UKBouldering.com

WTD: Car ~£1500 (Read 5730 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
WTD: Car ~£1500
January 10, 2015, 03:58:22 pm
I'd quite like a high-powered diesel V70 estate with a couple of thousand miles on the clock.

In the real world, just nothing too small. I have big mats.

cheers

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 10, 2015, 10:50:26 pm
I set out out with a wish-list and a budget when I bought my current car. Only vehicle which made all was a Kia Ceed which has been no trouble and fits a highball and big air mat in the boot.

Top of my list was reliability- Kia do 7 yr guarantee which goes with the car when sold on so long as serviced once yearly at dealership. Includes all work and parts but not wear and tear (eg tyres.)

Might be worth a search

psychomansam

• forum hero
#2 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 11:52:26 am
£1800 Mondeo 2.0TDCI 130bhp 2006 70k 10.5 months MOT
Lack of service history. I checked the MOT history electronically, which looked pretty good and also verified the miles. Few advisories etc. HPI clear. Perfect condition inside. Starts, drives and stops nicely. Has the updated injectors unlike dodgy pre-2005 model.

Will either be a reliable bargain or will encounter diesel doom. Supposed to be good engines now though so let's hope for the former. should probably take it for a service.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 12:38:10 pm
you could just about buy my wife's number plate with your budget

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 12:40:36 pm
Where do you put the bouldering mats Lagers?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#5 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 01:09:16 pm
my spotters bring them

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 01:23:39 pm
You're confirming Slopers perceptions that all you NHS (and nearly NHS) workers have your noses in the trough ;)

Or have you opened up the 'Lagerstarfish' Sauna and Hot-tub ultimate relaxation centre - and this is one of your clients?

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#7 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 05:23:06 pm
You're confirming Slopers perceptions that all you NHS (and nearly NHS) workers have your noses in the trough ;)

Or have you opened up the 'Lagerstarfish' Sauna and Hot-tub ultimate relaxation centre - and this is one of your clients?

I don' think I've made that suggestion.  Professors on the other hand, sponging fuckers. :-*

cha1n

• forum hero
#8 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 07:22:48 pm
I wish I'd got here before you got the mondeo. I think they are designed to work until 80K and then everything starts breaking. Hopefully you'll be lucky.

Make sure there's no knocking that disappears when the clutch is pressed as that'll be the dual mass flywheel knackered and stand you in 800 notes to replace it with another dual mass (going solid doesn't seem to be a great ideal). The tensioner pulleys break (£150), turbos are prone to failing if the car hasn't been services regularly with the correct oil. Shame as they are nice cars to drive.

I have one sat on my mums drive that I can't bare to sell as then It would be official that I'd lost a tonne of money on it...

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 07:47:14 pm

I don' think I've made that suggestion.  Professors on the other hand, sponging fuckers. :-*

I prefer to think of myself as a scrounger to go along with the modern politic ;)

The cellar is full of thousands of pens, reams of paper and a multitude boxes of paperclips that I've liberated from the stationary cupboard over the last 9 years...

Make sure there's no knocking that disappears when the clutch is pressed as that'll be the dual mass flywheel knackered and stand you in 800 notes to replace it with another dual mass (going solid doesn't seem to be a great ideal). The tensioner pulleys break (£150), turbos are prone to failing if the car hasn't been services regularly with the correct oil. Shame as they are nice cars to drive.

I have one sat on my mums drive that I can't bare to sell as then It would be official that I'd lost a tonne of money on it...

That sounds grim ~ cars can = bottomless money pits. I was never quite sure about the Ford TDi's... some Focuses (Foci?) seem to go on well into the 200's - different lump in the Mondeo I guess.

Anyway Sam, you may have a good/uneventful example..... (hopefully)

cha1n

• forum hero
#10 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 08:22:41 pm
Oh yes, forgot about the leaking oil seals, £50 for a bloody oil seal!

I think the old TDDis were meant to be very good. early 2001 mondeos and earlier have them. I focus may well have used them.

I'm starting to consider getting a petrol for my next car, I've had diesels for years but they're starting to make the engines quite complicated now.

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 09:13:07 pm

Doesn't this pretty much sum up all modern diesels?

Risk of DMF breaking
Risk of turbo failing due to non-regular oil changes / stop-start driving

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 09:19:19 pm
I wish I'd got here before you got the mondeo. I think they are designed to work until 80K and then everything starts breaking.
My 2.2TDCi is currently at 164K.  Time for something new but it's in daily use and has been the most reliable car I've owned.

Now just watch my injectors go pfft! tomorrow...

cha1n

• forum hero
#13 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 09:23:35 pm
Well I think a lot of the problems are caused by not knowing how to drive a modern diesel. If you drive it like an old woman then the dmf is going to get shaken to pieces and the injectors are going to clog up. If you've got the 2.2 TDCi then I assume you spent the extra cash because you like to drive it quickly, as they should be.

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 09:32:33 pm
Now just watch my injectors go pfft! tomorrow...

The 3-series is in for MOT in a week, currently it's sitting at 174k. It's had a new turbo (@ ~ far too young) and a new DMF (@ ~165k). I think it'll get new rear discs and a handbrake kit next week. Possibly a new starter on the passenger side Xenon too.

rodma

• forum hero
#15 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 11, 2015, 10:26:40 pm
Well I think a lot of the problems are caused by not knowing how to drive a modern diesel. If you drive it like an old woman then the dmf is going to get shaken to pieces and the injectors are going to clog up. If you've got the 2.2 TDCi then I assume you spent the extra cash because you like to drive it quickly, as they should be.
And if you drive it like an old woman the dpf is going to need replaced.
Let alone the egr valve etc etc etc
I've been unlucky with all of my modern diesel VAG motors, all of which have had to be moved on due to choosing the earth ;)  to replace components.
Honestly, how can you make a car that only sneaks under 100g co2 per km by having electric power steering that needs replaced every 50,000 miles at an actual carbon cost (due to failure, I'm not that gullible ) and massive financial cost. It's total bullshit.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#16 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 12, 2015, 01:19:18 am

Ive had plenty of comments about my driving. Certainly never compared to an old woman.

tomtom

• forum hero
#17 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 12, 2015, 08:18:13 am

And if you drive it like an old woman the dpf is going to need replaced.
Let alone the egr valve etc etc etc
I've been unlucky with all of my modern diesel VAG motors, all of which have had to be moved on due to choosing the earth ;)  to replace components.
Honestly, how can you make a car that only sneaks under 100g co2 per km by having electric power steering that needs replaced every 50,000 miles at an actual carbon cost (due to failure, I'm not that gullible ) and massive financial cost. It's total bullshit.

I hope not, my 2011 golf of said low co2 emissions has just passed 80k... I service it every 10k and all its needed so far (aside from filters) are two tyres...

These diesels and the dpf like to run hot and need a good long run every now and then... It takes mine 30-40 miles before the oil temp is up to right - and on my usual 110mile journey - the second half of the trip always gives better fuel as the cars warmed up...

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 12, 2015, 08:24:48 am
That said - the days of the TDi are numbered... New EU rules next year mean that nitrogen emissions will have to be halved on new TDi cars - and with the rise of hybrids, mixed electric/petrol cars, plug ins etc.. diesels will further reduce imho (as they're not as economical until fully warm unlike petrol). Removing the dpf is now (or soon to be) a MOT fail (surprisingly wasn't up til now) so that will see some failures in the cheapy TDi market in coming years due to that cost...

I'm a year or two away from replacing the present steed, but will have a hard look at hybrids then - constantly evolving/improving etc...

Paul B

• forum hero
#19 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 12, 2015, 09:53:12 am
I was of the understanding that it's always been a fail just never a check (posters around my local MOT garage).

Changing the EGR stat on mine (BMW) changed it from never really coming up to temp (thanks to the cooling from a 330), to under 5 miles. £12 well spent.

Interestingly (or maybe not) the temp guages etc. are all damped to indicate "perceived quality" so they're not actually much use at all. The 3-series has a hidden menu system you can access that gives you actual temp read-outs. These are useful.

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 12, 2015, 10:02:55 am
Interestingly (or maybe not) the temp guages etc. are all damped to indicate "perceived quality" so they're not actually much use at all. The 3-series has a hidden menu system you can access that gives you actual temp read-outs. These are useful.

Yes - suspect thats the case - though I was going off the oil temp - which seems to respond quite quickly (ie rises 4-5 deg on uphill bit of motorway then drops back fairly smartly on the downhill)... I think the oil temp is proably a better indication of overall engine temp than water.. (water is hot after 3-4 miles - oil less so) yes I remember you saying changing the thermostat made a huge difference!!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#21 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 12, 2015, 12:40:56 pm
 :slap:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:47:01 pm by cheque »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#22 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 12, 2015, 12:45:16 pm
it's not actually our car (or plate) - it just happened to be parked outside our house by someone with the same name as Mrs Starfish

that plate is probably worth more than our 2 cars put together

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#23 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 12, 2015, 12:48:40 pm
 :lol: Evidently went toally over my head.  :look:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#24 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 12, 2015, 12:55:30 pm
That said - the days of the TDi are numbered... New EU rules next year mean that nitrogen emissions will have to be halved on new TDi cars - and with the rise of hybrids, mixed electric/petrol cars, plug ins etc.. diesels will further reduce imho (as they're not as economical until fully warm unlike petrol). Removing the dpf is now (or soon to be) a MOT fail (surprisingly wasn't up til now) so that will see some failures in the cheapy TDi market in coming years due to that cost...

I'm a year or two away from replacing the present steed, but will have a hard look at hybrids then - constantly evolving/improving etc...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/86198/volkswagen-golf-gte-2014-review

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#25 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 12, 2015, 01:10:30 pm
OO10 JAN would cost £2007 to buy and register according to the internet so lagers valuation is probably not far off.

I still don't understand why anyone pays money to label themselves a dick though.   :shrug:

tomtom

• forum hero
#26 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 12, 2015, 01:24:42 pm

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/86198/volkswagen-golf-gte-2014-review

Indeedy - got my beady eye on that... maybe in a year or so...

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#27 Re: WTD: Car ~£1500
January 12, 2015, 01:31:42 pm
Good timing! I'm just about to list my 2003 VW Passat Estate Sport TDI 130 (+remap) for sale. It's got 167k on the clock and I bought it with 82k on. It's a rock solid performer and the only reason it's going is because we now have a van. FSH with all the old MOT's, service receipts, tax discs, etc. It just had a full service on 26/11/2014 and I haven't really driven it since (included a new tyre). MOT is up until July/August time (I can check).

Bad points: some rust bubbling on front wheel arch and yesterday I noticed that the central locking didn't open the rear drivers door. This wasn't the case when it had a service otherwise I would have had it fixed. It's probably the motor in the door (it happened to the front door once which I fixed).

I'm after £1400 for it. Was going to list it for £1600 and see what happened. If you're interested drop me a PM and I'll send you some pics.

Most importantly, you can fit lots of pads in it, it does 50mpg, and I'd be surprised if it didn't make it to 250k miles.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal