UKBouldering.com

Home security (Read 2891 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Home security
February 02, 2015, 08:38:30 pm
It's occurred to me recently that as there is no gate on our (wide-open) drive it might be an idea to install cameras to deter the curious.

CCTV is all well and good, but does anyone have any advice/experience of what is good to install?

Firstly- it has to work ie good quality image, backed up to storage. Secondly cost, the lower the better (respecting proviso 1).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 Re: Home security
February 02, 2015, 09:37:28 pm
Haven't used one at home (yet) but have had dealings with lots at work. Classic example of you get what you pay for. More expensive = high resolution, longer record times. Unless you have a PC/server running permanently you probably want a stand alone system. Maplin/Argos etc have lots...Samsung looks nice...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/samsung-professional-500gb-4-channel-cctv-kit-with-4-bullet-cameras-n51cd#tab_reviews

If you do want to go down the route of using a PC or home server as the recorder, Milestone is the software you need. There's a free version for up to 8 cameras/5 days, but it does need a pretty good PC/server to record multiple HD cameras.
http://www.milestonesys.com/xprotectgo
However you can easily spend several hundred on one external IP camera, so the all in one systems do look good value.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Home security
February 02, 2015, 09:45:51 pm
If its deterrent - why not a dummy camera replete with flashing LED?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3 Re: Home security
February 02, 2015, 09:53:22 pm
I also want to be able to see what is going on when I'm not there/identify anyone who might go on to the property.

And deterrent..I bet some thieves are adept at recognising dummies.

Thanks Obi-Wan, I was browsing Maplin, might pay them a visit on Saturday then.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#4 Re: Home security
February 02, 2015, 10:21:22 pm
If its deterrent - why not a dummy camera replete with flashing LED?
Been told by cops in the past that most scrotes can (not surprisingly) spot one of those a mile off. Don't think many modern cameras have flashing LEDs whilst live.

webbo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Home security
February 03, 2015, 10:27:35 am
We had a dummy camera at work, someone knicked it.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#6 Re: Home security
February 03, 2015, 10:52:27 am
It's occurred to me recently that as there is no gate on our (wide-open) drive it might be an idea to install cameras to deter the curious.

CCTV is all well and good, but does anyone have any advice/experience of what is good to install?

Firstly- it has to work ie good quality image, backed up to storage. Secondly cost, the lower the better (respecting proviso 1).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Yes, don't be so paranoid, unless you live in an area with a very high rate of 'damage' burglary i.e. rather than walk in burglary the chances of CCTV being either a significant deterent or providing the evidence for conviction are very low indeed.

You're much better of just makign sure your doors and windows are shut when you go out.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Home security
February 03, 2015, 11:06:34 am
or get a large unfriendly dog... ;)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#8 Re: Home security
February 03, 2015, 11:21:48 am
4m wall, razor wire, some fuck off big cannons, a moat perhaps (with piranhas)...  :boxing:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#9 Re: Home security
February 03, 2015, 11:35:21 am
or establish your reputation as a psycho nutter criminal . . . 15 years in a disruptive prisioner unit  :weakbench: and some shit facial tats should do it

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Home security
February 03, 2015, 03:46:32 pm
or establish your reputation as a psycho nutter criminal . . . 15 years in a disruptive prisioner unit  :weakbench: and some shit facial tats should do it

ah, tried that. Just makes you a target - people think they're harder than you...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal