Harder than everywhere else
3 (15.8%)
About the same
3 (15.8%)
Easier than most other places
1 (5.3%)
About right, with some sandbags for good measure
2 (10.5%)
We use so many grading systems no one has a clue!
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 22, 2004, 03:15:14 pm

British Grading.... (Read 7409 times)

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#25 British Grading....
July 23, 2004, 09:08:51 am
Quote from: "Pantontino"
As for Early Doors, I believe he might have been quoting the French gentlemen from HTTP.bloc - ooh, the irony. :roll:

Mr Panton you really are on the ball!  :8)

AndyR

• forum hero
#26 British Grading....
July 23, 2004, 12:22:23 pm
Quote from: "hongkongstuey"
the only traveller we've had through recently was AndyR and, to be honest, he didn't get up much......................... :wink:

Too true, what with your late night bars, bazillion percent humidity, 60 degree temperatures etc etc.....

Thought the grades were about right and maybe slightly on the stiff side, but then I'd just come from Castle Hill, where they're a bit generous (but we'd had perfect conditions).
Suspect your grades are probably spot on for cool weather, but when water is pissing out of your hands they felt a bit tricky.....

Enough excuses for you :lol:

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#27 British Grading....
July 23, 2004, 01:35:41 pm
Quote from: "a dense loner"

i think little or new areas are ripe for overgradin imho. if you clean/work/do a new prob, the grade it felt like to you could be a couple/few grades out on subsequent ascents cos of factors like cleaning, discovering new holds/sequences.

or, in the case of one of my local areas, ridiculously sandbagged. To wit - I got on another 7C/+ at Rocklands, and all but one of the moves in half an hour. The move I didn't get, I think I would have got were it not for the "dog with six cocks" syndrome that had me running around trying new things.

4 of us agreed that compared it's comparable in difficulty and style to a 7A at one of our local areas that we opened (rather than Mr Loskot who opened the 7C/+). We didn't intentionally sandbag it, but people are too scared to grade something above 7A or 7B unless they're really sure it's hard..

dave

#28 British Grading....
July 23, 2004, 01:41:12 pm
think a lot of it depends on the personality of the original developers, i.e. introvert or extrovert, belives they're shit or belives they're dope.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#29 British Grading....
July 23, 2004, 08:49:11 pm
yeh dom i agree some people take libertys with gradin. i think it's better to stiffly grade your own stuff then visitin loons won't say it's easy n when you travel grades come tumbling down, in theory at least :D

ironmonkey

#30 British Grading....
July 26, 2004, 11:51:11 am
Is it just me, or are only certain people allowed to climb certain grades!?

I had people tell me my boulder problems aren't so hard, but they still give them the full V grade treatment on their sponsors CVs!! (apoliges i'm bored at work and have little else to do at the moment!)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#31 British Grading....
July 26, 2004, 03:12:58 pm
Ooooh, he's slim shady the real slim shady, all you other ironmonkeys are just imitating.....

Tee Hee.

D'ya Know who it is yet?

dave

#32 British Grading....
July 26, 2004, 03:15:27 pm
go on rolf, spill the beans. you got any stylophones left?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#33 British Grading....
July 26, 2004, 03:19:08 pm
Its crimping Davey B, yorkshite's answer to the Harris, albeit not as old :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  (and has better shirts)(but the same car)

All out of xylophones mate, been selling them on eBay to try and buy mesen a medal like.

ironmonkey

#34 British Grading....
July 28, 2004, 09:49:17 am
Yes Dobbin its me and i felt like having a moan!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal