UKBouldering.com

Homemade kneebar pad thingy (Read 25281 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
February 01, 2012, 11:18:33 am
Was browsing an old US Climbing mag and noticed this

Might be of some us, hope it's readable. Save it to your browser and zoom if not, it's a high res scan, so should be OK.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#26 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
February 01, 2012, 05:51:38 pm
but couldn't fit it on my thigh and was several inches off doing the straps up.

Have you got monsterous thighs or something?

Xenia Onatopp was my mam.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures

Doylo

• forum hero
#28 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
February 09, 2012, 02:41:23 pm
This is my home effort for a route project i've got,works a treat. Jean/ rubber combo

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#30 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
February 09, 2012, 03:48:31 pm
Do they have them in a large?

Paul B

• forum hero
#31 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
February 13, 2012, 02:33:28 pm

The Five Ten Neon Kneebar is guaranteed to downgrade climbs. We’ve backed a super sticky layer of Stealth Mystique Rubber with a working micro-porous synthetic liner. The snug fitting Neon is ergonomically engineered to allow full knee articulation while protecting and clinging to any angle rock.

http://fiveten.com/products/accessories-detail/12519-neon-knee-bar

Well I managed to pick up one of these. Supposedly they're selling like hotcakes, but there'll be one more for sale shortly.

I was fairly disapointed with the knee pad. This year, all of the (cheating) Peak-based kneebars I've found (at the Cornice) involved the region from just above my kneecap to mid way up my thigh.

I tried the fiveten pad in this position and it was instantly obvious it wasn't going to work. The change from front to back of the pad isn't that angled meaning that when you bend your knee past 90 deg, the rear of the pad starts sticking into the back of the knee.

This is made worse by the heavily stitched (and very stiff) pull on loops that finish here and again, stick right into the back of your knee. With my knee completely bent it was pretty uncomfortable as the elastic, and pull on loops were basically loading my collateral ligaments.

It was a bit disapointing as the pad in other aspects looked to be quite good, it has an elasticated neoprene sheath that you pull on and then fasten with velcro, this was fairly snug on me and by fastening the velcro I doubt it'd slip much. The rubber seemed reasonably flexible (more so than the upskill pad) and the stitching was recessed so it'd hopefully take some abuse. Ditto with the pull on loops, I don't think you'd rip one off in a hurry.

I think it'd work perfectly well as a thigh pad (well above the knee) for sticking your legs behind tufa's but for anything else I'm not so sure. Certainly I'll be looking to DIY (or Stu's Mum depending on psych).

Obviously this is just my opinion and it might fit others like a glove.

abarro81

• forum hero
#32 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
February 13, 2012, 02:37:51 pm
You must be getting fat Paul, I tried one last night at the works and thought it was on the large side for my leg  8)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#33 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
February 13, 2012, 04:06:20 pm
 Most pads tend to slip down onto the knee joint, the thigh is an awkward shape to pad. Sweating and downward pressure in use also tend to push the pad south. I resorted to sticking my homemade pad in place with double sided sticky tape when doing Monumental! One day someone will have a brainwave and invent some sort of braces/suspenders to hold the pad up, and the image of the mincing sport climber will be complete.

Paul B

• forum hero
#34 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
February 13, 2012, 07:18:10 pm
Most pads tend to slip down onto the knee joint

I doubt this would slip much for thigh based use but placing it just above my knee it (badly) interfered with the rear of my knee joint.

tomtom

• forum hero
#35 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
February 13, 2012, 07:34:29 pm
bearing in mind 5:10's legendary quality/sizing control, you may find a different one may be perfect!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#36 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
February 13, 2012, 11:29:39 pm
One day someone will have a brainwave and invent some sort of braces/suspenders to hold the pad up, and the image of the mincing sport climber will be complete.

A couple of piercings like this could be used to tie it in place?

Ged

• junky
#37 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
November 03, 2014, 09:28:44 am
Does anybody know where you can buy some vibram or stealth or any suitable rubber to stick on for a homemade one?  Much appreciated

Ged

p.s. or anybody have some that they'd be willing to sell?

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#38 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
November 03, 2014, 10:44:13 am
You might be able to buy some off a resoler. The only place I've found to buy it is in Germany, with outrageous postage costs.

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Vibram-Grip-sole-and-top-piece-rubber-sheet-7510-1-8mm-black::1810.html?XTCsid=b39d8863765a5fca52af72bd69840c8f

abarro81

• forum hero
#39 Re: Homemade kneebar pad thingy
November 03, 2014, 06:43:24 pm
Can get vibram rand rubber from Llanberis resoles. Possibly 5.10 stuff too, can't remember. Just email and ask for the size you want, cost me about £7 for a pads worth IIRC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal