UKBouldering.com

What would you invest in? (Read 2025 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
What would you invest in?
June 17, 2021, 04:46:57 am
How about a general Economics thread, also covering environmental/humanitarian concerns?

Interesting video here, about Aluminium Air batteries.

@about 13.30 .. bit of a wake up moment. It's so comforting to sit on the megabus of modern western life, without giving much thought to the number of human beings who live outside that.

The more you think about it, the more shocking it seems. I think many people are aware of the conditions for those people mining Cobalt etc, in places like the DRC, but making stronger associations between that and what we consume - trying to remain mindful of it - may lead to more creative decisions around what to invest in.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: What would you invest in?
June 17, 2021, 08:00:46 am
Frozen orange juice.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: What would you invest in?
June 17, 2021, 08:30:15 am
Pork Bellies Randall.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: What would you invest in?
June 17, 2021, 08:32:00 am
Frozen orange juice.

"Would you be helping me with my Rooksak?"

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: What would you invest in?
June 17, 2021, 08:56:23 am
Pork Bellies Randall.

My mistake. This is clearly why I’m not rich like Pete.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#5 Re: What would you invest in?
June 17, 2021, 09:18:26 am

You’re obviously just not being geeky enough about your frozen Orange juice, doing the donkey work to understand what the big players in the frozen fruit liquidised market are missing  😄

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#6 Re: What would you invest in?
June 17, 2021, 09:29:33 am
Triodos Bank crowd source platform is pretty cool if you are into patient impact investment. I do a lot of work with this team, they do some great stuff.

https://www.triodos.co.uk/raising-capital

petejh

• forum hero
#7 Re: What would you invest in?
June 17, 2021, 10:12:15 am

You’re obviously just not being geeky enough about your frozen Orange juice, doing the donkey work to understand what the big players in the frozen fruit liquidised market are missing  😄

Fruit market's all about the short squeeze, obvs.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#8 Re: What would you invest in?
June 20, 2021, 09:47:34 am
Triodos Bank crowd source platform is pretty cool if you are into patient impact investment. I do a lot of work with this team, they do some great stuff.

https://www.triodos.co.uk/raising-capital

There are lots of good places  to invest that don't involve things like cobalt or lithium mining companies trashing the developing world, plus increasing resources to help with sustainable investment like this one.

https://www.cisl.cam.ac.uk/business-action/sustainable-finance/investment-leaders-group/what-is-responsible-investment

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#9 Re: What would you invest in?
June 20, 2021, 02:02:52 pm
Pork Bellies Randall.

Is Pete Rich?  ;D

A couple of interesting links there - the one for Tridios giving a lot more insight into the whole crowd funding thing.

I suppose the question is "what are we all partners in?", and that is a question we can ask when it's convenient, and forget about when that's convenient too.

I believe environmental issues are a part of how we establish our relations with others - with a lot of consumption arising through things like social exclusion, very simply "shopping to feel better". This also impacts more directly on our relationship with the planet too.

Chasing Mammon is an expression of bereftness and lack in other areas, and our attitude to things is the only thing we really ever possess.

I was watching a few videos about new battery technology yesterday. I can imagine there are some good investment opportunities there (financially), but the real investment is in terms of how we relate to things. That is our life, isn't it?

I'm certainly not trying to sound pious. I'm just trying to think about how we measure success in this area.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal