the shizzle > equipment

Good harness choice

(1/6) > >>

SEDur:
Hi all.
Before I blow a ton on some slinky Canadian gusset floss, can anyone recommend a good quality harness that will last me a decent amount of time I.e. 5+ years.

I am happy to spend out for something like the arc teryx jobbys, but wanted to ask the experienced and knowledgeable amongst you if there are any better suggestions for less money.

I will mostly be sport climbing, though may commit to trad eventually.
The two harnesses I currently have are too big, and I don't fancy self-castration.
Cheers

ghisino:
I've had a good experience with a cassin laser lately. Comfy for my proportions and relatively durable

Mammut and edelrid have plastic-reinforced tie in point which should maje them last longer.

Arcteryx have bas press durability wise.

As for comfort you really need to try them out, each brand fits different morphotypes, ie german brands seem to ne built for tall skinny types, the aforementioned cassin is on the opposite end of the spectrum and BD seems to ne in the middle, etc...

TobyD:
Petzl Hirundos is great for sport, or trad with a small rack. Inexpensive, comfortable, light etc. BD last ages and always seem good. I haven't really liked the arcteryx harnesses i've tried, or certainly no more than an average £60 harness anyway, and would never pay out 100 plus for one.

Will Hunt:
Interesting question. Is it reasonable to expect a 'high performance', i.e. lightweight, harness to stand up to 5+ years of sport climbing? Current thinking is that less but more thoughtfully used padding = more comfort (I have a reasonably light Edelrid Atmosphere that seems to prove this).

The Atmosphere has a plastic cover over the bottom rope loop which presumably reduces wear on the important fabric bit underneath. Can't be a bad thing  :shrug:  I have heard that the plastic sheath snaps easily but it hasn't done so on me so far.

Muenchener:
Harnesses. Tricky one, given that people only buy one every few years so almost nobody has any real basis of experience to compare theirs with whatever else is on the market.

--- Quote from: ghisino on January 13, 2015, 11:33:35 pm ---Mammut ... have plastic-reinforced tie in point which should make them last longer.

--- End quote ---

That said, I've had a Mammut Togir for a couple of years and am very happy with it. Comfy, reasonably light and unobtrusive for sport climbing but have managed to cram a Gogarth rack onto it. Good colour too.

Not totally sure of the value of the plastic bit. Mine is showing signs of wear on the upper tie-in point, which just has the normal fabric covering. Nowhere near worn out yet, but visibly not new any more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version