UKBouldering.com

Albarracine bans chalk (Read 21674 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#25 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 01:03:12 pm
I think that composting toilets are a sensible solution in these areas.

They have them in Austria (lots) and France (Chateauvert) and they work well (although a friend recently said he was bemused to find people were deciding to go to the loo behind the toilet block itself).

I also think climbers as a whole need to get out of the mindset that dropping some load before a redpoint is a necesscity rather than an inconvenience that hadn't been planned for.

I've climbed with people before that have stopped on the way to a crag to buy lunch but wait 15 more minutes until we're at the crag before they make their mark. You have to wonder if there's some kind of appeal to going al fresco (Three nine excluded)?

...and yes, having lived out of a van for a large amount of time I won't be the one flinging the first turd. That said, in the USA I had very little call to do so and if I remember rightly only need to when feeling very ill.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#26 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 01:22:50 pm
Shitting in the woods maybe needs another thread? I spent two months sept/oct in Font. I've been going there years and really noticed the increase in two things; babies at the boulders and shitting in the woods. I don't much like babies ;) but really dislike turds amongst the boulders.

I was at the Cuvier bivouac site the night before it shut, good party but sad loss. I fear that the remaining bivouac sites may get shut down as well if climbers continue to treat them badly, ie shitting in the woods. Watching people wandering off into the woods with a toilet roll at Bouron Marlotte, was unbelievable FFS a toilet is provided! watching people pissing in full view of local picnickers also wont help keep the site open.

So I agree its time that the modern generation of boulderers take some responsibilty and generate some awareness.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#27 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 03:02:48 pm
Honestly, I don't get it.
I've been hauling around shit bags for the dog for years, they just as often get used for the kids and I've taken many of mine home over the years...
Might sound gross, but have used an upturned helmet, with a carrier bag spread around it; as a porta-loo on a few ledges/porta-ledges too.

Actually...

There really should be a separate "Do Bears...?" Thread...

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#28 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 03:13:27 pm
I don't think that the shit itself is as big off an issue as the paper people leave, when living out of a van around europe this summer I noticed loads of paper but not big piles of crap all over the place. If people did their business a reasonable distance (5-10mins walk?) from tracks and paths, the crag etc I don't think it would be such an issue so long as they covered it over and carried the paper out. (put it in a coke bottle, screw the lid on tight, bin.)

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#29 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 03:14:24 pm
I've not been to Albarracin though so I don't know about there specifically..

Wood FT

• forum hero
#30 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 03:18:03 pm
(put it in a coke bottle, screw the lid on tight, bin.)

Oaks.... shit...... in a coke bottle? what do you do, thumb it in or make sure you had a Buna the night before?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#31 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 03:24:02 pm
Honestly, I don't get it.
I've been hauling around shit bags for the dog for years, they just as often get used for the kids and I've taken many of mine home over the years...
Might sound gross, but have used an upturned helmet, with a carrier bag spread around it; as a porta-loo on a few ledges/porta-ledges too.

Actually...

There really should be a separate "Do Bears...?" Thread...

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#32 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 03:28:33 pm
(put it in a coke bottle, screw the lid on tight, bin.)

Oaks.... shit...... in a coke bottle? what do you do, thumb it in or make sure you had a Buna the night before?

Just the paper Guy. You could probably manage with a 2 liter though... or not

kelvin

• forum hero
#33 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 04:53:51 pm
Sunny Delight bottles might work.

petejh

• forum hero
#34 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 06:23:29 pm
A Dr Pepper bottle full of runny shit would still taste better than Dr Pepper.

tomtom

• forum hero
#35 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 10:33:14 pm
It's bizarre how people pick up their dog shit but not their own... Personally I'd rather bag up my own logs than a dogs..

Doylo

• forum hero
#36 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 10:42:26 pm
Dog shit tastes nicer though

cha1n

• forum hero
#37 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 10:46:07 pm
I'd wager that I'm one of minority that have a small spade in my climbing bag. I've been surprised how many climbers I've met that don't bother.

I don't really come from an outdoors background and thought that because most climbers do that they'd have some respect for the environment!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#38 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 02, 2014, 11:33:31 pm

I'd wager that I'm one of minority that have a small spade in my climbing bag. I've been surprised how many climbers I've met that don't bother.

I don't really come from an outdoors background and thought that because most climbers do that they'd have some respect for the environment!

Yep, we do.

With our Petroleum based clothing/ropes/bags/pads.

And Aluminium?
Fricken Eco bomb nightmare from Bauxite mine to expensive/energy intense refining, to clipping bolts/making a brew...

And that isn't even a tenth of it.

Actually the shit is probably the least harmful thing we carry to the crag...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#39 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 03, 2014, 08:51:47 am

I personally think this is the solution. I can't see climbers getting in the habit of bringing turds home in a bag, especially if they are in a van away from civilization for long periods of time and relying on going before you get to the crag is predictably unreliable. We had a dedicated digging instrument on our road trip. If you are staying in one place the trick is to dig tomorrows hole today. There's nothing worse than trying to urgently dig a pit in hard stony ground after a strong morning coffee. Like others have said the paper is often the bigger issue as the actual muck biodegrades fairly quickly. I look forward to the day when climbing shops sell branded turd trowels.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#40 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 03, 2014, 09:18:53 am
I look forward to the day when climbing shops sell branded turd trowels.

andy_e

• forum hero
#41 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 03, 2014, 09:28:27 am

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#42 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 03, 2014, 09:29:54 am
Like others have said the paper is often the bigger issue as the actual muck biodegrades fairly quickly. I look forward to the day when climbing shops sell branded turd trowels.

Lightening the load before getting to the crag is clearly optimal but, in case you can't manage this, I suggest people carry a children's hand trowel (and a cigarette lighter for the paper).

A good trowel. A ziplock bag in a dedicated dry-bag works for the paper if it's too damp to burn.

tomtom

• forum hero
#43 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 03, 2014, 11:57:54 am
Shit Shovel Shirley?

Paul B

• forum hero
#44 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 03, 2014, 01:01:55 pm
I personally think this is the solution.

It's a practical (attainable) solution but depending on the area I can't see human waste in any quantity doing wonders for nearby groundwater (I'm thinking of places like Albarracin here rather than the travelling climber in general).

Reducing the need (IMO) should come first, for instance, you shouldn't need to "go" when spending the evening at the Cornice (after parking at Millers Dale).

tomtom

• forum hero
#45 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 03, 2014, 07:45:54 pm
I personally think this is the solution.

Reducing the need (IMO) should come first, for instance, you shouldn't need to "go" when spending the evening at the Cornice (after parking at Millers Dale).

Precisely - I've never needed to drop a log at a UK bouldering venue... why not go at home, or the cafe or any where else...? Maybe I just don't like a breeze around my straining ringpeice :)

andy_e

• forum hero
#46 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 03, 2014, 07:55:32 pm
Why did I decide to read this whilst eating my tea?

tomtom

• forum hero
#47 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 03, 2014, 08:01:33 pm
Cut out the middle man - flush your dinner down the pan :)

petejh

• forum hero
#48 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 03, 2014, 08:45:46 pm
Reduce Reuse Recycle

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#49 Re: Albarracine bans chalk
December 03, 2014, 09:19:19 pm

Reduce Reuse Recycle

Poo, Package, Perambulate...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal