UKBouldering.com

2014: what are you proud of? (Read 9129 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#25 Re: 2014: what are you proud of?
December 30, 2014, 09:38:25 pm

P.S. tomtom I was in Climber this month, not Climb, if that helps?

I ran out of characters ;)

petejh

• forum hero
#26 Re: 2014: what are you proud of?
December 30, 2014, 11:15:14 pm
So, it seems, did Climber..

Sorry Fiend! I couldn't resist. (probably deserve a puntering for that!)

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: 2014: what are you proud of?
December 31, 2014, 02:30:57 am
I fixed my shoulders.

After climbing outside loads this year and not doing the right antagonist exercises I developed rounded shoulders and limited shoulder mobility - couldnt do wall slides  well for instance.

After researching the issue further (this helped loads) I used yoga to increase my mobility and develop awareness of correct body position and weights to strengthen the stabilizers - (specifically for me the serratus anterior, rotary cuff, rear deltoids, rhomboids and lower back).

Combined with changing my computer setup at work and at home as well as sleeping more on my back, I can now say I have reasonably healthy shoulders and normal shoulder posture, which seems to be surprisingly rare in climbers.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:38:11 am by krymson »

Paul B

• forum hero
#28 Re: 2014: what are you proud of?
December 31, 2014, 12:21:07 pm
I fixed my shoulders.

After climbing outside loads this year and not doing the right antagonist exercises I developed rounded shoulders and limited shoulder mobility - couldnt do wall slides  well for instance.

After researching the issue further (this helped loads) I used yoga to increase my mobility and develop awareness of correct body position and weights to strengthen the stabilizers - (specifically for me the serratus anterior, rotary cuff, rear deltoids, rhomboids and lower back).

Combined with changing my computer setup at work and at home as well as sleeping more on my back, I can now say I have reasonably healthy shoulders and normal shoulder posture, which seems to be surprisingly rare in climbers.

I really should see someone and get them to show me those Serratus Anterior exercises. I seem to get a very fatigued feeling at the base of my right shoulder blade after training and had a few issues last year where lifting my right arm I was 'cheating' and using anything other than the correct movement patterns.

Great article, thanks.

On this thread, proud of:
Standing up to people (way above me) and telling them they can't do/say what they're intending as they're yet to prove it, and what they actually do need to do to get there.
Being valued enough that they heeded this and now they're 'there'. Turns out I'm actually fairly valued in my team as a whole which baffles me given my general feelings towards work.

not proud of:
Still not trying hard enough at climbing. Other people try much much harder than I whereas I prefer to yield to fear of injurt or other such excuses. Poor form.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#29 Re: 2014: what are you proud of?
January 05, 2015, 11:12:34 am
Good thread...

Proud of:

Getting a new job; giving up smoking; getting below 14 stone for Font; winning the inaugural UKB fishing match; learning to fly fish; staying mainly uninjured; my wife for finally climbing 6a outdoors and getting thoroughly psyched on climbing generally, all whilst dealing with persistent vertigo attacks for most of the year!

Not proud of:

Not managing to keep below 14 stone; still being a bit shit with money (I'm nearly 40 ffs); pretending I'd given up smoking for three months earlier in the year!

Bring on 2015!

kelvin

• forum hero
#30 Re: 2014: what are you proud of?
January 05, 2015, 11:50:00 am
Nice work Selina.

Proud of?

Daughter graduating with a First (84 in her Dissertation). Her brother announced he's getting married next year... my kids are doing okay.
Taking the plunge myself and deciding to head off to Spain in October this year.
Buying a buy-to-let with my old business partner.
Still got no TV in the house.
Best Man for the fourth time - must do something right when it comes to friendship.
Staying single. I'm way more content this way. Non of the mad highs of being in love but peace of mind and contentment more than make up for it.
Managed to do 2 pullups in the Beastmaker mono pockets - greatest sporting achievement ever when you can't do any more even on a bar!

Not proud of?

Put a lot of weight on, like 7kg-ish. I could say I'm turning 50 this year but that'd be a pathetic excuse. The one I like to use is training heavy  :ras:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#31 Re: 2014: what are you proud of?
January 05, 2015, 11:53:50 am
Posting less on forums.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#32 Re: 2014: what are you proud of?