UKBouldering.com

Parler attack (Read 2125 times)

mark s

• junky
Parler attack
January 12, 2021, 07:32:53 am
What's the hack that's happened to parler? I've never looked at the site so don't know how it runs.
Seen on twitter that someone has downloaded all the info on there. Does that mean they can delete everything?
Also saw something about putting a random number after the Web page and you could get into private accounts. Not sure if I read that bit right.
Anyway doesn't sound good for the home for racists

andy popp

• forum hero
#1 Re: Parler attack
January 12, 2021, 07:40:13 am
As I understand it, someone managed to hack it, installed themselves as moderators, and downloaded and archived the entire contents of the site, including many elements directly identifying participants. This is going to make it impossible for any user to scrub their online lives, something many who took part last Wednesday have been actively trying to do subsequently.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#2 Re: Parler attack
January 12, 2021, 08:47:00 am
Well, technically it was barely a hack. Parler has a badly designed public API (Application Protocol Interface), and https://twitter.com/donk_enby just grabbed everything that was publicly available on Parler's database through their API. Deleted post on Parler are not deleted from the database – they are just marked as hidden (this is completely normal by the way: how else would drive.google be able to recover files that you have "deleted" for 30 days after).  Alas, for users of Parler, the deleted posts are available through the API (criminal oversight).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3 Re: Parler attack
January 12, 2021, 08:52:36 am
This really is, either, the most stunningly incompetent facist uprising and insurrection in history, or a very well planned set up.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Parler attack
January 12, 2021, 12:41:43 pm
Well, as they're apparently saying in Latin America: the right wing coup in Washington DC failed because there's no US embassy there to organise and coordinate it.

andy popp

• forum hero
#5 Re: Parler attack
January 12, 2021, 12:54:20 pm
"Due to current travel restrictions, the US has decided to organise this year's coups at home."

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Parler attack
January 12, 2021, 04:35:41 pm
the right wing coup in Washington ...

It’s only a coup if it’s from the Coup D’Etat region of France. Anywhere else is sparkling white terrorism.

tomtom

• forum hero

Teaboy

• forum hero
#8 Re: Parler attack
January 12, 2021, 07:34:33 pm
The thing I can’t get my head around is how they downloaded 7TB across a public network, surely they’d have to build the infrastructure they were copying to in the location (I.e. the same cloud provider) and then create a connection to it so it’s not just the DB that’s insecure but the underlying platform must be virtually unprotected.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal