UKBouldering.com

Final hard pitch on Dawn wall redpointed (Read 99604 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
Thumbs up from Obama too  :o

The thing that resonates with me the most is that it shows what can be achieved with a good siege. When I first saw this in Progression it looked like one for the next generation if not impossible but they seiged it into submission. Long live the siege!

webbo

• forum hero
Gresh must have been unavailable.  ;)
No he was doing BBC breakfast this morning so needed an early night.

tomtom

• forum hero
Where's Bear 'George foreman' Grylls when his country needs him eh? Eh?

karl s

Is Obama posing in front of a painting of the Dawn Wall?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Awesome.  :great:

Is Obama posing in front of a painting of the Dawn Wall?

The Dawn Wall is the other side of the Nose I believe. Barack around.

The thing that resonates with me the most is that it shows what can be achieved with a good siege. When I first saw this in Progression it looked like one for the next generation if not impossible but they seiged it into submission. Long live the siege!

I thought this was a quote from Obama at first.  :lol:

Doylo

• forum hero
It was  ;)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Where's Bear 'George foreman' Grylls when his country needs him eh? Eh?

Er.. on the cover of GQ magazine actually.  :shrug:

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero

Love affair surely? Beautiful.

That's how I relate to it anyway. .

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
I think it's amazing. Being discussed on Radio 2 in a few minutes apparently......

Doylo

• forum hero

All beautiful sieges are a love affair.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero

Aye :yes:

Joepicalli

• forum abuser

Err, no they are seething cauldrons of loathing and self-doubt, interspersed with bouts of petulant obscenity and completed with a vague feeling of anticlimax and inadequacy. You've obviously not been doing them right.

Doylo

• forum hero
I've never loved a women but i thought that's what love affairs were like too?  :shrug:

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
I've never loved a women but i thought that's what love affairs were like too?  :shrug:
Ah! sorry Doylo, right you are then

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero

Err, no they are seething cauldrons of loathing and self-doubt, interspersed with bouts of petulant obscenity and completed with a vague feeling of anticlimax and inadequacy. You've obviously not been doing them right.

They are.  :doubt:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
My father just called me to ask whether I knew that two climbers had climbed El Capitan. I asked him how did he know, and he told me that it's on every TV News!

Teaboy

• forum hero
On the bright side, from now on, every time you tell someone you are climber they will ask if you'd like to climb the Dawn Wall rather than Everest; seems an improvement, somehow.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
But they'll still ask "so how high have you climbed?".

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
They'll keep asking if you climb without rope like Manolo and if you can "pull yourself up witg one finger". To the second question I will loudly answer "You can bet your ass I can!!!"

tomtom

• forum hero
Apparently they've a press conference nowish (7pm) not sure if it's being screened anywhere but probably more on the news channels later.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
It's been funny fielding questions from colleagues all week at work... It's certainly caught the imagination of the public which is a good thing.  I bet those of you who've climbed El Cap are loving the attention  :)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
It's been funny fielding questions from colleagues all week at work... It's certainly caught the imagination of the public which is a good thing.  I bet those of you who've climbed El Cap are loving the attention  :)

I figured the PR machine must have done a sterling job when my Dad, who's generally unaware of anything not on either ITV or the Racing Post website, asked whether I "knew 'owt 'bout those fellas doing World's hardest climb on a rock in America; it's never been climbed before and they're using only their fingers :ohmy:, and having to camp up there!".

Tricky really, explaining both why it's so special, whilst acknowledging that there are lots of free routes up El Cap and that no pitch of the climbing is at the current limit... at least not without mutually painful attempts to explain aid climbing and red pointing... in the end I gave up - said it was great stuff and told him about the alarm calls for night-time skin cream applications and poo tubes!

Paul B

• forum hero
On the bright side, from now on, every time you tell someone you are climber they will ask if you'd like to climb the Dawn Wall rather than Everest; seems an improvement, somehow.

You'd think wouldn't you, yet yesterday in the office two people (one 'climbs') were discussing the dawn wall and discussion got onto "those tent things, that they hang" and the other said with great confidence "they use those on Everest too".

:chair:

gme

• forum hero
Its not hard to see why non climbers cant really get there heads around what they did when a lot of climbers dont get the differences in the various aspects of the sport.

Aid, free, free solo, solo (roped), redpoint, onsight, flashed, ground up, top roped, worked, looked at a bit from an ab rope but didnt touch the holds etc etc. 5 mins on UKC and you can see that a lot have no idea of the difference.

What they have done seems pretty straight forward to me, they started at the bottom and climbed to the top in one go and every pitch was red pointed by both of them. The rest seems irrelevant.

The only thing that seems a bit odd is not climbing all the pitches in sequence. No issue with it just seems odd.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal