a hole in the sleeve.  The later was repaired by stitching a new panel around the affected baffle of down, very well done and only just noticeable in the picture below.  Its the second full baffle you can see, second and third lines of stitching from the bottom, the bottom is original stitching....

When I had these done the repair place was in Somercoates (handily for me my brother works just down the road so dropped it off and collected, saving me postage).  The Rab site has a form for repairs.

dave

#8 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 04, 2016, 11:11:40 am
The later was repaired by stitching a new panel around the affected baffle of down, very well done and only just noticeable in the picture below.

They did one of them for Cofe, but left his gaffertape emergency repair underneath.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 04, 2016, 11:12:11 am
 :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 04, 2016, 11:42:28 am
:D

a13c

• regular
#11 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 05, 2016, 04:37:17 pm
Rab fixed a rip in my wives microlight jacket by replacing the panel. The jacket was good as new for 25 squid i think. (I think it was a tenner for them to just patch it.)They also replaced a zip on a ten year old jacket of mine for free. Speak to rab, they'll sort you out!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

SamT

• forum hero
#12 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 28, 2016, 07:31:48 pm

Been meaning to post this for a while.

One step up from gaffa, but obv not as good as sending it away to a manufacturer for repair..this stuff from go outdoors has been very impressive.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mcnett-gear-aid-tenacious-tape-p107605

Its clear so colour not particularly a problem on that front and it sticks incredibly well.  The shot below with the red hood was on my lads coat and it was quite a big burn hole from last years bonfire night. I patched with some of the usual (not very sticky) tent repair patch stuff to cover the hole, but then put tenacoius tape over the top.  Its been bombproof i.e. not peeled in over a year at all and isn't that noticeable.

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 28, 2016, 10:16:06 pm
I've used this on my alpkot jacket and it lasted about a year.. I also used it on a rip on some fabric walking boots. There it was more impressive lasting a few months - good considering the treatment footwear gets....

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#14 Re: Down Jacket Repairs (Rips)
November 29, 2016, 09:38:49 am
both my down jackets have multiple gaffer tape repairs that have lasted years plus been through the washing machine on more than one occasion.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal