UKBouldering.com

Softshell or similar top for climbing (Read 8843 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#25 Re: Softshell or similar top for climbing
December 12, 2014, 12:42:09 pm
Yeah, though you can get away with them in an alpine couloir.

during which you spend most of your time doing nothing active

I thought you said you were bouldering? Are you that bad on slopers?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#26 Re: Softshell or similar top for climbing
December 12, 2014, 01:33:52 pm
ah, I see

I thought it was because wearing such garments on grit was a sign that the wearer has lost too much weight to be consodered healthy and/or attractive

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#27 Re: Softshell or similar top for climbing
December 12, 2014, 06:41:51 pm
Thanks for all the replies, quite informative.

I want something which I can climb in without overheating then sit on a windy Gogarth belay without shivering whilst my second leads through. Or just get to the top of Hen Cloud and not feel instantly hypothermic.

And I get some fashion tips and a video to boot. Cheers UKB  :)

Don't really care what it looks like down the pub. I don't drink.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#28 Re: Softshell or similar top for climbing
December 12, 2014, 08:18:26 pm
Sounds like you mainly want a windproof.

Something like the Rab cirrus or Montane featherlight? Typically 100gm and packs to a size of an apple. Climb in your long-sleeve thermal (or light fleece if it's chilly) then put it on at the belay. Everyone climbing on sea-cliffs should have something like this.

If you want a bit more warmth, next step up is a pertex/microfleece combo. I've got a Montbel one, Rab VR lite is the equivalent - 250gm, small coke can size - lighter than the original VR but not as robust or warm.

The original VR - or Buffalo equivalent - is good for grovelling up chimneys, iced up or otherwise - but a quite heavy for proper rock climbing. You wouldn't tow one up Positron. In any case, a separate light fleece or thick thermal plus windproof as above has more temperature flexibility in my view.

If it is going to be a bit cold, or your crag is quite big like El Cap. or St John's Head, you want a thin synthetic like the dead bird thing above. I've got a MEC version that's even better <300gm and squashes down to about a pint. It's brilliant, warm, fairly windproof and still small enough to carry on your harness.

When your big crag suffers from afternoon thunderstorms like the Tre Cima, I've climbed in a proper waterproof. Modern thin Goretex or Neo whatsit is light and not sweaty. Tears easily and expensively, so not an everyday choice.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#29 Re: Softshell or similar top for climbing
December 15, 2014, 10:44:02 am
Something like the Rab cirrus or Montane featherlight? Typically 100gm and packs to a size of an apple. Climb in your long-sleeve thermal (or light fleece if it's chilly) then put it on at the belay. Everyone climbing on sea-cliffs should have something like this.
:agree: Indispensible item, one of the very few bits of "proper" outdoor clothing I own. Combine it with a snood and beanie clipped to the same krab on your harness and it's the most warmth and flexibility for the least weight/size.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#30 Re: Softshell or similar top for climbing
December 15, 2014, 12:55:23 pm
Some interesting ideas to check out, thanks all.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#31 Re: Softshell or similar top for climbing
December 15, 2014, 04:00:28 pm
Good advice from Duncan there, although I'd say if you dress for St. Johns as you would El Cap... you're gonna freeze.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#32 Re: Softshell or similar top for climbing
December 15, 2014, 09:39:29 pm
I am bias but the Mountain Equipment Ultratherm jacket is very good for this. Wind proof with a lightweight lining, with stretch panels up the sides and under the arms so it has a really trim fit and climbs well. Packs up small with a clip loop and is nice and light..
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Mountain-Equipment-Ultratherm-Jacket.html

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#33 Re: Softshell or similar top for climbing
December 19, 2014, 10:42:55 pm
Some good info on this thread. I'll be buying a light wind proof in due course I think, but opted for the OR Ferrosi: http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-softshell-c95/softshell-jackets-c218/ferrosi-hoody-softshell-jacket-p3306

Free delivery within 72 hrs, great service.

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#34 Re: Softshell or similar top for climbing
December 20, 2014, 12:01:21 am
marmot driclimes are really good for the wind proof pertex with pile lining - which in my mind is the tits. quite light weight though, also they seem to have really narrow wrist bands that you cant adjust, not so good if you want to roll your sleeves up for a bit of ventilation and have trunks for arms. Overall though i usually find the marmot ones to be quite lightweight for a softshell, so good in warmer weather or when heavily active. They also come with a hood now so give a bit more versatility there. You'd probably need another jacket for belays if you're in a northern climate a massive fanny like me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal