UKBouldering.com

Dave Pegg. Some very sad news. (Read 43140 times)

Jonathan Lagoe

#25 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 05:47:09 am
That's just terrible news. I only got to know Dave this year and he was the nicest most genuine and encouraging person you could possibly wish to climb and hang out with.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Archangel

#26 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 05:56:44 am
I just looked at ukb for the first time in a century and this is my reward; to learn about the passing of a legend. Although I haven't seen Dave since his Lancaster MSc days in 1990, I am really saddened to hear this news.  He was an absolute legend and genuinely wonderful bloke.
He brought a real element of stardom to our pretty untalented climbing world at Lancaster Uni in those days and despite our punterishness he would always be keen to drag us out climbing.  I remember photographing him in Hodge Close doing nails new routes, with John Gaskins.  I remember the wheel coming off his Skoda whilst driving back to Lancaster at pub closing time after a trip to err Kilnsey I think; it bounced off down the road leaving him stranded in the middle of town at pub chucking out time in a skoda with three wheels (and that's well before Skodas were 'okay').  I remember a desperate story of a rescue from a gritstone (first ascent I think) where someone had to lower him a rope and he had to lean out and catch it and the desperate consequences of doing so.  I remember his smiling face at parties. I remember going with him to clean First Last and Always and him making the Cumbrian look like a path.
I heard he went out to America to be a journalist and his first article was something along the lines of 'Why Americans are shit at climbing', which was more of a joke about the difference between the American propensity to positively reinforce ("you own it") and the UK one to mercilessly take the piss ("you fat b etc."). 
We only interacted for a short time but he influenced me forever, I have lots and lots of happy memories and am really saddened to hear this news.
My sincerest condolences to his nearest and dearest. Jason Clay

Archangel

#27 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 05:59:15 am
I also remember laughing like a drain hearing about him smearing Vaseline on the holds of a project at Kilnsey to stop a French superstar stealing it.

RIP Dave

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#28 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 06:37:01 am
Awful news... RIP

T_B

• forum hero
#29 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 08:44:04 am
Dave and Fiona were kind enough to let us stay at their house when we visited Rifle, in 2005. Dave had built the house from a 'kit' and I was really impressed with what he'd achieved. He seemed like he'd carved out a really great life. So very sad. RIP Dave.

Duma

• forum hero

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 11:45:42 am
I didn't know Dave personally but am aware of his awesome new routes.So sad.
Sincere condolences to his wife,family and friends.

SamT

• forum hero
#32 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 12:08:02 pm

Awful news.

Never actually knew Dave personally, but he was around the place when I started climbing.  Definitely an inspiration and nost probably one of those accredited with 'bringing limestone power back to grit' 

Would it be appropriate to post up the Power of Climbing pages.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#33 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 01:01:27 pm
Likewise I never knew him, but was aware of his exploits on grit through avid magazine reading when I started, and was in awe of his exploits, especially of the picture posted already. His Utah Bouldering Guide gave me to some of most enjoyable days bouldering I've ever had, and I will always be grateful for that.

RIP, thoughts with all his family and friends who knew him.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#34 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 01:53:22 pm
He wrote an article about the Red River Gorge on the other channel that inspired me to America on my own on a whim- one of the best decisions I've ever made. RIP

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#35 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 02:00:05 pm
Oh Jesus. How's Fiona? I can hardly bare to think how she must be feeling. Poor Dave did what he felt he had to, he's beyond us.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#36 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 03:19:21 pm

Shocked by this, what a massive shame.  Peggo will be missed by many, a great guy. Many escapades off the crags as well as on them.

My thoughts go out to his family.

Thanks for posting this DT.

remus

• forum hero
#37 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 06:27:59 pm
Such sad news. Didn't know him myself but THAT picture of him on MaDMAn is, for me, one of the defining images of grit.

DPM have a piece up: http://www.dpmclimbing.com/articles/view/dave-pegg-prominent-climber-and-guidebook-publisher-gone

SamT

• forum hero
#38 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 11:17:27 pm
I didn't know Dave on a personal level so to mourn him at a personal level would be sycophantic.  However, some of my close friends knew him very well so tonight I think of them and their loss.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#39 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 11:25:57 pm
Thanks for that Sam...

Can't understand this..

Simply... Gutted.

Was a great great guy, not seen him for near on two decades, but memories run deep.

tomtom

• forum hero
#40 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 11:36:34 pm

Such sad news. Didn't know him myself but THAT picture of him on MaDMAn is, for me, one of the defining images of grit.

Agree completely.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#41 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 11, 2014, 02:45:38 pm
Sad to hear of this, Dave Pegg was, is a big name in British climbing. What a legacy.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#42 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 11, 2014, 05:50:49 pm
Dave was a lovely guy. I first met him up in Newcastle when I was just starting my climbing career, and kept in touch when he moved to Sheffield. He had lots of time and patience for a shy kid. I was once coming down to sheffield for a competition and Dave offered for me to stay in his room for the weekend. He was going away but, with typical kindness, told me to help myself to anything in his food cupboard. After he left I went to the kitchen to make myself some dinner and opened the cupboard to find six bottles of fat burner pills and a mouldy potato.

Rest in peace Dave.

cuboard

• regular
#43 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 11, 2014, 09:41:57 pm
Thats very sad news.... I have fond memories of hanging out with Dave when he lived at Edgedale rd. He too... encouraged me as a total punter to push harder and be strong and at the same time he was very modest about his own achievements.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#44 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 12, 2014, 12:08:53 pm
Hi folks.

To share memories of Dave, a low key get together has been arranged for Sunday.

I appreciate that this is at short notice, and won't be convenient for everyone, but we'll do our best to accommodate.

The plan.

This Sunday 16th November, meet in the Peak, Stanage Plantation from noon onwards, then down to the Grouse Inn from about 4.30 - they should have room then - for beer/food, for those who are into that sort of thing. We will try to make arrangements then, for a venue back in Sheffield, in an attempt to accommodate those who couldn't get out earlier in the day.

Remember, this is for Dave, so bring your memories of him, and good banter, so that he's with us all in spirit. I've looked at the weather, which seems good enough for now. Don't worry if conditions aren't quite good enough for The Joker.

I will gladly collect any photos that people have, possibly with a view to putting together an album - in particular for his Mum Ann. I'm sure pretty much anything will be appreciated.

It would be good to have some idea of numbers, so if you can make it, either PM me, or drop me a text on 07935333012. Likewise, if you would like to come along, but can only make an evening venue in Sheffield, drop me a line.

I hope you can make it.

Dave.

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#45 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 12, 2014, 12:52:57 pm
nice one dave, i'll dust off the beer towel

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#46 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 12, 2014, 01:01:54 pm
There is also a move to have something bigger, more like what was done to remember Rachel all those years ago. I will post something when we have a better idea.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#47 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 12, 2014, 01:11:27 pm
Any memorial/celebration event should preferably involve climbing hard grit in shorts weather...

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#48 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 13, 2014, 10:32:29 pm
Here are some photos of Dave as I remember him.

Hope you like them. Thanks to STP for sorting them out.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:10:00 pm by shark, Reason: improving? links »

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#49 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 13, 2014, 11:31:33 pm
Is the middle one 'left El Sherman' on the Mushroom Boulder? If so I remember this being an absolute bastard at the top (sans pads)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal