UKBouldering.com

Cyprus - any bouldering? (Read 7250 times)

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Cyprus - any bouldering?
January 26, 2015, 10:20:04 am
As per the headline, I have a month in Cyprus in June and want to boulder when I'm there.  I going to be just outside Larnaca and will be taking the mountain bike to but wanted to see if there was any spots people can recommend or guides or maps of good areas?  I'll have use of a car occasionally and may even hire something... any intel ?  I see there's a bit of sport and trad but want to boulder as I dont want to let partners down with my crazy diary.  :)

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Cyprus - any bouldering?
January 26, 2015, 10:23:45 am
I'm pretty sure I read about some DWS close to Ayia Napa... Seems like the weather would be good for that!

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Cyprus - any bouldering?
January 26, 2015, 10:42:41 am
oooh theres an idea, always fancied giving that a go.

WilliCrater

#3 Re: Cyprus - any bouldering?
February 07, 2015, 02:31:01 pm
Most of the bouldering is around sea level and fully in the sun, so it will be rather hot, unless you start really early and plan to give up by around 9-ish.

If you are really keen then Cavo Greko (near Agia Napa) around 30 mins drive from Larnaca) has a bunch of trad crags which you can boulder out the harder starts:

http://www.cyprusrocks.eu/crag_area.php?area_name=Cavo%20Greko&area_id=1&area_pic_id=15

There are lots of boulders around Happy Valley east of Limassol (about an hour from Larnaca) with a  few dozen problems, mostly easy in the V0/V1 range, but with a small number of harder problems up to around V5/6. These haven't been documented yet, but are in this area:

http://www.cyprusrocks.eu/crag_detail.php?crag_name=Agios%20Georgios

I might get around to producing a topo before June, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Really though, you'd be better off meeting up with a local and doing some sport as at least you can find something shady.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:48:11 pm by WilliCrater »

WilliCrater

#4 Re: Cyprus - any bouldering?
February 07, 2015, 02:32:09 pm
The DWS is pretty limited and pretty shite btw.

WilliCrater

#5 Re: Cyprus - any bouldering?
February 15, 2017, 08:06:37 am
I know it's a bit late in the day for the OP's visit, there is now, for future reference, a nascent online bouldering guide for Cyprus at: www.cyprusrocks.eu/bouldering.php

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Cyprus - any bouldering?
February 16, 2017, 03:32:36 pm
holy thread resurrection batman!

I did some exploring when I was there in the foothills above the beaches on the south coast and found some old quarries to 'play' in and a line of 15 foot crags that I guess could have potential but didn't have time to develop anything myself.  As my wife is from Cyprus we will be going back regularly so I will definitely have a look at the link, cheers fella.

WilliCrater

#7 Re: Cyprus - any bouldering?
February 19, 2017, 05:51:48 am
Did you just call me a fatman?  Ah no - just a smudge on the screen.  Next time you are over drop me a message if you fancy a climb.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Cyprus - any bouldering?
February 20, 2017, 10:00:47 am
That overhang at limnitis looks amazing.

WilliCrater

#9 Re: Cyprus - any bouldering?
February 21, 2017, 06:00:55 am
That overhang at limnitis looks amazing.

Yes - not bad is it.  A well known climber was over a year or so ago and had a few goes at the easiest looking problem on it - and made it look suitably hard.  Mind you I think this is pretty good too (German shepherd pooch in foreground to give idea of scale):

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal