technical > computers, technology and the internet

Software for guidebook and topo making

(1/4) > >>

Will Hunt:
So lets say a mate of mine in prison has a Macbook Pro and wanted to put together a guidebook of the climbing he'd developed whilst in the nick.

I suppose he'd have two options: online publishing and print publishing.

Advantage of publishing online - very little expenditure, very easy to do.
Advantage of printing - you get to hold it in your hands. Downside being that you'd have to get the scripts written, get some proofs of how you want it to look, and then give it to the printers to sort out. Mucho costo for a guide that will probably have limited interest.

Regardless of which of the two approaches he takes (suggestions welcome Pete, Robin, Dave), he'll need to have a piece of DTP software that he can put together proofs in and perhaps also create the topos in. Does anybody know or have a suggestion of what software this might be? He doesn't mind spending a few fuck alls or a little more.

Johnny Brown:
I can't see there being a big market for climbs inside a prison so I'd go for pdf.

Most use professional software - Adobe Creative suite - which is expensive though you can rent for a few months. Alternatively there are some freeware alternatives or torrent the good stuff. I daresay a man not afraid of a bit of bird would go for the latter.

You want some either Photoshop or drawing software (Illustrator) for topos, and graphic design (Indesign) for the layout (though you can do a basic job with word or pages).

SA Chris:
Stick it in a wiki. Make topos using skitch.

joel182:
I remember finding an article on how to make topos a while back, hope thats of some use!

tomtom:

--- Quote from: SA Chris on December 19, 2014, 03:06:30 pm ---Stick it up yer wiki. Make topos using skitch.

--- End quote ---

+1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version