UKBouldering.com

[Scotland][Torridon][Various 6A-7B] (Read 4246 times)

richieb

• menacing presence
[Scotland][Torridon][Various 6A-7B]
October 08, 2014, 08:57:09 pm
With the new season upon us, a quick recap of a few new things done since the Torridon guidebook came out in November last year.
Most of these are not hugely significant but probably worth having the info out there about gaps that have been filled.  As always, some of these may have been done before but nothing came to light when we were researching the guide.

I've given the new problems a number suffixed with ‘A’ to indicate where they would fit in the guidebook.

The Potential Seven 7B (60) - The project pictured on page 35 of the guide is now an actual seven climbed this summer by visiting Canadian Kevin Wilkinson.

Fifty Days of Grey 7A sitter (110A) – The slightly overhanging left wall of the bay. Sit start on a low juggy ledge, crimp up to join and cross the diagonal crack (bay crack) and finish direct (easier and highball).   

Putting the Holes In 6B sitter (156A) – A clean open wall and slab a few metres right of ‘more e2 than v2’. Start in a small niche and climb slightly right then back left through the break and slab above.

Lie of the Land 6C (156B) – The shorter steeper wall right again, starting from a flat grassy platform. Start righthand undercut and left hand gaston, up to better holds and finish direct.

Found but Lost 6A+ sitter (87A) - At the back of the tetrahedron block is a cave. Climb the short burly roof on the Liathach side on good sloping holds and great grippy rock.

Another Pit Sit 7A sitter (55) - Start crouched on the square boulder embedded in the ground, undercut the main block and make a burly couple of moves into the stand up start.

Otter Wall Arete 6A (145A) – The airy lefthand aręte of Otter’s wall

Morning Afterglow 6B+ sitter (142A) - The short slopey left to right rising rib at the very right end of the angel walls. Superb rock, some of the best in Torridon. 

Lonely Outlier 6A+ sitter (159) - A short slopey block a couple of hundred metres across the vague valley in front of the dinosaur area, close to the Liathach path. Start matched on a rail on the left side of the block, traverse right, move up to the lip and mantle over. 

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#1 Re: [Scotland][Torridon][Various 6A-7B]
October 08, 2014, 09:18:06 pm
Calling of the sandstone!

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: [Scotland][Torridon][Various 6A-7B]
October 09, 2014, 08:39:47 am
Cheers Richie!
And Fiend,the sandstone was called weeks ago........ :)

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: [Scotland][Torridon][Various 6A-7B]
October 09, 2014, 09:35:18 am
Oh,and for completeness
30A Drop The Pilot6A
Low R to L traverse starting hands on wedged block.thru' tricky drop down to finish up 32.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#4 Re: [Scotland][Torridon][Various 6A-7B]
October 09, 2014, 12:08:26 pm
Nice one richieb!

Can't wait to get back there, what a place!
Cheers

Eddies

• forum hero
#5 Re: [Scotland][Torridon][Various 6A-7B]
October 09, 2014, 12:16:47 pm
I agree.
I had a day earmarked for bouldering whilst I was in Torridon on a weeks holiday with my girlfriend this May... It was the only day it rained.... literally just as id booted up  :'(

Definitely going back

richieb

• menacing presence
#6 Re: [Scotland][Torridon][Various 6A-7B]
October 09, 2014, 06:58:33 pm
Apologies sherlock, I forgot about that traverse  :sorry:

richieb

• menacing presence
#7 Re: [Scotland][Torridon][Various 6A-7B]
November 01, 2014, 08:25:38 pm
Finally got around to uploading some non-quality footage of a few these problems. No tunes, just wind noise I'm afraid.
Also, another problem I missed in the original list:

55A. Challenging Times 6C
From Another Pit go rightwards along the crag until just past a rowan tree. There is a short wall above a spikey boulder and patioed landing. Climb the wall rightwards with a reachy move off a small right hand layaway. (Chris Houston 2013)

Ian T

• regular
#8 Re: [Scotland][Torridon][Various 6A-7B]
November 06, 2014, 02:46:57 pm
In addition to those, there's a few easier new problems mentioned here.

http://www.northwestoutdoorsullapool.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/torridon-bouldering-update.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal