UKBouldering.com

house settlement, non-responding builders, advice needed. (Read 3062 times)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Few years back we had some building work done, started with an attic conversion which went fine then a ground floor extension.  Problems started when the builder suggested that rather than have a pillar in the middle of the room, as per architects plans, that we have a steel beam put in.  This seemed a good idea and cost was reasonable so we went for it. When it turned up it seemed a bit over engineered, the cross bar was .6 ton and the two posts .3 ton each. This is for a 3-bed 1930s semi.  Everyone expect the boss (all contractors) joked that the structural engineer had thought of a number and doubled it and complained about what a job it was going to be to get in. 

Anyway it went in (I wasn't there to see what it took although the labourer was only too happy to tell me how difficult it had been) and a few weeks later they were done and away.  Unfortunately cracks started to appear all over walls and then gaps in floors and around windows, floorboards started to creak where they hadn't before and floor tiles in a bathroom have cracked.  I polyfilled the cracks (and more would appear), he filled the gaps and talked about the house "settling".

The firm is quite reputable (not going to name them, obviously) and it had been all very friendly so there was no suggestion that it wouldn't be sorted out.  But a year later he was still talking about settlement, then after one return visit after I'd questioned this as being improbable he just stopped taking my calls.

We now have draughts again, both from around the windows where there are visible (although small) gaps and through the frames of the two affected windows, there's also leaks coming from around one window and the roof is leaking into the eaves.

But he won't answer my calls or respond to any form of communication, I've mailed him pictures of the leak and water lying all over the window sill but no response.  Last problem we had with the roof his sub contractors eventually turned up and put it right but no contact between me and him.

I suspect the steel, or at least fitting it, has caused the problems but have no way of proving that.  But the attic dormer and window they fitted are directly above it and they used timber for the structure of that, so circumstantially quite breakable by a .6 ton weight.

Anyone have ideas about whether the settlement is feasible or bullshit?

And what do I do next?

Thought about having a surveyor look at it but that'd cost big style for anything structural

Could have a pressure test but just confirms what I can see with my eyes.

if I have another builder look at it, it voids the warranty

Could invite the windows manufacturer to look at them and comment?

Could just suck it up and move, fancy a house closer to stanage with potential for a bigger wall anyway.

But even if I do these things then present him with the results is he bound to do anything about them?  Suspect he'll just keep ignoring me, feels like it's leading up to legal action, which I'd rather avoid obviously.

Any advice gratefully received.

karl s

Sounds like a job for the experts. I couldn't tell whether you were referring to the extension or the original house which had cracks appearing (the latter sounds more worrying).
Are you sure it will cost that much to get a surveyor out to have a look? For piece of mind, I think it's worth at least calling oneto get an idea of how much a callout would be.
If it ends up costing you a few hundred quid to get a surveyor's report done, then you will have something to present to the original builder that they can't dispute (It sounds as if you still have a warranty?)
Get another builder to look at it and then it will be just one builders' opinion against anothers and I don't think you will be any further forward in persuading the original builder to carry out remedial work.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Hi Ian,

In your shoes the first thing I would do is give Simon Palmer a ring - Ill PM his number. He's a climber and structural engineer who you will probably recognise from the Foundry and Im sure he would be happy to come round and give an initial opinion. It maybe that further monitoring is required which usually involves putting some rivets either side of cracks and remeasuring every couple of months.

I have had some experience of movement and the causes can be varied. In my case clay sub soil that expands in wet weather and contracts in dry and cracks in the building open and close accordingly after a particularly dry summer so the settlement thing is not potentially complete bullshit.

However, getting a professional involved is key as early as possible not just in pursuing compensation but also as their reports might be required in the future to help get further loans on the house from yourself or a prospective purchaser. Movement is likely to be picked up in the surveyor's report. Also there is an obligation to disclose this sort of info anyway when selling.  The professional costs are likely to be inconsequential in the bigger picture.

Stubbs

:agree:

Should be looking at <£500 for a structural engineer to visit and give you a second opinion on the works including a report. 

So the beam is spanning what used to be the exterior wall? Not seen one where the beam has support posts, normally they are tied back into the remains of the wall. Do you think it's where the post sit on the footings that is causing differential settlement?

rodma

• forum hero
Hmm, welcome to my daily world

1. send photos to original structural engineer and ask for them to comment. it may be a flaw in their design after all, in which case it is on their insurance. they may say it is the builder's incompetence if the work wasn't carried out in accordance with their design.

2. sounds like it may be a claim through your own buildings insurance, who will pursue whoever elses insurance that they can.

do step 1 first, don't spend any money on 2nd opinions yet. I'm happy to offer you any advices if i can be of assistance, this sort of pain genuinely form a a hefty part of my daily grind.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
:agree:

Should be looking at <£500 for a structural engineer to visit and give you a second opinion on the works including a report. 

So the beam is spanning what used to be the exterior wall? Not seen one where the beam has support posts, normally they are tied back into the remains of the wall. Do you think it's where the post sit on the footings that is causing differential settlement?

A full structural engineer's report cost us 300 quid in October.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Yes, across the width of the house, so about 5 metres maybe.  The cross beam sits between the support pillars rather than on top of them, so in effect .6 ton of steel and two stories of house are held up by 8x10mm bolts.

Foundations is a possibility, hadn't considered that.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Few years back we had some building work done, started with an attic conversion which went fine then a ground floor extension.  Problems started when the builder suggested that rather than have a pillar in the middle of the room, as per architects plans, that we have a steel beam put in.  This seemed a good idea and cost was reasonable so we went for it. When it turned up it seemed a bit over engineered, the cross bar was .6 ton and the two posts .3 ton each. This is for a 3-bed 1930s semi.  Everyone expect the boss (all contractors) joked that the structural engineer had thought of a number and doubled it and complained about what a job it was going to be to get in. 

Anyway it went in (I wasn't there to see what it took although the labourer was only too happy to tell me how difficult it had been) and a few weeks later they were done and away.  Unfortunately cracks started to appear all over walls and then gaps in floors and around windows, floorboards started to creak where they hadn't before and floor tiles in a bathroom have cracked.  I polyfilled the cracks (and more would appear), he filled the gaps and talked about the house "settling".

The firm is quite reputable (not going to name them, obviously) and it had been all very friendly so there was no suggestion that it wouldn't be sorted out.  But a year later he was still talking about settlement, then after one return visit after I'd questioned this as being improbable he just stopped taking my calls.

We now have draughts again, both from around the windows where there are visible (although small) gaps and through the frames of the two affected windows, there's also leaks coming from around one window and the roof is leaking into the eaves.

But he won't answer my calls or respond to any form of communication, I've mailed him pictures of the leak and water lying all over the window sill but no response.  Last problem we had with the roof his sub contractors eventually turned up and put it right but no contact between me and him.

I suspect the steel, or at least fitting it, has caused the problems but have no way of proving that.  But the attic dormer and window they fitted are directly above it and they used timber for the structure of that, so circumstantially quite breakable by a .6 ton weight.

Anyone have ideas about whether the settlement is feasible or bullshit?

And what do I do next?

Thought about having a surveyor look at it but that'd cost big style for anything structural

Could have a pressure test but just confirms what I can see with my eyes.

if I have another builder look at it, it voids the warranty

Could invite the windows manufacturer to look at them and comment?

Could just suck it up and move, fancy a house closer to stanage with potential for a bigger wall anyway.

But even if I do these things then present him with the results is he bound to do anything about them?  Suspect he'll just keep ignoring me, feels like it's leading up to legal action, which I'd rather avoid obviously.

Any advice gratefully received.

Drop me a pm with your email and if you can email over the docs I'll have a review of the matter with one of our consultants who's a surveyor who specifically deals in prof neg / constructions disputes.

Also speak to your insurers about funding any claim, although in my experience insurers are shit and will say there's no prospects when there are good prospects, hence getting things lined up before you go there (I won't charge for a review & etc) means that if you do have a claim there's a much better chance they'll fund it.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Hmm, welcome to my daily world

1. send photos to original structural engineer and ask for them to comment. it may be a flaw in their design after all, in which case it is on their insurance. they may say it is the builder's incompetence if the work wasn't carried out in accordance with their design.

Unfortunately it was the builders Structural  engineer who specced the beam, I have no idea who that was.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
However, getting a professional involved is key as early as possible not just in pursuing compensation but also as their reports might be required in the future to help get further loans on the house from yourself or a prospective purchaser. Movement is likely to be picked up in the surveyor's report. Also there is an obligation to disclose this sort of info anyway when selling.  The professional costs are likely to be inconsequential in the bigger picture.

Cheers for the PM, Simon. Hadn't though t of this lot either so thanks for that

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Drop me a pm with your email and if you can email over the docs I'll have a review of the matter with one of our consultants who's a surveyor who specifically deals in prof neg / constructions disputes.

Also speak to your insurers about funding any claim, although in my experience insurers are shit and will say there's no prospects when there are good prospects, hence getting things lined up before you go there (I won't charge for a review & etc) means that if you do have a claim there's a much better chance they'll fund it.

That's really kind, thanks. I'll get the stuff together and scanned, etc

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal