UKBouldering.com

General Yorkshire grit conditions?? (Read 76647 times)

nathanie1

• regular
#125 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
February 09, 2015, 12:39:41 pm
If Ben's Groove isn't in nick, you could always have a play on the first half of zoo york. The holds always appear dry and should keep you occupied for long enough  :)

tbh I think it is not a great idea climbing on a semi-wet problem.  If the crag is wet go somewhere else

apologises, I wasn't trying to advocate climbing on wet/semi-wet rock, I just wanted to get Footwork keen for zoo york so I'll have someone to work it with.

Whilst I'm here, I was at Brimham yesterday and all the snow has gone and the conditions were perfect.

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#126 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
February 09, 2015, 12:53:44 pm
If Ben's Groove isn't in nick, you could always have a play on the first half of zoo york. The holds always appear dry and should keep you occupied for long enough  :)

tbh I think it is not a great idea climbing on a semi-wet problem.  If the crag is wet go somewhere else

apologises, I wasn't trying to advocate climbing on wet/semi-wet rock, I just wanted to get Footwork keen for zoo york so I'll have someone to work it with.

Whilst I'm here, I was at Brimham yesterday and all the snow has gone and the conditions were perfect.

zoo york was pristine on saturday, a bit scrittly at the top but...

nathanie1

• regular
#127 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
February 09, 2015, 01:04:08 pm

zoo york was pristine on saturday, a bit scrittly at the top but...

was it you who joined us on Ju Ju and Crystal Method? I thought I recognised you, must have been from your Tour du North vimeo :beer2:

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#128 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
February 09, 2015, 05:33:20 pm
Widdop was all wet today sadly, crazy wind too.

Woodhouse Scar all dry tho.

tomtom

• forum hero
#129 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
February 09, 2015, 05:35:52 pm

:( I have a grudge match to settle with Fight on the Black - so asking some Widdop locals, does it ever dry during cold times of year? Or is this something to do on the cusp of spring/summer when its had a good dry run...?

nathanie1

• regular
#130 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
February 09, 2015, 05:55:03 pm

:( I have a grudge match to settle with Fight on the Black - so asking some Widdop locals, does it ever dry during cold times of year? Or is this something to do on the cusp of spring/summer when its had a good dry run...?

Likewise, I went to try Fight on the Black by myself twice over the christmas period, including on christmas day. The protocol was to park up, get blown around on the walk in, find the climb dry, celebrate, check the top out, warm up for 15 minutes, pull on feeling strong and then instantly get pissed on by newly arrived rain clouds.

Earlier sessions have seen me leaving with the mother of all flappers on my index finger, twice.

I don't have it in me to return any time soon.

Stubbs

#131 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
February 09, 2015, 07:15:05 pm
FoB dries out pretty well in winter when it's a bit warmer (I did it in Jan '13 apparently) there is a bit drainage line onto the top holds though, I think with it being so high and out west it can get a lot more rain (and obvs the snow hangs around longer).

tomtom

• forum hero
#132 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
February 09, 2015, 07:22:41 pm
Flapper on the left index from that bug pebble? I found I could climb it fine to the break with that pebble finger taped up. Damp above there when I last tried :(

andy_e

• forum hero
#133 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
February 14, 2015, 04:55:12 pm
Did anybody succeed at climbing rocks today?

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Perfect at Widdop today. The bit of wind blowing onto the boulders made it extra grippy. Get up there while you can.

Took a walk to Lower Gorple which was all dry apart from the start of Trouble With Tribbles. Stunning venue too, I will be returning...

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
Any Ilkley locals know if it will be dry late afternoon today? Sweet dreams block and first arete area.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#136 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 01, 2015, 09:03:35 am
Is there anywhere that won't be completely fucked by fog today?

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#137 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 01, 2015, 09:28:42 am
What fog? No fog in ls20

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#138 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 01, 2015, 09:46:40 am
muckle fog in ls21 but blue sky is beginning to be visible through the pea soup

tomtom

• forum hero
#139 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 01, 2015, 10:27:04 am
Be warned - once out of the fog it's scorchio... Tops off and sweaty grit over in Lancashiresville. #CallingOfTheGritMyArse

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#140 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 01, 2015, 10:46:18 am
Sacked off trying to get down this weekend due to forecast fog. FFS.

tomtom

• forum hero

andy_e

• forum hero
#142 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 01, 2015, 11:02:45 am
Fogless in Otley now but the only dry place will probably be roasting.

tomtom

• forum hero
#143 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 01, 2015, 11:04:54 am
I think there's some premature anticipation shooting off about Grit Connies the last couple of weeks..

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#144 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 01, 2015, 08:26:45 pm
Went to Sigsworth in the end. The north facing walls were completely soaked. Completely coated in water from clagageddon. The walls that got the sun were scorchio.

Durbs

• forum hero
#145 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 06, 2015, 09:26:55 am
Any chance of anything being dry this weekend?

Taking some colleagues up for their first grit outing but the weather appears to be conspiring against us :( Based near the the Roaches but happy to travel for dry rock!

36chambers

• forum hero
#146 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 06, 2015, 10:46:20 am
Any chance of anything being dry this weekend?

Taking some colleagues up for their first grit outing but the weather appears to be conspiring against us :( Based near the the Roaches but happy to travel for dry rock!

It's been a very misty wet week in Leeds. Almscliff will obviously be your best bet, but the current forecast doesn't look very promising. It doesn't take much for the cliff to dry, but at the very least it needs to stop raining :(.

Places like Caley may take weeks to fully recover.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#147 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 06, 2015, 12:25:15 pm
Any chance of anything being dry
No. Nothing.

tomtom

• forum hero
#148 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 06, 2015, 02:26:43 pm
Excuse the profanity - but its a fucking shite forecast... rain then showers then rain then showers. Bits of the cliff will dry in 30-40 min in a stiff wind but (a) the Cliff when its windy can be an opressive place and (b) the showers seem to be set to rattle in too fast - it dries it gets wet it dries it gets wet it dries it gets wet. Plus its warm and been misty - so I suspect most lime in the UK is fucking condensed to fuckety fucking fuck at the moment.

Written from the climbing wall - where I've had to go yesterday and today. Bah fuckinghumbug.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#149 Re: General Yorkshire grit conditions??
November 06, 2015, 02:32:26 pm
It feels like a bad dream that I can't wake up from. Every time I check the weather I'm convinced that it's all been a big practical joke and that it'll be sunny with a nice breeze.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal